Server migration Sept 22

Messages from the admin team about how the forum operates. Please read them!
WoodsyLadyM

Re: Server migration Sept 22

Post by WoodsyLadyM »

I rather dislike the new colors. Is it possible to set up the forum where we have a choice of different color schemes? Maybe there already is but I can't figure it out. Thanks.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

This new reddish color is actually horrendous. It made me wonder if there was an error with my monitor. Can we just go back to the original color scheme used as before, pre-server migration?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

It's a test of equanimity. :tongue:

No matter what colors are used someone will complain; it's the nature of a large group. Perhaps some future software version will have that option where individual users can choose their own color schemes. When we moved to the new server, we updated the software to the latest version, so regular updates do occur, I imagine color choices will be something available in a future update.
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

New colors are fine. I miss the old ones, but I'm glad the site is back. Thank you.

Jake
justsit

Post by justsit »

Norwegian wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:37 pm This new reddish color.... It made me wonder if there was an error with my monitor.
That was my thought as well. On the board index page, the header is a reddish brown, under that a beige, and the sections are pink fading to tan. I guess my graphics card is further gone than I thought. :techproblem:
kend

Post by kend »

Have been unable to access the sister site Dhammawheel.com for over a week (after going there every day for years). Get no response or a message "Secure Connection Failed".
I am not very skilled with the computer. Can someone help?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

kend wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:14 pm Have been unable to access the sister site Dhammawheel.com for over a week (after going there every day for years). Get no response or a message "Secure Connection Failed".
Same problem for me with Dharmawheel here. Binocular gave a good advice in the respective thread on Dhammawheel. Now I log in from US.

I hope that problem can be fixed.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Ok, we'll check if there is something more we can do to help solve this. In the meantime, check on other computers in your home that have not accessed DW previously. And then if there is no problem getting in with the other computers, then you know that the problem is with your regular computer, cache, previous dns caches.

Ctrl+shift+del
keep cache checked and clear 'everything'
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

kend wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:14 pm Have been unable to access the sister site Dhammawheel.com for over a week (after going there every day for years). Get no response or a message "Secure Connection Failed".
Sorry, I forgot:
binocular wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:07 pm Try and see if you have access via a proxy.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-anonymous ... ers-818058
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

DNS wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:16 pm Ok, we'll check if there is something more we can do to help solve this. In the meantime, check on other computers in your home that have not accessed DW previously. And then if there is no problem getting in with the other computers, then you know that the problem is with your regular computer, cache, previous dns caches.

Ctrl+shift+del
keep cache checked and clear 'everything'
Seemingly, the cache is not the only problem. There seems to be an issue with allowing certain IP-adresses. :shrug:
kend

Post by kend »

DNS and Ayu, thanks for the suggestions.
Having this problem with desktop computer and smartphone. Suspect that others must be also.
Ctrl Shift Delete & select everything does not help.

All things are impermanent, including access to Dhammawheel.
Will check again at a later time.

May all beings be happy and secure.
May all beings have happy minds...
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Another thing that might work: flushing the dns
https://www.whatsmydns.net/flush-dns.html
Most operating systems and DNS clients will automatically cache IP addresses and other DNS results, this is done in order to speed up subsequent requests to the same hostname. Sometimes bad results will be cached and therefore need to be cleared from the cache in order for you to communicate with the host correctly. All major operating systems allow you to force this process. Outlined below are the common steps you will need to follow in order to flush your DNS cache.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

DNS wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:18 pm Another thing that might work: flushing the dns
https://www.whatsmydns.net/flush-dns.html
Most operating systems and DNS clients will automatically cache IP addresses and other DNS results, this is done in order to speed up subsequent requests to the same hostname. Sometimes bad results will be cached and therefore need to be cleared from the cache in order for you to communicate with the host correctly. All major operating systems allow you to force this process. Outlined below are the common steps you will need to follow in order to flush your DNS cache.
I'll try it tomorrow. :smile:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Since I still see problems, there must be others with the same difficulties, so I'm posting my experience.

I have no problem with this site, but, even now, several days after the IP has changed, I cannot connect to dhammawheel.com from work (using the same laptop that works fine with my home ISP). There must be some seriously long caching going on somewhere in the network.

I can connect using the http://zend2.com/ proxy (no signup, and it does connect to secure servers), so that may be a solution for some.

Of course, if they can't connect, they won't see this message, but I gather some still have intermittent connections.

Mike
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

FWIW, I've had no connection problems. Then again, since before the changeover I've only connected via this one computer.

Avatars are still on the "wrong" side here but flipped back to the "right" (i.e. left) side on DWT a while ago.

Thanks for all the hard work that (I'm sure) is going on behind the scenes.

:namaste:
Kim
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

to help get around your DNS settings and cache, I heard this might work:

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

DNS wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:20 am Our webhoster has informed us that our private, dedicated server will be moved to a new facility. They assured us the databases will be safe, but just to make sure we did a full-back up yesterday of all sites.

According to the webhoster:
* Your server will be hosted in modern environmentally-friendly datacenter, thanks to the hydro-electric capabilities, provided by the Niagara Falls;
* Superior connectivity, provided by fully-redundant multitiered 10GE network with excellent throughput and low latency to both Europe and the US, due to strategically beneficial location on the East Coast (New York).

Migration itself incurs up to 24 hours of downtime. Unfortunately, this is the fastest and most trouble-free way to accomplish this.
IP addresses of your server will change. You will have to update your DNS records and, possibly, DNS server settings for your domains.
So this site and all other affiliated sites to this one will be down for approximately 12 to 24 hours on Sept. 22 (GMT -5).

Our webmaster will handle all the DNS and other technical work required. He has also stated that he might be able to have the sites up on Sept. 22 as a 'read-only' that is we won't be able to make posts, but we might be able to at least read some posts from the previous days until all sites are back up online at the end of the day or early Sept. 23 (New York time).
Hi David,

Firstly I would like to thank you for time and energy in making this site available to us. I believe that it really has a positive role to play.

The move has been very successful overall.

There is just one small glitch: for some reason the video links are not working properly. There is no preview (just a black square) and one cannot play them. I noticed this after I included a video link in a post of mine.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
_Namaste_

Post by _Namaste_ »

i cant seem to log off i would have made my own topic but i couldnt find make a new thread button either
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

AvaLily wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:09 pm i cant seem to log off i would have made my own topic but i couldnt find make a new thread button either
If you mean in this Announcements sub-forum, I think only mods can.
_Namaste_

Post by _Namaste_ »

:oops: sorry

Return to “Announcements”