OM PADMO USHNISHA VIMALE HUM PHAT mantra?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Lotus415

OM PADMO USHNISHA VIMALE HUM PHAT mantra?

Post by Lotus415 »

I have not been able to find any history or descriptions in regards to this mantra other than it is "wish fulfilling", and it is put over doorways.
Does anyone have any information on this?
Br Quang

Re: OM PADMO USHNISHA VIMALE HUM PHAT mantra?

Post by Br Quang »

You can google it.
om padmo ushnisha vimale hum phat
http://sanaakosirickylee.wordpress.com/ ... -hum-phat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://sanaakosirickylee.wordpress.com/ ... e-ye-soha/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it is Tibetan and it usually comes with the karma cleansing mantra. I learn that one head pass underneath it that it will take affect, that is why is on top of the door way.

hope this help.
Lobsang Damchoi

Post by Lobsang Damchoi »

It's one of Lama Zopa's "Powerful Mantras for the Time of Death", esp. for preventing/liberating from lower rebirths and of general benefit to those on their death bed. You might want to search Lama Zopa's teachings at the FPMT (Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition) Web site:

http://www.fpmt.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a also tradition (I could try to get a precise reference if desired) which holds that saying it 7 times per day will prevent you from being reborn in the lower realms.

It's also I believe a general purification mantra, and as the prev. poster mentioned, is often placed over entrances, lintels, etc.

:namaste:
Patrick
Lobsang Damchoi
Lobsang Damchoi

Hi all -- I found more info on this mantra.

It is placed over doorways to "ward off malignant forces." Also "whoever sees, hears, recollects or comes in contact with this ten-syllable king of mystic recitations will be purified of unbounded heinous actions and will be prevented from taking rebirth in bad destinies." Heart of the Earth Sutra of Ten Cycles as quoted in Mahayana Purification, Library of Tibetan Works and Archives, p. 103.

Lobsang (Patrick)
Lobsang Damchoi
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Lotus415 wrote:I have not been able to find any history or descriptions in regards to this mantra other than it is "wish fulfilling", and it is put over doorways.
Does anyone have any information on this?
Isn't it one of the core mantras of Bodhisattva Ushnisha Vijaya?

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Lobsang Damchoi

Not sure who the deity is--even Lama Zopa admitted in a teaching that he had not seen an picture of the deity, whom he didn't name, unfortunately. He did say:

"Another of the mantras is the Wish-granting Wheel mantra. I have read of the unbelievable benefits of reciting the mantra, but I have yet to see a picture of this deity. The mantra is very short: OM PEMO USHNISHA VIMALE HUM PHET. If you recite this mantra seven times every day, you will be born in a pure land when you die. And if you recite it and bless incense, whether stick or powder, by blowing on it, people are healed by smelling the burning incense. Here the healing comes through purifying the other sentient beings’ negative karma, through purifying their mind, which is the most important healing. Purifying the mind then helps to heal any sickness. If you recite this mantra and then blow on your clothes, wearing the clothes brings healing; wearing the clothes brings purification. And if the cloth is made of silk, wool, or the skin of an animal, reciting this mantra also helps that animal, no matter where it has been reborn, by purifying that animal’s negative karma."
Lobsang Damchoi
Black Saga

Post by Black Saga »

From the "Treasury of Profound Mantras known as The Path of Liberation"

The Essence of the Lotus Ushnisha

OM PADMO USHNISHA VIMALE HUNG PHET

If this dharani is recited, seen, touched or remembered, the five inexpiable deeds
and so forth, karma that causes one to be born in Avici hell,
will all be purified and one will not fall into the lower realms. For 100,000 kalpas,
one will be born as a Cakravatin (King of the Universe).

If one recites this seven times for five sessions daily in dedication to migratory beings,
one will be born in the Pure Land of Bliss as well as Akanishta Pure Land.

If this is recited to sand and the sand is scattered onto bones in the cemetery,
the deceased will be liberated and purified of the karma to be born
in the lower realms and from breaking of vows.

Sentient beings who come into contact with the shadow of a stupa which contains this
mantra or hear the sound of a conch shell blessed by this mantra will be liberated.
If sandalwood and so forth are blessed by this mantra and then burned, epidemic
diseases will be stopped and enemies, thieves and wild beasts will become fettered.

If clothes are fumigated with this incense, sins and obscurations of the wearer
will be exhausted.

If this mantra is recited 100,000 times,
one will obtain the fruition of a Non-returner.

So it has been said.
kashmir

Post by kashmir »

Can anyone say this mantra or is it necessary to have transmission ? ?
Black Saga

Post by Black Saga »

Anyone can recite it.

But, here's the lung in case you want it (see "audio"):
http://www.lamayeshe.com/article/chapte ... ntra-lungs
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

http://garchen.net/resources/

Click on the Namgyalma link, it is the Ushnishavajaya practice with a picture of the Deity.

If you look at the banner mantra on the website pages, this is given out for free and empowered. It is hung over doorways etc. I don't know if it is the same one you are looking for.
But the mantra card says:
In the kutagara Sutra it is said that if the crown of one's head passes once beneath this mantra, the misdeeds of a thousand eons will be purified. In the Forceful Waterfall Sutra it is said that to see this mantra once purifies the misdeeds of three hundred million eons.

It sounds like what you are looking for, but I'm not sure.

You can ask at [email protected]

Also, there is a video of the practice on ustream for the long life ceremony for Garchen Rinpoche about two years ago.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”