Dharma Wheel (Engaged)

Messages from the admin team about how the forum operates. Please read them!
Dorje Shedrub

Re: Dharma Wheel (Engaged)

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

The emphasis at DWE will be engaged Buddhism, so political and news discussions need to incorporate some aspect of Dharma. The forum is both Theravada and Mahayana, so there will be a variety of views. Some interesting conversations have started. I hope that members from Dharmawheel will visit and share their wisdom. :namaste:

DS
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Dorje Shedrub wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:27 am The emphasis at DWE will be engaged Buddhism, so political and news discussions need to incorporate some aspect of Dharma. The forum is both Theravada and Mahayana, so there will be a variety of views. Some interesting conversations have started. I hope that members from Dharmawheel will visit and share their wisdom. :namaste:

DS
Far as I can tell, the place is filled with the Buddhist version of the alt-right. Wankers.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:42 am
Dorje Shedrub wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:27 am The emphasis at DWE will be engaged Buddhism, so political and news discussions need to incorporate some aspect of Dharma. The forum is both Theravada and Mahayana, so there will be a variety of views. Some interesting conversations have started. I hope that members from Dharmawheel will visit and share their wisdom. :namaste:

DS
Far as I can tell, the place is filled with the Buddhist version of the alt-right. Wankers.
First laugh of the day,many thanks. :cheers:
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

DS
I have no interest in that forum, sorry.
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:42 am Far as I can tell, the place is filled with the Buddhist version of the alt-right. Wankers.
I think this will change. I still hope that some people from here will visit and share their insights.

DS
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:42 am

DS
Without a representative vast left-wing conspiracy on the forum to blame all social ills on, they will be bored in no time;)
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I registered yesterday and haven't seen any altright views yet.
Fruitzilla

Post by Fruitzilla »

Ayu wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:40 am I registered yesterday and haven't seen any altright views yet.
They are there. Not nearly as much as in dhammawheel though it seems. Just the fact that Retrofuturist has registered himself under the username SethRich and has a conspiracy site in his tagline is enough for me to never ever register there.

This thread has some ( including some Paul Joseph Watson verbal vomit ): https://dharmawheel.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 6&start=10
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

Fruitzilla wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:37 pm
Ayu wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:40 am I registered yesterday and haven't seen any altright views yet.
They are there. Not nearly as much as in dhammawheel though it seems. Just the fact that Retrofuturist has registered himself under the username SethRich and has a conspiracy site in his tagline is enough for me to never ever register there.

This thread has some ( including some Paul Joseph Watson verbal vomit ): https://dharmawheel.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 6&start=10
SethRich has now deleted his account and is no longer a member here.
https://dharmawheel.org/viewtopic.php?f ... rt=10#p463

I think that Paul, as a rank-and-file member, like everyone else, has the right to express his views, even those I find pretty repugnant (as long as some clear lines are not crossed - clear fabrications, vilification , etc). As the Admin of DW, that's another matter and that inappropriate, in my view.

To be honest, even when Ben was Admin, and I tend to agree with Ben's view a lot more, I also thought he was sometimes too political. After all a Dharma forum is about Dharma, so activities that go with the Dharma, like compassionate action (e.g. helping those especially in need of help), working to protect the environment, etc are absolutely fine, even essential, but getting into the Culture Wars, from either side, I find rarely leads to anything worthwhile.

_/|\_
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

KIm O'Hara says:
Fruitzilla

Post by Fruitzilla »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:48 pm

KIm O'Hara says:
Ah, that's quite a difference. When I last looked he was still an admin.
egon

Post by egon »

Hello everyone! I'm pretty active on DWE and I've registered here at DWM in an effort to explore the Mahayana tradition... which I only have a very basic understanding of. My practice is only a few months old, so really I only have a basic understanding of the whole shebang. Mostly modern Insight movement stuff, but I'm curious and open-minded. I didn't register in DWM to talk about DWE but I saw this thread and now here I am.

So, I'd like to invite everyone to give DWE a try if you're interested in social and ecological engagement. If you've visited and made up your mind, you might have a different experience. If you haven't, maybe now is the time. And maybe not! All good in the hood. I'd like to address one concern that's been addressed in this thread:
Malcolm wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:42 am Far as I can tell, the place is filled with the Buddhist version of the alt-right. Wankers.
I am completely unfamiliar with retrofuturist's ideas, so please forgive me my ignorance. However, the small but active DWE community doesn't seem to espouse any alt-right views in the slightest. In fact, very little (if any) right-wing ideology is endorsed whatsoever. If the "Malcolm" that I've quoted above is the same "malcolm" that posted in DWE, I really hope that they give it another try some day.

Ssshhh... don't tell 'em I told you... it's gettin a little stale over there and we need some new voices!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

egon wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:10 pm Hello everyone! I'm pretty active on DWE and I've registered here at DWM in an effort to explore the Mahayana tradition... which I only have a very basic understanding of. My practice is only a few months old, so really I only have a basic understanding of the whole shebang. Mostly modern Insight movement stuff, but I'm curious and open-minded. I didn't register in DWM to talk about DWE but I saw this thread and now here I am.

So, I'd like to invite everyone to give DWE a try if you're interested in social and ecological engagement. If you've visited and made up your mind, you might have a different experience. If you haven't, maybe now is the time. And maybe not! All good in the hood. I'd like to address one concern that's been addressed in this thread:
I am completely unfamiliar with retrofuturist's ideas, so please forgive me my ignorance. However, the small but active DWE community doesn't seem to espouse any alt-right views in the slightest. In fact, very little (if any) right-wing ideology is endorsed whatsoever. If the "Malcolm" that I've quoted above is the same "malcolm" that posted in DWE, I really hope that they give it another try some day.

Ssshhh... don't tell 'em I told you... it's gettin a little stale over there and we need some new voices!

That was my initial assessment, not my final one.
egon

Post by egon »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:48 pm That was my initial assessment, not my final one.
Fair enough, thanks for the clarification!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I believe Malcolm is posting over at DWE now. For all Malcolm fans, come on over to DWE (in addition to this forum) and join the party!

https://dharmawheel.org/
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

I love the idea! Thank you DNS!!
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra

Return to “Announcements”