http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Natan

Re: INDIAN VEGETARIANS ? :)

Post by Natan »

Basically Indian Vegetarian is lacto-oval vegetarian. Given the importance of the cow milk vegan isn’t really a thing. Some may feel ahimsa is more pure by not eating eggs. But if it isn’t a fertilized egg, then there’s no harm. The other stuff is a joke by folks who pretend and make excuses. The vegetarian on certain days is a thing. The idea of taking a vow for a day and honoring it builds merit, development of good habits, qualities, etc.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
justsit

Post by justsit »

Also, Jains have very strict dietary restrictions and avoid the five pungents (onions, garlic, leeks, chives, green onions; some Buddhists do this as well). Interesting article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jain_vegetarianism
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

#9: What about Mondays?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

When I was in India, the tour guide informed us that there are basically about 3 major divisions:

about one-third lacto-vegetarian (no meat, but will eat dairy)
about one-third won't eat beef, but will eat chicken, fish, veggies, etc.
about one-third omnivores.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Yes, it is a meme meant as a bit of fun rather than serious analysis. :)

Mondays not on the list? I guess they don't eat? ;)

I spent quite a lot of time with Jains in India (Jaipur) who were of course very strict vegans, but there were some things I found odd.

One was the fasting: 'Today I should be fasting but I am not; my wife is doing it for me.' Eh?

Another was for the Jains to visit the UK and avoid harming insects by eating only food they knew had been harvested in the correct manner back home............but flown over at their request on a plane killing millions of insects.
(In Jainism you experience the consequences of killling even if accidental.)

The oddities I discovered about veg/non veg in the rest of the population were very much the randomness of action which applies to many things, made amusing by the great conviction that their selectivity was somehow 'the' right way to do it. It was a bit like that with alcohol too. The diversity is of course an essential part of what makes India lovable. :)

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

I'm having a lot of trouble working out why the meme's creator might have put the last two words in his/her headline.
I have met all nine kinds here in Australia, and I'm sure they are found worldwide.

:popcorn:
Kim
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:48 am I'm having a lot of trouble working out why the meme's creator might have put the last two words in his/her headline.
I have met all nine kinds here in Australia, and I'm sure they are found worldwide.

:popcorn:
Kim
It resonates with anyone who is a vegetarian who has visited India and actually engaged with Indian culture. Just a little whimsical, not deep and meaningful.

It appplies to a vast number of people within the subcontinent's billion-plus population so is very likely to be a part of your life as a traveller there, and a source of humour for all, as Indians laugh a lot at themselves.
The humour comes from their strong insistence that they are vegetarian..........and then the qualifications which show that actually, many aren't.

As they say over there: 'Same......same......but different!' ;)

Return to “Games & Humour”