Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Nemo

Re: Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma?

Post by Nemo »

If it's completely wholesome you probably aren't doing it right.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Which also does not represent a Dzogchen view.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

I'm still not quite 100% sure what the Dzogchen view is on Sexual Yoga. As has been mentioned already, within this thread and other threads, the Khandro Nyingthig and Longchenpa on the Lama Yangthig have teachings on this.

At least until learning more, I'm going with the Kalachakra and Anuyoga views on Karmamudra as explained by Yeshe Tsogyel, H.H. the Dalai Lama, etc.

Also, it would be very wise to at least follow the advice given to ordinary people by Tibetan Medicine regarding sex and the seasons...

http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=3987" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...as explained there^.
Last edited by Lhug-Pa on Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Wesley1982 wrote:Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma? thanks.
Yes...your appearance looks better. If you have a wife, it will prevent you from jeopardizing your relationship. Breaking up a family creates heavy karma because a family is a unit of society. If every family does that, then we will have chaos. That's what happening now in the modern world. Too many divorces-children are not brought up good because of that. Then children will bring chaos to society...serial killers, rapists, pedophiles, etc.

From the practical standpoint of East Asian Buddhism, monks need to refrain from celibacy.

In generally practitioners should not actively seek for a union. But if it comes naturally or mutually, it is not right to reject either. In this case, take the middle path. Don't be attached deeply to it. The Mahayana teaching is not holding on to any side-rejection or acceptance, nirvana or samsara, etc.

Beginners should uphold all precepts dearly.
It’s eye blinking.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I doubt that you meant to say that " monks should refrain from celibacy ". Did you ?

I would like to see your evidence that serial killers are a result of divorce.

Hyperbole makes a poor argument.

Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Lhug-Pa wrote:I'm still not quite 100% sure what the Dzogchen view is on Sexual Yoga.
The Dzogchen view on that like on other points is very simple ... do your best, work with your circumstances and all that is your limitations. Therefore Sexual Yoga could be integrated in your Dzogchen practice ... but you have to go in essence.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Simon E. wrote:I doubt that you meant to say that " monks should refrain from celibacy ". Did you ?

I would like to see your evidence that serial killers are a result of divorce.

Hyperbole makes a poor argument.

I am sure you have a general idea of what I meant to say. Why nit-pick?
It’s eye blinking.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Ok.. " monks need to refrain from celibacy " means that monks should have sex. Is that what you meant ?
And saying that evidence is needed to support the idea that one of the results of divorce is a rise in the numbers of serial killers is hardly " nitpicking" in my view. Its an extraordinary claim.

LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Simon E. wrote:Ok.. " monks need to refrain from celibacy " means that monks should have sex. Is that what you meant ?
What do you think?
And saying that evidence is needed to support the idea that one of the results of divorce is a rise in the numbers of serial killers is hardly " nitpicking" in my view. Its an extraordinary claim.
Ok granted.

But what I meant to say in that paragraph?

Can a guy be a clumsy with his words sometimes? If you don't understand this, I am assuming you are nit-picking.
It’s eye blinking.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I have absolutely no idea what " refraining from celibacy can mean " unless you are saying that Monks SHOULD have sex.
Perhaps you meant to say "should be celibate " or should refrain from sex ".

Pointing out that someone may have just said the complete opposite to what they meant is hardly nit-picking... :smile:

:namaste:

Oh, and what is true for monks does not apply to lay people, and certainly does not apply to Dzogchen students per se.

LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

The common mentality is to pick on the mistakes instead of praising the right things that people say or do. This mentality cannot help make a person better.
It’s eye blinking.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Whatever sir...whatever.

LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Simon E. wrote:Whatever sir...whatever.
One Minute Manager needs to integrate the 6 Paramitas, in my opinion. Though the book reflects some of Buddhist teachings. Still a good book.
It’s eye blinking.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Interesting detail about the Tummo practice. I've heard of the Kama Sutra of Sex Tantric Practice. But that is probably over-hyped or hyped-up
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Sönam wrote:
Lhug-Pa wrote:I'm still not quite 100% sure what the Dzogchen view is on Sexual Yoga.
The Dzogchen view on that like on other points is very simple ... do your best, work with your circumstances and all that is your limitations. Therefore Sexual Yoga could be integrated in your Dzogchen practice ... but you have to go in essence.

Sönam

Dzogchen practice and Sexual Yoga is something I might take up with the right partner. :smile:
Saoshun

Post by Saoshun »

what creates good karma or bad karma is intention. if your intention is to put your effort to satisfy you partner needs even if it's lust it's very good karma. but if you use, abuse sex it's bad karma. all that is like a knife, you either save life someone with knife or take life with anger. it's just that. sex is neither good and bad itself as water is neither sweet or sour, it depends with what type of things it mixes.
gloriasteinem

Post by gloriasteinem »

Your view is very noble, Shaosun :) at first time I wholely agree that it could be harmful but also beneficial because it could be a way to calm, give love, attention, etc. I personally think of it as a type of communicating with someone you love, but sometimes it could be much more than that like a feeling of release and calming, and many more. And as you say it depends on your heart feeling. :consoling:
Saoshun

Post by Saoshun »

In dual world people forget that this kind of stuff, sex and all that it's can be just expression of non dual experience. It's always karmic expressions around, just depends on which triggers it. So saying this is bad and this is good is ignorance because things manifest depends on the trigger and karmic set of the person. If person are not conscious they will be just puppets of karma.
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

I don't see how indulging in sense pleasures can be considered good karma. But, it's certainly not as bad as unwholesome conduct.
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
Saoshun

Post by Saoshun »

seeker242 wrote:
I don't see how indulging in sense pleasures can be considered good karma. But, it's certainly not as bad as unwholesome conduct.
If you will know "skillful means" you will know that there is liberation in indulging in sense of pleasure.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”