What are your favourite Mahayana Sutras?

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: What are your favourite Mahayana Sutras?

Post by Grigoris »

Personally when I think Heart Sutra I think Madhyamaka. Is Madhyamaka Sutra or Tantra?
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

However many tantras look outwardly like books of magic and the Heart Sutra, while being really magical, doesn't have this characteristic.
The magical nature of empty bewildered mirage and the magical nature of make believe deity in purity garden is the same magical empty nature but constructing the dirty and the garden then letting it dissolve taps you one the shoulder when you next review the magical nature of empty bewildered mirage and go "oh" as your "eureka" or "aha" and that "aha" is is that of Avalokitesvara reviewing the skandhas, and seeing them empty, exclaims the "Gate Gate..." mantra as his "aha".

No Heart Sutra no Mantra.

Another hint----> :broke:
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

but constructing the dirty and the garden
:rolling:

I intended to type: but constructing the DEITY and the garden! :oops:

You have to smile to keep from crying. And remain humbug. No, I mean humble!
practitioner

Post by practitioner »

gregkavarnos wrote:Personally when I think Heart Sutra I think Madhyamaka. Is Madhyamaka Sutra or Tantra?
:namaste:
Good point, I feel similarly. Although viewing thru that Madyamaka lens I feel silly for trying to justify a label...
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva

Return to “Sūtra Studies”