Nerd humor in gravitational physics

Just for fun
anjali
Former staff member

Nerd humor in gravitational physics

Post by anjali »

At the beginning of the article, Colliding neutron stars apply kiss of death to theories of gravity,
Theoreticians claim to love data. Data is the thing that allows them to test their theories and prove that they are right. Unfortunately for them, the data often doesn't support the theory. In those cases, the data has just stabbed your labor of love right in the heart, and you are expected to say "thank you, sir. May I have another?"
PuerAzaelis

Re: Nerd humor in gravitational physics

Post by PuerAzaelis »

Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Apparently the universe is held together by something unknown. As matter is the only kind of thing we think is real, then we think it must be matter. But we can’t actually see it, so it must be dark. Hence. Dark Matter.

The gaps are getting bigger. :alien: :woohoo: :shrug:
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

doesntmatter3.jpg
doesntmatter3.jpg (69.48 KiB) Viewed 6607 times
I revised the comic posted by PureAzaelis to put a more Zen spin to it.
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

A meme is born.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Wayfarer wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:55 am Apparently the universe is held together by something unknown. As matter is the only kind of thing we think is real, then we think it must be matter. But we can’t actually see it, so it must be dark. Hence. Dark Matter.

The gaps are getting bigger. :alien: :woohoo: :shrug:
I believe the universe is proposed to be held together by fields. As in the unified field theory. There are also higgs boson particles, which are what makes matter 'solid'. It gives particles mass, is responsible for gravity, etc.

I believe anti-matter is simply the opposite of normal matter, for example, an antiproton would have its charges totally in reverse. Actually it seems more like a total negation of a normal proton. Which is really weird.

My guess is that Dark Matter is other Dimensions (which would make sense as dark energy+matter composes something like 95% of the universe). Normal matter is only 5% of the universe, which is kind of crazy when you think of how much of it there is.

I also think dark energy may be something like a nervous system of the universe. They have shown Dark Energy Forms the basis of all Matter structures in the universe, at least on a large scale. For example, if you look at a map of the dark energy in the universe, it exists in a web-like pattern mixed with dark matter, and normal matter.

I love thinking about this stuff :P
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

Jesse wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:08 am
science speaking that the universe is an illusion, a simulation ...

it's a trip

Is our universe FAKE? Physicists claim we could all be the playthings of an advanced civilisation

Physicists say there is a possibility that our world is merely a simulation
They claim there may be evidence of this if only we know where to look
For instance, some of the laws of physics may not quite add up, they say

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... ation.html

https://www.space.com/30124-is-our-universe-a-fake.html

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

Lucas Oliveira wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:33 am Is our universe FAKE? Physicists claim we could all be the playthings of an advanced civilisation
Aliens playing marbles with galaxies. End of Men in Black 3. :)
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

anjali wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:03 am
Lucas Oliveira wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:33 am Is our universe FAKE? Physicists claim we could all be the playthings of an advanced civilisation
I remember that scene :thumbsup: ... I think it was in the first movie

I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Albert A. Michelson, in 1894, wrote: It seems probable that most of the grand underlying principles [of physics] have been firmly established … An eminent physicist remarked that the future truths of physical science are to be looked for in the sixth place of decimals.
Well - that didn't work out.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Wayfarer wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:02 am
Albert A. Michelson, in 1894, wrote: It seems probable that most of the grand underlying principles [of physics] have been firmly established … An eminent physicist remarked that the future truths of physical science are to be looked for in the sixth place of decimals.
Indeed. That quote is up there with, "No-one will ever need a computer with more than xxx of memory."

:popcorn:
Kim
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Lucas Oliveira wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:06 am
anjali wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:03 am
I remember that scene :thumbsup: ... I think it was in the first movie

Umm ... YouTube reckons the end of the third movie. :thinking:
But a good scene, anyway.
A critical plot point within one of the movies was that our own solar system (or galaxy - I can't remember) was a bauble on the collar of a silly little pooch belonging to a resident alien.

:coffee:
Kim
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Lucas Oliveira wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:33 am
Jesse wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:08 am
science speaking that the universe is an illusion, a simulation ...

it's a trip

Is our universe FAKE? Physicists claim we could all be the playthings of an advanced civilisation

Physicists say there is a possibility that our world is merely a simulation
They claim there may be evidence of this if only we know where to look
For instance, some of the laws of physics may not quite add up, they say

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... ation.html

https://www.space.com/30124-is-our-universe-a-fake.html

This theory has been around for a while, and if true it would be likely that our overlords themselves are also living in a simulation, and their overlords as well, and so on for infinity. As each time a universe is simulated, the civilization would advance to the point where they could create a simulation of the universe. Which would keep happening in an infinite loop.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:17 am
Wayfarer wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:02 am
Indeed. That quote is up there with, "No-one will ever need a computer with more than xxx of memory."

:popcorn:
Kim
And Ernest Rutherford's famous quote about nuclear reactions:
We might in these processes obtain very much more energy than the proton supplied, but on the average we could not expect to obtain energy in this way. It was a very poor and inefficient way of producing energy, and anyone who looked for a source of power in the transformation of the atoms was talking moonshine. But the subject was scientifically interesting because it gave insight into the atoms
:heart:
Mike
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Jesse wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:08 am I love thinking about this stuff :P
So do physicists. And they get paid for it!

If I had known how tripped out physics is, I would have worked harder in high school. My in-laws are physicists - one a theorist, the other an experimentalist. The theorist likes to say he sits in his office with a pad, a pencil, and stares at the wall until an idea comes to him. The experimentalist has a lab with insanely powerful "microscopes" that she and her assistants built themselves, and I swear, they look about as jerry-rigged as some of my grade school science experiments.

If I knew then... I need a mulligan on life. lol
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

I watched that video Lucas posted and started thinking about the expanding universe...

time and space is, for lack of a better word, malleable, right? Is it possible the universe is not actually expanding, and rather, we're all shrinking?

This might not be the right place to look for an answer to that.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:53 pmtime and space is, for lack of a better word, malleable, right? Is it possible the universe is not actually expanding, and rather, we're all shrinking?
I don't think that works, since current thinking is the universe started from the Big Bang. Speaking of which, Calvin and Hobbes discuss the Big Bang. :smile:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

anjali wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:39 pm
Queequeg wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:53 pmtime and space is, for lack of a better word, malleable, right? Is it possible the universe is not actually expanding, and rather, we're all shrinking?
I don't think that works, since current thinking is the universe started from the Big Bang. Speaking of which, Calvin and Hobbes discuss the Big Bang. :smile:
But, the big bang wasn't an explosion, in the way a bomb explodes. It didn't expand outward from a single point, but rather, the entire universe *popped* into being in an instant. The red shift we observe indicates the distance between the source and the observer is increasing, but who's to say the actual distance is not expanding, but rather everything is simultaneously shrinking...

When we look inside an atom, its mostly space. Could it be that everything is actually condensing very rapidly, but since we're all condensing at the same rate we don't notice this, except when we look at the constant of light and notice a red shift...

I'm going to go ask my experts... If I thought this, I'm sure someone else has already at least floated the idea...
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:53 pm I watched that video Lucas posted and started thinking about the expanding universe...

time and space is, for lack of a better word, malleable, right? Is it possible the universe is not actually expanding, and rather, we're all shrinking?

It's a good idea but not a new one.
Decades ago (I'm not saying how many :spy: ) I read a SF short story with exactly this premise. As I remember it, the people in it only started noticing something weird was happening when the lowest-frequency radio waves started disappearing from the radio astronomers' spectrum. By the time they worked out that the reason was that the universe was already smaller than a couple of wavelengths across, mid-frequencies were dropping out as the universe continued to shrink ...
:toilet:

Kim
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:54 pm
Queequeg wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:53 pm I watched that video Lucas posted and started thinking about the expanding universe...

It's a good idea but not a new one.
Decades ago (I'm not saying how many :spy: ) I read a SF short story with exactly this premise. As I remember it, the people in it only started noticing something weird was happening when the lowest-frequency radio waves started disappearing from the radio astronomers' spectrum. By the time they worked out that the reason was that the universe was already smaller than a couple of wavelengths across, mid-frequencies were dropping out as the universe continued to shrink ...
:toilet:

Kim
Oh, right... the lower frequencies... there still might be some weird space-time glitch... but my theory is getting less elegant.

LOL amateur physics! :woohoo:

Return to “Games & Humour”