longterm use of agar-35 & semde

A forum for all questions about Tibetan Medicine. No more posting in this forum until further notice.
dakini_boi

longterm use of agar-35 & semde

Post by dakini_boi »

Is it safe to use these formulas long-term - like for a year, or even years? This is assuming one doesn't have any major health risks.
Malcolm

Re: longterm use of agar-35 & semde

Post by Malcolm »

dakini_boi wrote:Is it safe to use these formulas long-term - like for a year, or even years? This is assuming one doesn't have any major health risks.
ONe should generally not use any herb for more than three months.
Epistemes

Post by Epistemes »

Namdrol wrote: ONe should generally not use any herb for more than three months.
Why? Dependency?
Cantankerous Buddha
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Epistemes wrote:
Namdrol wrote: ONe should generally not use any herb for more than three months.
Why? Dependency?

No, as I explained once before, it is because the herbs are treated by the body as food, rather than medicine.

N
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Namdrol,

Sorry, I did not read your previous explanation of this, but can you please explain how the body processes foods differently than medicines according to TM? My initial impression is that the body is going to process anything that is ingested p.o. in the same way via the same digestive processes. How does the body distinguish between a food/herb and a medicine?

Sorry if I'm being obtuse here.

Thanks.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
edearl

Post by edearl »

pemachophel wrote:Namdrol,

Sorry, I did not read your previous explanation of this, but can you please explain how the body processes foods differently than medicines according to TM? My initial impression is that the body is going to process anything that is ingested p.o. in the same way via the same digestive processes. How does the body distinguish between a food/herb and a medicine?

Thanks.
Generally herbs are not addictive, maybe a few are, I'm not sure. But, if one processes the herb for its essences, the essence can be addictive, for example cocaine from the coca plant, and opium from the poppy. Some herbs (for example the coca leaf) are used for long periods (Andean native men chew coca leaves daily, almost all day, for most of their lives). If you are unsure about a specific herb, use it for only a limited time (e.g., 3 months). Of course, if you experience any ill effects while consuming an herb, stop taking it. I don't know Namdrol, but assume he is an expert on Tibetan herbs.

I am not an expert on herbs, but take some myself and have studied the topic to avoid problems. If my advice is unreasonable, ignore it.
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Thanks.

According to the four tantras, it states that medicines are completley digested within an hour or so after after being ingested. Food take seven days to fully digest. When you use herbs for too long, the herb in question is no longer digested rapidly. By digest, we mean for the rasa of the food to work its way through the blood, muscle, fat, bone, marrow and semen.

There are of course some exceptions, but not many.

N
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Namdrol,

Thanks for the explanation. That's very interesting. I've never heard this before. So, if one eats a new food for the first time, does that get rapidly digested until the body recognizes it as "food"? I'm just trying to get clear about this process. It's still a little bit hard for me to grasp in a way that makes sense to me.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Namdrol,

One other question: Paltul Rinpoche has had me on the same three sets of TM pills for almost a year now. Does that mean they are being absorbed as food and not as medicine?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

One other question: Paltul Rinpoche has had me on the same three sets of TM pills for almost a year now. Does that mean they are being absorbed as food and not as medicine?

Depends on the medicine and depends on the disease. Some chronic diseases, like Padkan Mugpo, have to be treated for a year or more. In this case one takes usually one herb for a very long time, and other herbs are often, but not always, changed for season and so on.
Pero

Post by Pero »

My mother suffers from depression and seeing on Siddhi Energetics site that Semde is for depression I'm wondering if it would be helpful to my mother? Are there any contraindications?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

Return to “Tibetan Medicine”