Did siddha Ramalinga achive the rainbow body?

Rakz

Did siddha Ramalinga achive the rainbow body?

Post by Rakz »

This from wikipedia.

Perhaps one of the most notable factors of this sage is the claim that he supposedly attained a divinization of the physical body. He attained a total of 3 transformations. His first transformation was the transformation of his normal human body into the Perfect Body, between the supposed attributes of this body are total invulnerability to everything thus rendering him effectively immortal and impervious to any kind of damage as well as having the attributes of being omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient this body is apparently made of Divine Light.

Beyond this state there was a subsequent transformation by which the Perfect Body transformed further into the Grace Body possessing the following attributes: This body have automatically a young appearance like that of a kid, can be seen but cant be touched, and has complete and absolute dominion over all the Siddhis.

Even beyond he State of the Grace Body supposedly there was a third and final transformation in which the Grace Body was transformed into the Bliss Body. This body is the body of the Supreme Godhead and is automatically omnipresent but cant be perceived by anyone.

By achieving this Ramalinga demonstrated that the ultimate states of spirituality can in fact be attained in this world with the physical body and death is not a necessity to experience the ultimate spiritual experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramalinga_Swamigal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
krodha

Re: Did siddha Ramalinga achive the rainbow body?

Post by krodha »

There's supposedly a few other traditions which have fruition (and practices) equivalent to rainbow body. Maybe someone else can elaborate but I remember a Taoist practice, and a Christian/Catholic practice was spoken of as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the same type of phenomena manifested for individuals of other traditions in rare cases. The fact that it's possible has to be an attribute which is universal to life in general, so if the right conditions and causes are met I don't see why not.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

That sounds like the trikaya model. Does anyone know if that exists in Hinduism?
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

asunthatneversets wrote:There's supposedly a few other traditions which have fruition (and practices) equivalent to rainbow body. Maybe someone else can elaborate but I remember a Taoist practice, and a Christian/Catholic practice was spoken of as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the same type of phenomena manifested for individuals of other traditions in rare cases. The fact that it's possible has to be an attribute which is universal to life in general, so if the right conditions and causes are met I don't see why not.
I've heard there are different types of rainbow bodies. For example the one manifested by bon practice is different than the one manifested by dzogchen practice. If this is the case then the ones in Hindu, Taoist, or Christian traditions must also be different or this could just be a false assumption.
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Nighthawk wrote: I've heard there are different types of rainbow bodies.
There are 4 kinds of rainbow bodies in Dzogchen. They are signs of Thod-rgal practice.
For example the one manifested by bon practice is different than the one manifested by dzogchen practice.
Do you have any reference for that ? Because it seems pretty unlikely. Rainbow Body in Bon results from Dzogchen practice, and more precisely Thod-rgal.
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

mutsuk wrote: Do you have any reference for that ? Because it seems pretty unlikely. Rainbow Body in Bon results from Dzogchen practice, and more precisely Thod-rgal.
I do not... I believe I read it some time ago from a post here by a member.
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Then, it's simply a mistake.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

After 14 years of practice he probably did.
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Wesley1982 wrote:After 14 years of practice he probably did.
I could not care less but then it would be interesting to find the source saying that Bon Rainbow Body is different... I doubt one can find such a canonical reference. So there is certainly a mistake in this assertion.
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

Rainbow body isn't an achievement. Ignorance is an achievement.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Who talks about achievement? Rainbow Body is a sign.
I'm merely pointing the fact that someone saying the Rainbow Body in Bon is different from that of other Dzogchen (Nyingma) lineages is wrong. There's no difference.
Such a person is propagating a mistake. If he has sources for his assertions, he should provide references, not hearsay.
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

Right. Since it's not an achievement in the conventional / causal sense then there would be no difference.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.

Return to “Dzogchen”