Hot and Cool Drinks?

A forum for all questions about Tibetan Medicine. No more posting in this forum until further notice.
conebeckham

Hot and Cool Drinks?

Post by conebeckham »

I've noticed that many Tibetan Lamas, and even layfolk, steer clear of many cold drinks, preferring warm or hot beverages. In fact, I've been told that cold beverages cannot be tolerated by some folks.

What is the reasoning behind this, according to Tibetan medicine?
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Malcolm

Re: Hot and Cool Drinks?

Post by Malcolm »

conebeckham wrote:I've noticed that many Tibetan Lamas, and even layfolk, steer clear of many cold drinks, preferring warm or hot beverages. In fact, I've been told that cold beverages cannot be tolerated by some folks.

Habitually using cold drinks kill digestive heat. However, when it is very hot, it is fine.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Thanks, Namdrol....Some have claimed cold drinks make them sick....what's TM's take on this?
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

conebeckham wrote:Thanks, Namdrol....Some have claimed cold drinks make them sick....what's TM's take on this?
Same reason, kill digestive heat, makes your immune system compromised, etc.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

conebeckham wrote:I've noticed that many Tibetan Lamas, and even layfolk, steer clear of many cold drinks, preferring warm or hot beverages. In fact, I've been told that cold beverages cannot be tolerated by some folks.

I've been toldd that the Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche's preferred beverage is Coke. I don't know if he takes it cold or at room temp though.

I recall seeing a picture of the Karmapa on his 2008 visit to Boulder with a Coke in hand, although when he taught at Mackey Auditorium he had a venti Starbucks with him.

Namdrol-la what the TM view on cafinated drinks?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Chaz wrote:

I've been toldd that the Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche's preferred beverage is Coke. I don't know if he takes it cold or at room temp though.

I recall seeing a picture of the Karmapa on his 2008 visit to Boulder with a Coke in hand, although when he taught at Mackey Auditorium he had a venti Starbucks with him.

Hard on the kidneys.
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Are cold drinks ever recommended to help quiet wind disorders?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

sangyey wrote:Are cold drinks ever recommended to help quiet wind disorders?

Never, unless you have a fever.
username

Post by username »

Many Tibetan lamas are mentally addicted to Coca Cola since childhood in India just like the masses. Some probably due to secret ingredients. It is basically water, date extracts, chemicals, coca leaf extracts and mainly large amounts of sugar. Some sodas/colas are reported to be %15 or more sugar. That is cupfuls per bottle. Large amounts of regular sugar intake, which is in most packaged foods and drinks can be dangerous for some and unhealthy for all. The diet sodas/colas are no better as instead of sugar they use the artificial sweetener aspartame. Aspartame has numerous serious side effects with more probably unknown. There were apparently some FDA internal objections to it but these were muffled by the few powerful men who own it's patent one of whom is Donald Rumsfeld. There is a growing community that believes it is an extremely dangerous chemical. If you like fizzy drinks to aid digestion, wean yourself off Coke and sodas/colas and use sparkling (carbonated) mineral water instead.

Aspartame side effects:
http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sugar side effects:
http://www.smoothie-handbook.com/sugar- ... fects.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tsoknyi Rinpoche on Coca Cola:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TulRI3qcz1U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
Karma Yeshe

Post by Karma Yeshe »

Namdrol wrote:
conebeckham wrote:Thanks, Namdrol....Some have claimed cold drinks make them sick....what's TM's take on this?
Same reason, kill digestive heat, makes your immune system compromised, etc.
The Imune system is a very complex system that spans the body...a few cold drinks wont have any real effect.

Remember the human digestive system can only directly take in 3 things...

Amino acids
vitamins
Minerals

Every other thing we eat must be broken down to its most basic form and then reconstructed from scrach . So in most ways what we eat is not all that important. With the exeption of calorie restriction which may have some inpact the whole concept of "we are what we eat" is nonsense.

The scary part from a nutrition/medicine point of view is that due to a bit of tech, humans are the only primate that lives past about age 30. And this is only a recent development in a very short 150,000 year history for modern humans. So, none of the animal models are of any real use and the second part of our life is basicly a crap shoot.

Good lession in Inpermanence though
What Is...What Was...What Could be...What must never Be.
The Doctor

Something Old...Something New...Something Borrowed...Something Blue.
Amy Pond
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Chaz wrote:

Some people need a little stimulation, some don't. It all depends on your body type. I didn't know about the kidney thing, so it is great that Namdrol mentioned that. I do know that cold is a quality of vatta, so in addition to killing digestion it can make you.. well.. .cold.

If the winds are erratic and wild, how will your spiritual practice develop well? For that reason, I would avoid exposure to cold food and drink if your body can't handle it.

Kevin
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

POLITE REMINDER

This particular forum (as can be see by the specific Guidlines) was created so that members could ask questions of and get responses from a qualified practitioner of Tibetan Medicine and not as a general discussion forum. For those wanting responses of a more general nature there are other forums here at Dharma Wheel where such questions/discussions can be placed, for example Help Required, Lounge and Dharma-free-for-all. It would be greatly appreciated if all members would abide by the guidelines for this forum. Thank you for your co-operation.

Regards,

Return to “Tibetan Medicine”