Sutra on the Concentration of Sitting Meditation

Recommend, review and discuss dharma books here.
Nicholas Weeks

Sutra on the Concentration of Sitting Meditation

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

A small 88 page translation by Kumarajiva of a compilation of traditional meditations that lead to Arhat or Pratekyabuddha status, plus a second section of Mahayana meditations leading to Buddhahood. The first section has most of the passages sourced from Indian Sarvastivadins. The Mahayana section may have been written by Kumarajiva, for no sources are given. Done by Numata in 2009.
Last edited by Nicholas Weeks on Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
pueraeternus

Re: Sutra on the Concentration of Sitting Meditation

Post by pueraeternus »

Thanks Will - didn't know this was already out. Just ordered from Amazon.
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
- A letter to CHOAM, attributed to the Preacher
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Will wrote:A small 88 page translation by Kumarajiva of a compilation of Traditional meditations that lead to Arhat or Pratekyabuddha status, plus a second section of Mahayana meditations leading to Buddhahood. The first section has most of the passages sourced from Indian Sarvastivadins. The Mahayana section may have been written by Kumarajiva, for no sources are given. Done by Numata in 2009.

I am sorry about my ignorance, but where is the link to the book? I didnt understand correctly (maybe because of my english) if your intentions was just speak about the books (ie, make a small "review" of the books) of you really wanted to show us the book.

Sorry again and thanks for your clarification :)
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Nosta wrote:
Will wrote:A small 88 page translation by Kumarajiva of a compilation of Traditional meditations that lead to Arhat or Pratekyabuddha status, plus a second section of Mahayana meditations leading to Buddhahood. The first section has most of the passages sourced from Indian Sarvastivadins. The Mahayana section may have been written by Kumarajiva, for no sources are given. Done by Numata in 2009.

I am sorry about my ignorance, but where is the link to the book? I didnt understand correctly (maybe because of my english) if your intentions was just speak about the books (ie, make a small "review" of the books) of you really wanted to show us the book.

Sorry again and thanks for your clarification :)
Google Numata and/or the sutra title and you will find a link.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Oh ok, i understand now. :)

Thanks for the clarification. :)
Su DongPo

Post by Su DongPo »

Here's a link --

http://www.bdk-jp.org/english/bdk/20091009.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anders

Post by Anders »

anyone care to post a review?
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

It's a helpful guide. The Mahayana meditations are more or less the same as the Sravakayana and Pratyekabuddhayana ones, except they will add layers of extra profundity, like when contemplating the qualities of the Buddha, you visualise countless Buddhas, etc.

It's worthwhile having some promotion of meditation out there that's not just mindfulness and which does cultivate Bodhisattva path qualities.
crazy-man

Post by crazy-man »

Leo Rivers

2 traditions of Sravaka meditation: Kumarajiva and Buddhaghosa

Post by Leo Rivers »

2 traditions of Sravaka meditation: Kumarajiva and Buddhaghosa

This paper attempts to do a comparative study between Kumarajiva's Zuo chan san mei jing (坐禪三昧經, Sitting Meditation Samadhi Sutra) and Buddhaghosa's.

[urlhttps://www.google.com/url?q=http://ignca.nic.i ... WS_-p7bd-_][/url]
Dhammanando

Re: 2 traditions of Sravaka meditation: Kumarajiva and Buddhaghosa

Post by Dhammanando »

Leo Rivers wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:16 pm 2 traditions of Sravaka meditation: Kumarajiva and Buddhaghosa

This paper attempts to do a comparative study between Kumarajiva's Zuo chan san mei jing (坐禪三昧經, Sitting Meditation Samadhi Sutra) and Buddhaghosa's.
The link is to an abstract. Do you know if the paper itself is online?

Return to “Book Reviews”