Server migration Sept 22

Messages from the admin team about how the forum operates. Please read them!
DNS
Site Admin

Server migration Sept 22

Post by DNS »

Our webhoster has informed us that our private, dedicated server will be moved to a new facility. They assured us the databases will be safe, but just to make sure we did a full-back up yesterday of all sites.

According to the webhoster:
* Your server will be hosted in modern environmentally-friendly datacenter, thanks to the hydro-electric capabilities, provided by the Niagara Falls;
* Superior connectivity, provided by fully-redundant multitiered 10GE network with excellent throughput and low latency to both Europe and the US, due to strategically beneficial location on the East Coast (New York).

Migration itself incurs up to 24 hours of downtime. Unfortunately, this is the fastest and most trouble-free way to accomplish this.
IP addresses of your server will change. You will have to update your DNS records and, possibly, DNS server settings for your domains.
So this site and all other affiliated sites to this one will be down for approximately 12 to 24 hours on Sept. 22 (GMT -5).

Our webmaster will handle all the DNS and other technical work required. He has also stated that he might be able to have the sites up on Sept. 22 as a 'read-only' that is we won't be able to make posts, but we might be able to at least read some posts from the previous days until all sites are back up online at the end of the day or early Sept. 23 (New York time).
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Server migration Sept 22

Post by Ayu »

Vacation for the moderators!!! :twothumbsup:

Thank you for the information.
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Thanks for the heads up!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Reminder:

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

It took much longer than expected due to webhosting company delays. At least posts have been restored that were made between the back-up date and when the server went down for the move.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

The move was successful, we are on the new server now. However, we will be down a little later today for some more scheduled maintenance, but hopefully for just a short time.
emaho

Post by emaho »

Hi David,

thank you for going through all this trouble for us! :twothumbsup:
David N. Snyder wrote:...between the back-up date and when the server went down for the move.
Are you saying the company that moved the server did not make a backup right before they shut the server down? :shock:
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

emaho wrote: Are you saying the company that moved the server did not make a backup right before they shut the server down? :shock:
Correct, the companies rely on the customers to do that. That is one of the reasons e-sangha went down permanently way back in 2009 because they didn't do a back-up before it crashed or got hacked or whatever happened. If they had done a back-up, they could have re-started with a new server.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Thanks for your efforts David; may all your sites remain solid and secure. :twothumbsup:
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
emaho

Post by emaho »

David N. Snyder wrote:Correct, the companies rely on the customers to do that. That is one of the reasons e-sangha went down permanently way back in 2009 because they didn't do a back-up before it crashed or got hacked or whatever happened. If they had done a back-up, they could have re-started with a new server.
Yup, I know, that was most unfortunate. But before moving a server? You as customer have no chance to know in which minute exactly they turn the server down, so in my understanding it would be the technicians job to make the final backup. Or to advise the customer to turn the forum software to read-only mode right before making the final backup. :shrug:
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Forum colors and avatars back on the left and some other features will be back to "normal" soon.
justsit

Post by justsit »

Getting this message at sign on (Firefox):

www.dharmawheel.net uses an invalid security certificate.
The certificate is only valid for dharmawheel.net
Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

David N. Snyder wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:46 am Forum colors and avatars back on the left and some other features will be back to "normal" soon.
Noooo - keep the blues, please. :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

justsit wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:15 pm Getting this message at sign on (Firefox):

www.dharmawheel.net uses an invalid security certificate.
The certificate is only valid for dharmawheel.net
Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN
Correct, we still need to transfer over the security certificate, which should be done later today.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Looks like the security certificate is transferred.

:twothumbsup:

Kind of like the blue, too. Like we changed mandalas - we're now in Abhirati.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

I also like the color change :tongue:
cky

Post by cky »

It seems there is something wrong with the mail configuration of the new server. Having forgotten my password, I tried to have DharmaWheel send me a new one. Each time, there was no email even after hours. I then started to check the mail server logs and found this:
NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from ec2-52-52-250-185.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com[52.52.250.185]: 450 4.7.1 <ip-172-31-5-34.us-west-1.compute.internal>: Helo command rejected: Host not found; from=<[email protected]> to=<[email protected]> proto=ESMTP helo=<ip-172-31-5-34.us-west-1.compute.internal>
Only after I disabled "reject_unknown_helo_hostname", the mail was accepted. I figure most mail servers these days run with this option enabled, since its useful against spam.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

:twothumbsup: Happy to see the board again. I had no access for two days.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Colors are back to more traditional look. And it helps me tell the 3 forums apart with the different colors.

(you might have to hit refresh on your browser to see the new colors)

And in honor of the new changes, I have changed my username to DNS which are my initials and also is an acronym for Domain Name Server. :tongue:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

DNS wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:42 pm Colors are back to more traditional look. And it helps me tell the 3 forums apart with the different colors.

(you might have to hit refresh on your browser to see the new colors)

And in honor of the new changes, I have changed my username to DNS which are my initials and also is an acronym for Domain Name Server. :tongue:
Being the rare right winger here, I guess having the avatars etc on our right side is a break-thru (or only impermanent)?

Return to “Announcements”