What is Buddhism?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
muni

What is Buddhism?

Post by muni »

I think when I look at it and try to simplify it I would say that in my view Buddhism is about self-development; how to develop loving-kindness, how to develop compassion; how to develop tolerance. It Is about how to develop ourselves in this direction so that we are not just thinking of ourselves but thinking of how we can help all other people. It is about self-development but not in the sense of development of ego or self-importance, but about developing loving-kindness and compassion so by achieving that we can also help others. I think this is a simple description of what Buddhism Is.
http://www.samyeling.org/index/buddhism ... on-answers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yogicfire

Re: What is Buddhism?

Post by Yogicfire »

Quite a nice start. I suppose I would shy away from using the phrase "self-development," even though he makes it clear that he is not talking about the ego or any form of self.

I guess Buddhism at its root is all about development, though. Developing compassion, developing wisdom and clarity.

It requires quite a lot of patience.
mudra

Post by mudra »

Yogicfire wrote:Quite a nice start. I suppose I would shy away from using the phrase "self-development," even though he makes it clear that he is not talking about the ego or any form of self.

I guess Buddhism at its root is all about development, though. Developing compassion, developing wisdom and clarity.

It requires quite a lot of patience.
Developing qualities on the one hand and purifying negative aspects on the other, particularly view.
Method and Wisdom.

Self-development is a term we are going to have a hard time getting away from these days, like 'higher-self' etc.
muni

Post by muni »

Yes, obscurations or innate qualities. The word self is on itself not harming, not benefiting but can give rise of misunderstanding (like idea Hinduism) on ones path.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

I think "Buddhism" was invented in the 19th century.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?sea ... hmode=none" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Buddhism
1801, from Buddha + -ism.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Buddhism is Shakyamuni Buddha's teachings on how to eliminate suffering.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
mudra

Post by mudra »

kirtu wrote:Buddhism is Shakyamuni Buddha's teachings on how to eliminate suffering.

Kirt
:anjali:

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”