Becoming a Monk

tracefleeman

Becoming a Monk

Post by tracefleeman »

Hi. I'd like to become a monk for a couple weeks. I'm really disgusted with my addictions and habits and would like to stop.

I'd really like to visit the City Of Ten Thousand Buddhas, but I don't think they will let me in, especially for free ( I don't have money).

Help please?

:namaste:
Seishin
Former staff member

Re: Becoming a Monk

Post by Seishin »

Have you ever thought about the temple stay programs in Korea? You live "like" a monastic for a short period before going back to normal life. http://eng.templestay.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would say though, being a monk or living like one for a couple of weeks probably wont get rid of your addictions. From my experience it takes years of practice.

I wish you all the best,
Gassho,
Seishin.
tracefleeman

Post by tracefleeman »

I don't have any money :/
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Contact a temple near you and ask whether they have retreats or temple stays. Explain your financial situation and see if they can help. Or you could try joining a sangha near you and go to weekly groups.

Gassho,
Seishin
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

tracefleeman wrote:I don't have any money :/
Travelling requires money, so if you don't have a monastery that accepts you for a few weeks, you should consider other options. For instance, doing a home retreat following a proper daily schedule. The book Taming the Monkey Mind has advices on retreats, but you can find other sources too, like the Perfect Enlightenment Sutra, or perhaps ask assistance from a monk/teacher through e-mail or phone.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
tracefleeman

Post by tracefleeman »

Astus wrote:
Travelling requires money, so if you don't have a monastery that accepts you for a few weeks, you should consider other options. For instance, doing a home retreat following a proper daily schedule. The book Taming the Monkey Mind has advices on retreats, but you can find other sources too, like the Perfect Enlightenment Sutra, or perhaps ask assistance from a monk/teacher through e-mail or phone.
Seishin wrote:Have you ever thought about the temple stay programs in Korea? You live "like" a monastic for a short period before going back to normal life. http://eng.templestay.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would say though, being a monk or living like one for a couple of weeks probably wont get rid of your addictions. From my experience it takes years of practice.

I wish you all the best,
Gassho,
Seishin.
Thank you both for your help, I really appreciate it.

Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

tracefleeman wrote:Hi. I'd like to become a monk for a couple weeks. I'm really disgusted with my addictions and habits and would like to stop.

I'd really like to visit the City Of Ten Thousand Buddhas, but I don't think they will let me in, especially for free ( I don't have money).

Help please?

Have you tried to contact the CTTB?
I really don't think that money is a deciding factor for them.
But the path is.
Not sure if they do short term monastic retreats,
but they do have a training program for laity and sangha.

Try to give them a call,
they are good people.

~~ Huifeng
jundo cohen

Post by jundo cohen »

Hi,

Where are you located? There are several Japanese Lineage Soto and Rinzai centers around the U.S. that run short term retreats of a few weeks, and (although I am not as familiar with those) other Korean and Chinese centers as well. Where are you located, and we can find the closest. I very much doubt any of them would ask for money if you are truly hard up. What kind of Zen Practice are you currently walking?

The centers vary in rigor and style. One would technically not be a "monk" perhaps, but at some could taste some of the experience.

Gassho, Jundo
Priest/Teacher at Treeleaf Zendo, a Soto Zen Sangha. Treeleaf Zendo was designed as an online practice place for Zen practitioners who cannot easily commute to a Zen Center due to health concerns, living in remote areas, or work, childcare and family needs, and seeks to provide Zazen sittings, retreats, discussion, interaction with a teacher, and all other activities of a Zen Buddhist Sangha, all fully online. The focus is Shikantaza "Just Sitting" Zazen as instructed by the 13th Century Japanese Master, Eihei Dogen. http://www.treeleaf.org
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

You can volunteer at City of Ten Thousand Buddhas. I know someone who is doing that.

Try that for a few months before taking on vows (they'd probably want that, too).
Bonsai Doug

Post by Bonsai Doug »

I too was going to suggest volunteering. You might also find types of work/study programs
where your classes and board are provided in exchange for manual labor at the monastery/temple.
Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

tracefleeman wrote: I'd really like to visit the City Of Ten Thousand Buddhas, but I don't think they will let me in, especially for free ( I don't have money).

Help please?
Examine your budget and spending habits every month. That's what I do
MuMun

Post by MuMun »

Great suggestions above.

I encourage you strongly to do a period of retreat. Temples and centers worth their salt will work with your financial situation -- we're not in this business for the money. Don't know where you live, but I and others can help connect you with places in your region.

One thing to add, however: don't go into a retreat expecting to solve all your problems. You're a mess. So are we. That's what we work with. If you go into the retreat expecting a particular result, you're not giving yourself fully to the retreat. Just bring your messy self to the practice, and dedicate yourself to doing that retreat and see what happens. Okay? And thanks!
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

MuMun wrote: One thing to add, however: don't go into a retreat expecting to solve all your problems. You're a mess. So are we. That's what we work with. If you go into the retreat expecting a particular result, you're not giving yourself fully to the retreat. Just bring your messy self to the practice, and dedicate yourself to doing that retreat and see what happens. Okay? And thanks!
Monasticism or just living in such an environment can bring out the worst qualities in a person, but then it needs to be addressed.
MuMun

Post by MuMun »

Huseng wrote:
Monasticism or just living in such an environment can bring out the worst qualities in a person, but then it needs to be addressed.
Yes. It comes right up.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

I guess if you were ordained as a monk then you would be one. The tradition may be different for Christian Monasticism than Buddhist variety.
mikelord

Post by mikelord »

I'm new here, but I just have to comment on how thoughtful, helpful, and loving your responses were.

Return to “Zen”