Big changes over at DW (Theravada) and new forum

Messages from the admin team about how the forum operates. Please read them!
DNS
Site Admin

Big changes over at DW (Theravada) and new forum

Post by DNS »

See:
https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32021

There were some issues over at DW Theravada with some contentious discussions on politics so in an effort to make it more Dhammic focused, these changes were made. News and Politics can still be discussed here at DW Mahayana; it doesn't appear to cause as much strife here, but you may also want to join this new forum, once we have it up and running in a couple of weeks or less.
Fortyeightvows

Re: Big changes over at DW (Theravada) and new forum

Post by Fortyeightvows »

should do the same thing here.
the only reason it doesn't cause strife here is because those who are in the minority know to keep quite since the mods will shut down any dissenters
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 3:47 am should do the same thing here.
the only reason it doesn't cause strife here is because those who are in the minority know to keep quite since the mods will shut down any dissenters
Nonsense, on both counts.

The forum is not a bad idea though, perhaps the oppressed huddled masses can who have been so gravely mistreated at DW Mahayana can find some solace there.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 4:10 am
Nonsense, on both counts.

The forum is not a bad idea though, perhaps the oppressed huddled masses can who have been so gravely mistreated at DW Mahayana can find some solace there.
You forgot the :tongue: smiley.

:tongue:
Kim
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Right on; when the Left is in control they stay that way with domination & intolerance.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

The announcement uses both Dhamma and Dharma as part of the proposed new forum title. However, either could lead to confusion if the 'wheel' aspect is used. Dharma Paths is distinct, so why not Dharma Practice, Dharma Engaged, or something other than 'wheel'.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:57 pm
Right on; when the Left is in control they stay that way with domination & intolerance.
You post random political stuff with the intent mainly to stir the pot, then you get upset when people call you on it, and actually expect you to defend your positions. No wonder you've developed a persecution complex about DW. Don't make this thread your passive-aggressive sounding board, and if you have a problem with the forum address it like a an adult, instead of making snide comments in an unrelated thread. Goes for both of you.

Better yet, if you honestly feel your rights have been consistently impinged upon here, take to it to the new forum. No one owes you a vehicle to espouse your views here if most of your time is simply spent complaining about how oppressed you are. Safe spaces indeed. Pot meet kettle.

-Khunu Lama
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

Call me old fashioned, but I find it poor form to talk like this to someone double your age, JD.

Many good folks take political stances very close to heart. I've also met some lovely people who espoused bizzare political views. We have to be careful not to make too much of it. The thicket of views and such... .

Happy for DW- Theravada decision. Here? Not sure, not as urgent at least.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Dan74 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:55 pm ... Many good folks take political stances very close to heart. I've also met some lovely people who espoused bizzare political views. We have to be careful not to make too much of it. The thicket of views and such... .

Mahayana Buddhism has always had a more actively "engaged" aspect thanks to the bodhisattva ideal. It's important to me and it's actually one of the reasons I started hanging out over here.
Some highly respected Theravada teachers - Bhikkha Bodhi, in particular - argue that social engagement is an important part of the path but many others emphasise separation from the world in aid of focusing on private practice.
So yes, that fits with your, "Here? Not sure, not as urgent at least," comment.

That said, DWE or whatever it's called will welcome participants from all traditions.

:namaste:
Kim
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Dan74 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:55 pm Call me old fashioned, but I find it poor form to talk like this to someone double your age, JD.

Many good folks take political stances very close to heart. I've also met some lovely people who espoused bizzare political views. We have to be careful not to make too much of it. The thicket of views and such... .

I respect someone not based on their age, but on their views and actions. I judge someone not based on their age, but on their views and actions.

As for being good folks, as an example (and I'm not talking about Nicholas Weeks now), if someone is an Alt-Righter, that is not "good folks" to me. Can't ever be. They automatically disqualify, as such views and actions does not correspond with what I deem as "good folks". And I do actually make something out of it, because if someone expresses their support in the views set forth by such individuals, groups, organizations, parties, and politicians, then they have a wish, an intention, a motivation, based in the support and appreciation of such views. Political views are something one wants to manifest into actual situations, to be implemented into society.

You may call these things a "thicket of views", but we live in society, and society functions (for better or worse) as a result of these views, with actions arising from those views, and so I do not want a society that is governed and run by such people.

Good folks do not mistreat others. Good folks do not mistreat the environment. Good folks try their best to live in harmony with all things. Such folk are lovely. Alt-Righters, not so much.

Now, as for the post by JD above, if you had ever paid attention to Nicholas Weeks' post history, you'd understand that JD's comment here is appropriate.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Dan74 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:55 pm Call me old fashioned, but I find it poor form to talk like this to someone double your age, JD.

I find it poor form to complain about being oppressed on a forum you've used for years without ever engaging in good faith conversation to solve the problems you claim are so pressing, regardless of age.

It's one thing to claim there is some unconscious bias in moderation of political topics, i'll be the first to admit that's probably the case. It's quite another to claim there is a conspiracy of silence or similar on the part of the mods to active go after people with right wing views, that is nonsense am I am tired of hearing it stated publicly, particularly from people who've never lifted a finger to address their problem. Passive aggressive sniping knows no age limit.

However, this is probably exactly why it's a good idea to have this new forum. I for one am really tired of fielding endlessly complex complaints about "political discrimination" on this forum, in the time I've modded here I've gotten them from both sides, and no one is ever satisfied. Perhaps on this new forum people can speak their minds in an environment more tailored to the kind of ...whatever it is they are looking for.

-Khunu Lama
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:22 am
Dan74 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:55 pm ... Many good folks take political stances very close to heart. I've also met some lovely people who espoused bizzare political views. We have to be careful not to make too much of it. The thicket of views and such... .

Mahayana Buddhism has always had a more actively "engaged" aspect thanks to the bodhisattva ideal.
Yes, in the right context.

For example see the quotes in my sig.

“Higher faculties of perception” come starting with the Path of Seeing.

Therefore until that point, our Sadhana & Meditation practices are more important than “engaging”.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Norwegian wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:25 am

...if someone is an Alt-Righter, that is not "good folks" to me. Can't ever be. They automatically disqualify, as such views and actions does not correspond with what I deem as "good folks".

Perhaps.

And their polar opposite, the sjw’s, aren’t really any better.
Last edited by Sādhaka on Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sādhaka wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:21 am

And their polar opposite, the sjw’s, aren’t really any better.
Really? People concerned about social justice are not better than Nazis and White Supremacists? Get a clue dude. Next you are going to be telling us that some of the right wing marchers in Charlottesville were "good people."

In case you forgot:
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

I am practicing the Six Perfections.

Kevin...
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Where did I imply that I would think that alt-righters might be “good people”, let alone white supremacists?

I can already see this isn’t going to go anywhere constructive.

It’s better for western Buddhists to stay out of politics (well the current politicians from both the ‘left’ and the ‘right’ are the ones who should stay out of politics the most actually). Not that anyone here will likely heed this. People are free to do what they want.
Last edited by Sādhaka on Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Politics is so goddam boring.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:54 am Politics is so goddam boring.
We live in a world full of people, we should try to make it a better place.

Kevin...
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

I’ve noticed that when many western Buddhists hear something that they don’t want to hear, they come with “you can’t fix samsara”.

But then when it comes to their viewpoint or an viewpoint popular among western Buddhists, all of an sudden it’s like, well maybe we can fix samsara a little bit.
Last edited by Sādhaka on Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

When you don't stand up for what is right, you don't stand up for what is right for many sentient beings.

When you do stand up for what is right, you do stand up for what is right for many sentient beings.

It really is as simple as that.

For example, if you become involved in environmentalism with a Bodhicitta intention, you can help stop or impede Climate Change on this planet. Do you know how much merit you gain, preserving the environment for so many people, animals, and other beings, and preserving a world where Dharma lives so that is can persist?

Kevin...

Return to “Announcements”