Dreaming of Ekajati

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
underthetree

Dreaming of Ekajati

Post by underthetree »

Ekajati made a brief but powerful appearance in a dream last night. The context was wistful, almost pleasantly sad: what the Portuguese call saudade, perhaps. Definitely not upsetting but extremely significant. This on top of a snatch of lucid dreaming which woke me up to the realization that I was as deeply affected by the dream situation as I had been by a similar event during the day - both dream and 'reality' had equal weight and indeed 'reality'. That has been happening a few times recently.

Normally I wouldn't trouble others with my dreams but Ekajati needs to be taken seriously, I think. Any ideas what this dream might signify, if anything?
DarwidHalim

Re: Dreaming of Ekajati

Post by DarwidHalim »

Some people say life is like a dream, but not a dream. They reject the notion that life is not dream. Dream is dream. Life is life. They separate dream as unreal, life is real, as if these two are separate world.

Life is a dream, or life is like a dream?

From your dream experience, which one do you think is true and why you think so? If you don't mind, probably you can share.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
underthetree

Post by underthetree »

DarwidHalim wrote:Some people say life is like a dream, but not a dream. They reject the notion that life is not dream. Dream is dream. Life is life. They separate dream as unreal, life is real, as if these two are separate world.

Life is a dream, or life is like a dream?

From your dream experience, which one do you think is true and why you think so? If you don't mind, probably you can share.
From my recent experiences, which come alongside some deepening (at least I hope so) in my meditation practice, I find that fundamentally they seem to operate on the same plane, in that an action in a dream brings about the same emotional reaction - mentally and physically - as the same action in waking life. As in waking life I've started to become much more aware of afflictive emotions and their consequences, so in dreaming. I find, when a dream-action wakes me up, I find myself struggling with a real emotion and its consequences in a 'waking' manner, exactly as if the action itself had taken place in 'reality'.

Does that make sense?
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

underthetree wrote:Ekajati made a brief but powerful appearance in a dream last night. The context was wistful, almost pleasantly sad: what the Portuguese call saudade, perhaps. Definitely not upsetting but extremely significant. This on top of a snatch of lucid dreaming which woke me up to the realization that I was as deeply affected by the dream situation as I had been by a similar event during the day - both dream and 'reality' had equal weight and indeed 'reality'. That has been happening a few times recently.

Normally I wouldn't trouble others with my dreams but Ekajati needs to be taken seriously, I think. Any ideas what this dream might signify, if anything?
I suggest that you now make progress from this through something like a dark retreat, if you can spare the time. This is more likely to help you find something meaningful than asking others, or at least that's my own experience. Let the reality be revealed.
Left
DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

underthetree wrote: Does that make sense?
Yup. :guns:
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
byamspa

Post by byamspa »

You could always ask her too. :)
Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

I had a dreams about Ekajati some years back and I went to Bhakha Tulku Rinpoche to ask him about it. He just laughed and said "the dakinis are funny." Basically, don't take it so serious, but also it is a message for you to understand within yourself. These dreams often have deep layers of symbolic meaning that can take time to unfold for you. Also they can be really direct and honest, and it may take time for you to accept that honesty. And ultimately dreams are unreal. That's the most important thing to know.
underthetree

Post by underthetree »

byamspa wrote:You could always ask her too. :)
I think I will. Thanks.
underthetree

Post by underthetree »

Thanks for all the replies.

I think that this experience wasn't primarily about Ekajati. What is important is the blurring of the border between dream-state and waking. I'm obviously going to have to explore dream yoga.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

underthetree wrote:Ekajati made a brief but powerful appearance in a dream last night. The context was wistful, almost pleasantly sad: what the Portuguese call saudade, perhaps. Definitely not upsetting but extremely significant. This on top of a snatch of lucid dreaming which woke me up to the realization that I was as deeply affected by the dream situation as I had been by a similar event during the day - both dream and 'reality' had equal weight and indeed 'reality'. That has been happening a few times recently.

You should read Dream Yoga by Chogyal Namkhai Norbu.

Kevin
krodha

Post by krodha »

I dreamt of Ekajati two nights ago... In the same dream ended up assembling some altar with a wood block carving of her that hung on the front of some mini stupa thing too... We partied.
byamspa

Post by byamspa »

2 nights ago was the 25th day of the lunar calendar month btw, you know, Dakini day...
Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
underthetree

Post by underthetree »

byamspa wrote:2 nights ago was the 25th day of the lunar calendar month btw, you know, Dakini day...
Exactly!
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Just my two cents, but I would only talk over such dreams with my Teacher(s) or senior vajra brothers and sisters. :namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Perhaps you need a girlfriend.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
username

Post by username »

In Tibet people rarely mentioned Protectors publicly though that might have been excessive in my opinion. Also not all dreams of Vajrayana figures means it was them. Some lamas state they receive so many emails about dreams that they request their sangha not to enquire, others do not mind & welcome them.

In old Tibet if a dream was thought of as special then it was not told to anyone of the the sangha as some believed it was not right to do so in order to ensure it's effect & hopefully similar recurrence. If I recall correctly Khen Ngagchung when asked by his guru about his dreams refused even him.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Lingpupa wrote:Perhaps you need a girlfriend.
Dreams may be prompted by all sorts of daytime experiences. Certainly worth keeping one eye on. ;)

Left

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”