A Mind for Numbers: How to Excel at Math and Science (Even If You Flunked Algebra)

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Motova

A Mind for Numbers: How to Excel at Math and Science (Even If You Flunked Algebra)

Post by Motova »

To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Dan74
Former staff member

Re: A Mind for Numbers: How to Excel at Math and Science (Even If You Flunked Algebra)

Post by Dan74 »

Could you give some more details please? I'm a maths teacher and I'm wondering whether it has something I can incorporate in the lessons.
Motova

Re: A Mind for Numbers: How to Excel at Math and Science (Even If You Flunked Algebra)

Post by Motova »

Dan74 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:03 pm Could you give some more details please? I'm a maths teacher and I'm wondering whether it has something I can incorporate in the lessons.
Improving study habits, mnemonics, test stress reduction, how to approach tests, how to approach teachers, how to approach study groups, eliminating procrastinating, increasing spatial visualization and seeing through mind's eye, how to approach difficult math problems, toggling between modes of thinking, increasing focus, spaced repetition, focusing on recall and retrieval over rereading, knowing when you might be over estimating your comprehension, how to relax, etc etc there is a lot of stuff.... :smile:
Motova

Post by Motova »

Motova wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:32 pm
Dan74 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:03 pm Could you give some more details please? I'm a maths teacher and I'm wondering whether it has something I can incorporate in the lessons.
Improving study habits, mnemonics, test stress reduction, how to approach tests, how to approach teachers, how to approach study groups, eliminating procrastinating, increasing spatial visualization and seeing through mind's eye, how to approach difficult math problems, toggling between modes of thinking, increasing focus, spaced repetition, focusing on recall and retrieval over rereading, knowing when you might be over estimating your comprehension, how to relax, etc etc there is a lot of stuff.... :smile:
It is a fun and motivation read as well. It's a less than a day read, I read 240 pages yesterday and finished it off after I finished the third third of Fluent in 3 Months.
Motova

Post by Motova »

I would also read Make It Stick and Your Memory, your students would worship you. :bow:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Thank you! I'll have a look at it.
Maths brings me to tears every now and then, because I can't remember what I have learned two weeks ago. There must be a big hindrance in my mind.
Right now my remedy is to breathe deeply always, try to be confidently and work hours and hours on it.
Motova

Post by Motova »

Ayu wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:42 pm
Thank you! I'll have a look at it.
Maths brings me to tears every now and then, because I can't remember what I have learned two weeks ago. There must be a big hindrance in my mind.
Right now my remedy is to breathe deeply always, try to be confidently and work hours and hours on it.
Good luck, and try to have fun. :smile:

Return to “Lounge”