Recalling Buddha's image versus visualisation..

NGSigma

Recalling Buddha's image versus visualisation..

Post by NGSigma »

Hi guys,

I just want to share an experience from my limited years of recitation.

Recently, I have started 'added' something into my recitation method and found that it has greatly improved my concentration and ability to stop unwanted thoughts creeping into my mind. The addition is recalling/ remembering an image of Amitabha Buddha. (I used the image painted by the late Venerable Dao Zheng.)

I realised that each time I recite 'Amitabha' while at the same time recalling Buddha image, I was able to stop other thoughts from showing up. I 'experimented' doing recitation with and without image recollection. The former method was always effective at getting rid of mundane thoughts. As a result, I was able to recite for a long period of time without feeling tired or disappointed :twothumbsup: (sometimes I feel disappointed if I can't can concentrate as much as I like).

Is recollecting an image of a Buddha the same as visualisation? Will visualisation be even better? And how do you guys carry out visualisation? :?:

Cheers
Dan
:namaste:
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Recalling Buddha's image versus visualisation..

Post by DGA »

It seems to me that what you're describing as recalling an image sounds very much like visualization already.
sinweiy

Post by sinweiy »

what you have is just a basic form of visualisation.
the correct method is not that easy if you look at
The Sutra of Visualization of the Buddha of Infinite Life
as Expounded by Shakyamuni Buddha
FIRST VISUALIZATION: THE SETTING SUN

The Buddha said to Vaidehi, "You and all sentient beings should single-mindedly concentrate your thoughts with one-pointed attention, on the Western Quarter. How is this to be done? All the multitudes of sentient beings who are not born blind and have the sense of sight have seen the setting sun. Focusing your attention and sitting in the proper posture, you should face the west. Contemplatively examine the sun, with your mind firmly fixed upon it. Firmly concentrate upon the setting sun and do not let your sight wander from it. It should appear like a (red) drum suspended above the horizon. Once the sun is visualized in this way, then whether the eyes are shut or open, it can be clearly seen. This is the image of the sun and is called the First Visualization."
http://www.purifymind.com/VisualizationInfinite.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the first Visualization is where ever you go, the sun is always in front of you. not easy.
Buddha recitation is easier though.
_/\_
Amituofo!

"Enlightenment is to turn around and see MY own mistake, Other's mistake is also my mistake. Others are right even if they are wrong. i'm wrong even if i'm right. " - Master Chin Kung
NGSigma

Post by NGSigma »

sinweiy wrote:what you have is just a basic form of visualisation.
the correct method is not that easy if you look at
The Sutra of Visualization of the Buddha of Infinite Life
as Expounded by Shakyamuni Buddha
FIRST VISUALIZATION: THE SETTING SUN

The Buddha said to Vaidehi, "You and all sentient beings should single-mindedly concentrate your thoughts with one-pointed attention, on the Western Quarter. How is this to be done? All the multitudes of sentient beings who are not born blind and have the sense of sight have seen the setting sun. Focusing your attention and sitting in the proper posture, you should face the west. Contemplatively examine the sun, with your mind firmly fixed upon it. Firmly concentrate upon the setting sun and do not let your sight wander from it. It should appear like a (red) drum suspended above the horizon. Once the sun is visualized in this way, then whether the eyes are shut or open, it can be clearly seen. This is the image of the sun and is called the First Visualization."
http://www.purifymind.com/VisualizationInfinite.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the first Visualization is where ever you go, the sun is always in front of you. not easy.
Buddha recitation is easier though.
Thank you Sin Wei for pointing me to this Sutra. I have heard of this Sutra but never read it until you pointed it to me.
I found the sections on the 3 grades of rebirth most wonderful and encouraging, with this sentence capturing my attention the most: "Transferring the merit for rebirth, they vow to be reborn in that land. By accomplishing these virtuous acts for a period of from one to seven days, they immediately attain rebirth.".

Return to “Pure Land”