New Sub-Forum: Tantra Talk

Messages from the admin team about how the forum operates. Please read them!
Mr. G

New Sub-Forum: Tantra Talk

Post by Mr. G »

Those of you may have seen the new sub-forum entitled "Tantra Talk":

Tantra Talk

As Tantra often involves vows and samaya related to secret practice, a sub-forum has been created where Vajrayana practitioners can pose questions, and any of our members or staff can reply confidentially by PM.

Please be advised that we are simply fellow practitioners on the path. To our knowledge we don't have a Vajrayana instructor among us. Also be sure to include the lineage and the teacher who gave the initiation so the members who may have received the same teachings can better assist you.

Please note: the Tantra Talk sub-forum has been set up in such a way that members will not be able to reply in public via the topic itself. We feel this setting is in keeping with the sensitive nature of this subject.

Thanks
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Luke

Re: New Sub-Forum: Tantra Talk

Post by Luke »

Okay, interesting. I hope this will benefit people.

But could you please post something to make it clear that this is about Buddhist Tantra and not about Hindu Tantra or about whatever modern, sex-related thing is considered "tantra" these days. I don't think we want people asking about three-hour prostate massages...

Perhaps the title could be "Buddhist Tantra Talk"? This might sound slightly less catchy, but it also sounds less provocative.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Luke wrote:Okay, interesting. I hope this will benefit people.

But could you please post something to make it clear that this is about Buddhist Tantra and not about Hindu Tantra or about whatever modern, sex-related thing is considered "tantra" these days. I don't think we want people asking about three-hour prostate massages...

Perhaps the title could be "Buddhist Tantra Talk"? This might sound slightly less catchy, but it also sounds less provocative.
Good idea! Thanks Luke :)

Best,
Laura
ground

Post by ground »

No offence intended but I think approach breaches the rule that tantra is a matter of guru and practitioner. One may even consider this approach to be a transgression if undertaken by those who practice tantra.

Kind regards
spiritnoname

Post by spiritnoname »

With the submission of the transmission information practitioners may come in contact with their Vajra brothers and sisters, that is permissible.

Revealing your yidams however directly contradicts the heart advice of some teachers, generally seems like a bad idea. Anonymous posters may have no issue here, maybe,... it's unclear to me.

It's tricky to say the least, how to moderate moderators if admin can read private messages between posters?
Also, how can we know if the posters actually have the transmission or are just hunting for info? :shock:

It's better than before anyways I think, maybe,.. I dunno,.. I'll delay forming a solid opinion. :coffee:

One thing is clear,.. everyone needs tutoring,.. including me haha.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

spiritnoname wrote:
It's tricky to say the least, how to moderate moderators if admin can read private messages between posters?
Hi spirit,

Admins and mods cannot read private messages between posters
Also, how can we know if the posters actually have the transmission or are just hunting for info? :shock:
Yes, this is why members need to be wary of their responses and perhaps even establish rapport with the member asking the question. Members replying to and asking questions are responsible for their own samayas at the end of the day. This sub-forum merely acts as a medium for the exchange of information.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

TMingyur wrote:No offence intended but I think approach breaches the rule that tantra is a matter of guru and practitioner. One may even consider this approach to be a transgression if undertaken by those who practice tantra.

Kind regards
Hi. Yes, often it is restricted to Guru and Disciples who are Vajra Brothers and Sisters who shared the same empowerment and can therefore discuss it.

Equally, some questions may well be very basic, for example explaining the different levels of Tantra.

If a question relates to a practice for which the questioner has received an empowerment, it depends on what it is. The answer may be to refer them back to their root guru, or to online resources which may be used in support, such as the Berzin Archives.

However, this need not always be so. For example the question may relate to a Kalachakra empowerment given by HHDL. It may well be that, if they give details of where and when they received it, we can find another person who attended the same empowerment and is thus able to verify this and then discuss it. The idea of doing so by PM is to ensure that nobody else can read the conversation.

This has recently been the case for me in advising someone online who had received an empowerment from a specific guru at the same time as myself. I assure you that there are secure ways of establishing this, especially with Highest Yoga Tantra, where samaya and vows must be respected.

There are no guarantees here, and it is a new venture, but I think this is certainly much better than dealing with such issues in an open forum, where Mods may need act to protect people from potentially harmful actions or 'transgressions' as you put it.

Hope that reassures you. :)
Left

Return to “Announcements”