Dharma Wheel (Engaged)

Messages from the admin team about how the forum operates. Please read them!
User avatar
Dorje Shedrub
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Dharma Wheel (Engaged)

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:27 am

The emphasis at DWE will be engaged Buddhism, so political and news discussions need to incorporate some aspect of Dharma. The forum is both Theravada and Mahayana, so there will be a variety of views. Some interesting conversations have started. I hope that members from Dharmawheel will visit and share their wisdom. :namaste:

DS
For as long as space endures
And for as long as living beings remain,
Until then may I, too, abide
To dispel the misery of the world.
- Shantideva, The Way of the Bodhisattva

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 28243
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Dharma Wheel (Engaged)

Post by Malcolm » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:42 am

Dorje Shedrub wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:27 am
The emphasis at DWE will be engaged Buddhism, so political and news discussions need to incorporate some aspect of Dharma. The forum is both Theravada and Mahayana, so there will be a variety of views. Some interesting conversations have started. I hope that members from Dharmawheel will visit and share their wisdom. :namaste:

DS
Far as I can tell, the place is filled with the Buddhist version of the alt-right. Wankers.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

amanitamusc
Posts: 1264
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 am

Re: Dharma Wheel (Engaged)

Post by amanitamusc » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:19 am

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:42 am
Dorje Shedrub wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:27 am
The emphasis at DWE will be engaged Buddhism, so political and news discussions need to incorporate some aspect of Dharma. The forum is both Theravada and Mahayana, so there will be a variety of views. Some interesting conversations have started. I hope that members from Dharmawheel will visit and share their wisdom. :namaste:

DS
Far as I can tell, the place is filled with the Buddhist version of the alt-right. Wankers.
First laugh of the day,many thanks. :cheers:

Norwegian
Posts: 1395
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Dharma Wheel (Engaged)

Post by Norwegian » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:30 am

Dorje Shedrub wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:27 am
The emphasis at DWE will be engaged Buddhism, so political and news discussions need to incorporate some aspect of Dharma. The forum is both Theravada and Mahayana, so there will be a variety of views. Some interesting conversations have started. I hope that members from Dharmawheel will visit and share their wisdom. :namaste:

DS
I have no interest in that forum, sorry.

User avatar
Dorje Shedrub
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Dharma Wheel (Engaged)

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:17 am

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:42 am
Far as I can tell, the place is filled with the Buddhist version of the alt-right. Wankers.
I think this will change. I still hope that some people from here will visit and share their insights.

DS
For as long as space endures
And for as long as living beings remain,
Until then may I, too, abide
To dispel the misery of the world.
- Shantideva, The Way of the Bodhisattva

User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 8141
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: Dharma Wheel (Engaged)

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:20 am

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:42 am
Dorje Shedrub wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:27 am
The emphasis at DWE will be engaged Buddhism, so political and news discussions need to incorporate some aspect of Dharma. The forum is both Theravada and Mahayana, so there will be a variety of views. Some interesting conversations have started. I hope that members from Dharmawheel will visit and share their wisdom. :namaste:

DS
Far as I can tell, the place is filled with the Buddhist version of the alt-right. Wankers.
Without a representative vast left-wing conspiracy on the forum to blame all social ills on, they will be bored in no time;)
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

User avatar
Ayu
Former staff member
Posts: 6987
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:25 am
Location: Europe

Re: Dharma Wheel (Engaged)

Post by Ayu » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:40 am

I registered yesterday and haven't seen any altright views yet.
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Fruitzilla
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:44 am

Re: Dharma Wheel (Engaged)

Post by Fruitzilla » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:37 pm

Ayu wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:40 am
I registered yesterday and haven't seen any altright views yet.
They are there. Not nearly as much as in dhammawheel though it seems. Just the fact that Retrofuturist has registered himself under the username SethRich and has a conspiracy site in his tagline is enough for me to never ever register there.

This thread has some ( including some Paul Joseph Watson verbal vomit ): https://dharmawheel.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 6&start=10

User avatar
Dan74
Founding Member
Posts: 2467
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:59 pm
Location: Lyss, Switzerland

Re: Dharma Wheel (Engaged)

Post by Dan74 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:25 pm

Fruitzilla wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:37 pm
Ayu wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:40 am
I registered yesterday and haven't seen any altright views yet.
They are there. Not nearly as much as in dhammawheel though it seems. Just the fact that Retrofuturist has registered himself under the username SethRich and has a conspiracy site in his tagline is enough for me to never ever register there.

This thread has some ( including some Paul Joseph Watson verbal vomit ): https://dharmawheel.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 6&start=10
SethRich has now deleted his account and is no longer a member here.
https://dharmawheel.org/viewtopic.php?f ... rt=10#p463

I think that Paul, as a rank-and-file member, like everyone else, has the right to express his views, even those I find pretty repugnant (as long as some clear lines are not crossed - clear fabrications, vilification , etc). As the Admin of DW, that's another matter and that inappropriate, in my view.

To be honest, even when Ben was Admin, and I tend to agree with Ben's view a lot more, I also thought he was sometimes too political. After all a Dharma forum is about Dharma, so activities that go with the Dharma, like compassionate action (e.g. helping those especially in need of help), working to protect the environment, etc are absolutely fine, even essential, but getting into the Culture Wars, from either side, I find rarely leads to anything worthwhile.

_/|\_

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 28243
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Dharma Wheel (Engaged)

Post by Malcolm » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:48 pm

Fruitzilla wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:37 pm
Ayu wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:40 am
I registered yesterday and haven't seen any altright views yet.
They are there. Not nearly as much as in dhammawheel though it seems. Just the fact that Retrofuturist has registered himself under the username SethRich and has a conspiracy site in his tagline is enough for me to never ever register there.

This thread has some ( including some Paul Joseph Watson verbal vomit ): https://dharmawheel.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 6&start=10
KIm O'Hara says:
SethRich has now deleted his account and is no longer a member here.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Fruitzilla
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:44 am

Re: Dharma Wheel (Engaged)

Post by Fruitzilla » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:58 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:48 pm
Fruitzilla wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:37 pm
Ayu wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:40 am
I registered yesterday and haven't seen any altright views yet.
They are there. Not nearly as much as in dhammawheel though it seems. Just the fact that Retrofuturist has registered himself under the username SethRich and has a conspiracy site in his tagline is enough for me to never ever register there.

This thread has some ( including some Paul Joseph Watson verbal vomit ): https://dharmawheel.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 6&start=10
KIm O'Hara says:
SethRich has now deleted his account and is no longer a member here.
Ah, that's quite a difference. When I last looked he was still an admin.

User avatar
egon
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: USA

Re: Dharma Wheel (Engaged)

Post by egon » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:10 pm

Hello everyone! I'm pretty active on DWE and I've registered here at DWM in an effort to explore the Mahayana tradition... which I only have a very basic understanding of. My practice is only a few months old, so really I only have a basic understanding of the whole shebang. Mostly modern Insight movement stuff, but I'm curious and open-minded. I didn't register in DWM to talk about DWE but I saw this thread and now here I am.

So, I'd like to invite everyone to give DWE a try if you're interested in social and ecological engagement. If you've visited and made up your mind, you might have a different experience. If you haven't, maybe now is the time. And maybe not! All good in the hood. I'd like to address one concern that's been addressed in this thread:
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:42 am
Far as I can tell, the place is filled with the Buddhist version of the alt-right. Wankers.
I am completely unfamiliar with retrofuturist's ideas, so please forgive me my ignorance. However, the small but active DWE community doesn't seem to espouse any alt-right views in the slightest. In fact, very little (if any) right-wing ideology is endorsed whatsoever. If the "Malcolm" that I've quoted above is the same "malcolm" that posted in DWE, I really hope that they give it another try some day.

Ssshhh... don't tell 'em I told you... it's gettin a little stale over there and we need some new voices!

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 28243
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Dharma Wheel (Engaged)

Post by Malcolm » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:48 pm

egon wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:10 pm
Hello everyone! I'm pretty active on DWE and I've registered here at DWM in an effort to explore the Mahayana tradition... which I only have a very basic understanding of. My practice is only a few months old, so really I only have a basic understanding of the whole shebang. Mostly modern Insight movement stuff, but I'm curious and open-minded. I didn't register in DWM to talk about DWE but I saw this thread and now here I am.

So, I'd like to invite everyone to give DWE a try if you're interested in social and ecological engagement. If you've visited and made up your mind, you might have a different experience. If you haven't, maybe now is the time. And maybe not! All good in the hood. I'd like to address one concern that's been addressed in this thread:
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:42 am
Far as I can tell, the place is filled with the Buddhist version of the alt-right. Wankers.
I am completely unfamiliar with retrofuturist's ideas, so please forgive me my ignorance. However, the small but active DWE community doesn't seem to espouse any alt-right views in the slightest. In fact, very little (if any) right-wing ideology is endorsed whatsoever. If the "Malcolm" that I've quoted above is the same "malcolm" that posted in DWE, I really hope that they give it another try some day.

Ssshhh... don't tell 'em I told you... it's gettin a little stale over there and we need some new voices!


That was my initial assessment, not my final one.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
egon
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: USA

Re: Dharma Wheel (Engaged)

Post by egon » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:57 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:48 pm
That was my initial assessment, not my final one.
Fair enough, thanks for the clarification!

Post Reply

Return to “Announcements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests