Dharma Wheel (Engaged)

Messages from the admin team about how the forum operates. Please read them!
DNS
Site Admin

Dharma Wheel (Engaged)

Post by DNS »

https://dharmawheel.org/

If it is still redirecting to DWM or DWT, you may need to purge your cache.

Just a few last minute things need to be added including logo and some other things, but you can go ahead and make an account and start posting, if you're interested.

If you make an account and it requires email verification for activation, check your spam folder.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Dharma Wheel (Engaged)

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

David,

Not clear why there is still an Engaged section here, when there is an entire new site so dedicated?
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

It became problematic over at DWT (Theravada), but apparently not so much here.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

DNS wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:54 pm It became problematic over at DWT (Theravada), but apparently not so much here.
What 'became problematic'? If you mean the Engaged section here is no problem here, then why extend the invitation here to leave & go to the new site?
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

I nominate greg to be moderator of the new forum!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:44 pm What 'became problematic'? If you mean the Engaged section here is no problem here, then why extend the invitation here to leave & go to the new site?
Where did I say "leave"? One can post on all forums, if interested.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

DNS wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:52 pm
Nicholas Weeks wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:44 pm What 'became problematic'? If you mean the Engaged section here is no problem here, then why extend the invitation here to leave & go to the new site?
Where did I say "leave"? One can post on all forums, if interested.
Where did I say 'leave permanently''? One must 'leave' to sign up there.

Still makes little sense to me. (But that happens to me more often now.)
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:54 pm One must 'leave' to sign up there.
Not at all. I was logged in here when I signed up there. I didn't "leave" here at all. :lol:
Still makes little sense to me. (But that happens to me more often now.)
You don't have to join.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

DNS wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:57 pm
You don't have to join.
:rolling:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

DNS wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:54 pm It became problematic over at DWT (Theravada), but apparently not so much here.
I don't think it became problematic at all over at DWT. No more so than here.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:49 pm I nominate greg to be moderator of the new forum!
Careful what you wish for! ;)

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:50 am
I disagree. Extreme material was being posted on a Dhamma site and the polarisation and acrimony between the "two sides" saw no sign of abating.

As much as I really dislike shutting down discussions, that one was largely a trainwreck.. It was mercy killing.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Dan74 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:42 am
Grigoris wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:50 am
I disagree. Extreme material was being posted on a Dhamma site and the polarisation and acrimony between the "two sides" saw no sign of abating.

As much as I really dislike shutting down discussions, that one was largely a trainwreck.. It was mercy killing.
It's one thing to shut down a particular discussion and another thing to sweep all discussion under a rug.

Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

For sure, but in fairness, I saw little good and some serious nastiness in there. Mind you, I often enjoyed binocular's fiercely independent and intelligent perspective. She is a thorn in everyone's side, that one! :) :applause: Paul, the Admin, also seems to be more interested in his version of alt-right now than the Dhamma, which is not the look a Buddhist forum needs, IMO. I suspect the change will be good for everybody.
boda

Post by boda »

Dan74 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:20 pm Paul, the Admin, also seems to be more interested in his version of alt-right now than the Dhamma, which is not the look a Buddhist forum needs, IMO.
Focusing too much on mere appearance may lead to a shallow practice.
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

Dan74 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:20 pm For sure, but in fairness, I saw little good and some serious nastiness in there.
That's a shame. It seems a learning opportunity was missed. I wonder whatever happened to the art of disagreeing respectfully? :shrug: (I've been reading a couple of very nice books on civility by P.M. Forni.)
Mind you, I often enjoyed binocular's fiercely independent and intelligent perspective. She is a thorn in everyone's side, that one! :) :applause: Paul, the Admin, also seems to be more interested in his version of alt-right now than the Dhamma, which is not the look a Buddhist forum needs, IMO. I suspect the change will be good for everybody.
I suspect DWE will need moderators who are skillful at mediating conflict!
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

anjali wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:02 pm
Dan74 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:20 pm For sure, but in fairness, I saw little good and some serious nastiness in there.
That's a shame. It seems a learning opportunity was missed. I wonder whatever happened to the art of disagreeing respectfully? :shrug: (I've been reading a couple of very nice books on civility by P.M. Forni.)
I don't know if you are familiar with Dan Carlin - he was a pioneer in podcasting and did a regular current events commentary podcast called "Common Sense" for years. He quit abruptly shortly after Trump was elected, without much explanation. He recently released a new pod cast to explain why he stopped and basically said he saw no point in discussing American politics given the fact that everyone from the government to the private citizen is incapable of having a civil discourse on anything. The sides have settled into camps that no longer communicate with each other, and suggested the US might be in a cold civil war, speculating that the country might actually be closer to breaking up than anyone realizes.

Why would Buddhist discussion forums be different?

Oh, I don't know, because nominally we all follow the Buddha?

The decision to form the new forum seems to be part of the general trend.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

I don't really understand the branding of the new forum.

All of the alt-righters from DWT can't post in the News sections, etc, anymore, so the idea is that they can go to this new site to chit-chat there and DWT can try to get back to being mostly about Theravāda.

But, it has "self-care" as one of its subforums. I just don't get that.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

Queequeg wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:49 pm I don't know if you are familiar with Dan Carlin - he was a pioneer in podcasting and did a regular current events commentary podcast called "Common Sense" for years. He quit abruptly shortly after Trump was elected, without much explanation. He recently released a new pod cast to explain why he stopped and basically said he saw no point in discussing American politics given the fact that everyone from the government to the private citizen is incapable of having a civil discourse on anything. The sides have settled into camps that no longer communicate with each other, and suggested the US might be in a cold civil war, speculating that the country might actually be closer to breaking up than anyone realizes.
Interesting. I'm not familiar with Carlin, but I can easily see why he came to the conclusion he did.
Why would Buddhist discussion forums be different?

Oh, I don't know, because nominally we all follow the Buddha?

The decision to form the new forum seems to be part of the general trend.
Indeed. My Hindu friends have also noticed similar divisions in their community. It seems to cut across religious boundaries. I've heard stories of long time friends parting ways over current political issues. And when they have to occasionally work together for temple events, the conversations are just vapid chit-chat--anything to avoid possible conflict. As the old saying goes, the two topics to be avoided at the dinner table are politics and religion.

I haven't been following what's been going on over at DWT, so have no specific comments on the problems they've been facing. As a general comment, one would think and hope that, of all traditions, Buddhists would be best able to work with their emotions. After all, skillfully working with the afflictions is kinda one of the basic things we're about, and the crucible of a heated debate provides an ideal container for exposing those afflictions.

Anyway, hopefully those who participate on DWE can respectfully engage their opponents while discussing and debating engaged Buddhism.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Politics, however they make the intellect active, sagacious, and inventive, within a certain sphere, generally extinguish its thirst for universal truth, paralyze sentiment and imagination, corrupt the simplicity of the mind, destroy that confidence in human virtue which lies at the foundation of philanthropy and generous sacrifices, and end in cold and prudent selfishness.
William E. Channing (1780-1842)
Politics, as a practice, whatever its professions, has always been the systematic organization of hatreds.
Henry Brooks Adams (1838-1918)

Return to “Announcements”