Introduction

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Scylla

Introduction

Post by Scylla »

Hello, My name is Kathy, and I'm from NY. I started out reading Lama SuryDas' "Awakening the Buddha Within" and something sang out to me. I found myself crying for joy, for no reason, as if Ifound something I had lost. I've been accumulating books, mostly on Dzogchen, and trying to teach myself Dharma. I've been haunting websites and in my searches I've found Dharma Wheel. I'm still searching, because I need a real life teacher. I'm happy to have found this forum, and I've been following up on resources that have been posted. I mostly lurk and read, and I may occasionally make my voice heard. I will probably not post very often. That doesn't mean I'm not here, nor does it mean I'm not approachable. My email is in my profile. I look forward to learning, and your company. Thank you for this forum!
Kathy

Men have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
shel

Re: Introduction

Post by shel »

Hiya Scylla, welcome.

La Petit Prince est merveilleux!
Luke

Post by Luke »

Hi Kathy,

Yow! New York! You should have plenty of selection of Buddhist teachers there!

If you find yourself attracted to Dzogchen, you might want to find a Nyingma lama to learn from because Dzogchen is basically the most advanced teaching of the Nyingma school. Practioners of the Bön religion also practice Dzogchen and most modern Bön is essentially the same as Tibetan Buddhism. You might also find Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche's books interesting.

Many Kagyu lamas also practice Dzogchen--especially the Drikung Kagyu.

I believe Lama Surya Das is in Boston, so you could probably go and see him in person every few months if you really wanted to.

Anyway, if you decide to learn from a traditional lama, the things you will most likely work on first are shinay, lojong, and the four thoughts which turn the mind to the Dharma. Also many lamas give teachings about Shantideva's classic book which you can read here:
http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/x/pdf ... _locale=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm excited for you. You have so many great new possibilities in your life now that you've discovered the Dharma.

:anjali:
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Welcome to Dharma Wheel.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hi:

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Hi Kathy,

I'm very glad that you found us! Welcome to Dharma Wheel, please make yourself at home.

Best,
Laura

Return to “Introductions”