Bodhgaya

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
cooran

Bodhgaya

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Having been to Bodhgaya a few times, I am always struck by the huge crowds of pilgrims everyday, the intensity of the emotions expressed and felt, and the beauty of the Mahabodhi temple complex.

Reading the sutras, I cannot see any reference to the Buddha returning there during the rest of his life after enlightenment.

He spent many Rains Retreats in other places, and there are important sutras associated with them - but there seems to be no further return to Bodhgaya.

Does anyone have any references showing that he did? And, if he didn't, why not?

with metta
Chris
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Bodhgaya

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Did he go back or didn't he?
I think he went back but it was on a Sunday, so it was closed.
Perhaps this is where the confusion lies.
:shrug:
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
cooran

Re: Bodhgaya

Post by cooran »

Much gratitued to David N. Snyder :smile: on Dhammawheel for his reply:

Possibly this quote:

"Bhikkhus, I wish to go into seclusion for three months. I should not be approached by anyone.
Then when those three months had passed, the Blessed One emerged from seclusion and
addressed the bhikkhus thus:
Bhikkhus, I have been dwelling in part of the abode in which I dwelt just after I became fully
enlightened."
Samyutta Nikaya 45.12

The value of pilgrimage:

"Ananda, there are four places the sight of which will arouse strong emotion in those with faith.
Which four? Here the Tathagata (enlightened one) was born, this is the first place. Here the
Tathagata attained Enlightenment, this is the second place. Here the Tathagata set in motion the
Wheel of the Dhamma, this is the third place. Here the Tathagata attained final Nibbana without
remainder, this is the fourth place. The monk or nun, layman or laywoman, who has faith should
visit these places. And anyone who dies while making a pilgrimage to these places with a devout
heart will, at the breaking up of the body, be reborn in heaven."
Digha Nikaya 16

The importance of Bodh Gaya is of course evident, but he did seem to spend most of his time around Vulture Peak and Shravasti.''

With metta
Chris

Return to “Academic Discussion”