becoming a wandering yogi?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Kris

Re: becoming a wandering yogi?

Post by Kris »

Konchog1 wrote:
RikudouSennin wrote:
CrawfordHollow wrote:I just PM'd you the info for the center in Tenn. Your timing is right, the resident teacher just e-mailed me today about going there, so I am sure you can work something out. Yudron is right, there aren't that many centers in the south. I sent you some information on the Garchen Institute in Arizona. There are many other centers in Colorado, California, and Oregon that would probably take you. Just e-mail them.

Since you seem to be interested in Dzogchen, I would highly recommend watching the next webcast, its an open webcast and I think it starts next week. During the last days of the retreat ChNN always transmits a number of lungs for secondary practices. These lungs are actual transmissions of mantras that you can recieve as long as you tune in live. The first one that he always gives is the practice of Green Tara. I think that this practice would bring you much benifit in your situation. It will help to open up these doors. Her mantra can aid you in overcoming obstacles and will bring you much benefit and success. There are many other transmissions such as Tun and Ganapuja that you can recieve that will be of help. And of course ChNN always gives some kind of pointing out or direct introduction.

I am glad we connected. I don't post much here, so it was nice to have this communication. Let me know how things turn out.

All the best,
Troy
I have heard many wonders for the Green Tara practice :twothumbsup:
cant wait unil next week. :jumping:
http://resources.tsemtulku.com/prayers/ ... lible.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It requires transmission or empowerment right?
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
CrawfordHollow

Post by CrawfordHollow »

Tara, like Chenrezik is one of the few practices in Vajrayana that does not require an empowerment. The practice that ChNN gives out does require a transmission, but he gives that transmission on the last day of every retreat. There is a bookelet and mp3 that you can purchase from Shang Shung USA or an e-book that you can get from Shang Shung Europe, but I believe that you need to be a DC member to get them, although there may be ways around this, not shure. I don't think that it would hurt to start working with her mantra right away, though. You can also chant the Vajra Guru mantra, which will definately help you to find a teacher. Do some research on these practices and definately watch the webcasts. Your not working so you've got no excuse not to!

That's a bummer about the employment situation, I've definately been there before, its tough. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that you can start chanting her mantra right now. The mantra is really helpful is situations like these, it acts as a magnet for success. OM TARE TUTTARE TURE SOHA
Kris

Post by Kris »

CrawfordHollow wrote:Tara, like Chenrezik is one of the few practices in Vajrayana that does not require an empowerment. The practice that ChNN gives out does require a transmission, but he gives that transmission on the last day of every retreat. There is a bookelet and mp3 that you can purchase from Shang Shung USA or an e-book that you can get from Shang Shung Europe, but I believe that you need to be a DC member to get them, although there may be ways around this, not shure. I don't think that it would hurt to start working with her mantra right away, though. You can also chant the Vajra Guru mantra, which will definately help you to find a teacher. Do some research on these practices and definately watch the webcasts. Your not working so you've got no excuse not to!

That's a bummer about the employment situation, I've definately been there before, its tough. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that you can start chanting her mantra right now. The mantra is really helpful is situations like these, it acts as a magnet for success. OM TARE TUTTARE TURE SOHA
Yes!
okay i have been doing the vajra guru mantra for about a week now, ill incorporate the Tara practice and continue my shamatha and vipassana.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Kris

Post by Kris »

completely off toic but what type of robe is Milarepa commonly depicted in?
i want to say the ngapkas..but am not sure
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Repa.

Kevin
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

He means a white sheet that is the garb of those who can quickly dry a white sheet soaked in ice water that such a yogi can quickly dry with his/her own body heat through a practice that heats up one's body (tummo). Accomplished tummo practitioners can live above the snowline in clothed only in a white sheet.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Stewart wrote:My Guru is wandering as a Yogi in the Himalayas for the next few years....not easy I guess...took only the clothes on his back and no possessions, not even his glasses!
Well, he is also almost certainly an Arya Bodhisattva.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

kirtu wrote:
Stewart wrote:My Guru is wandering as a Yogi in the Himalayas for the next few years....not easy I guess...took only the clothes on his back and no possessions, not even his glasses!
Well, he is also almost certainly an Arya Bodhisattva.

Kirt
I have no doubt he is an awakened master.
s.
Kris

simple sadhanas.

Post by Kris »

I have been trying to practice some simple sadhanas,but was not sure if certain things needed transmission.
for instance i wanted to do theis practice: http://drubwangrinpoche.preciousteachin ... dhana.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
as well as the Tara chant/Praise 21 Tara
and the vajra guru mantra/sadhana
i want these to be my main practice for now but am unsure if im authorized to do them.

do i need a mala?
i have a tulasi mala from india i used for my mahamantra chanting, can this be used or...
Last edited by Kris on Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: simple sadhanas.

Post by kirtu »

RikudouSennin wrote:I have been trying to practice some simple sadhanas,but was not sure if certain things needed transmission.
for instance i wanted to do theis practice:http://drubwangrinpoche.preciousteachin ... dhana.html
as well as the Tara chant/Praise 21 Tara
and the vajra guru mantra/sadhana
i want these to be my main practice for now but am unsure if im authorized to do them.
Drubwang Rinpoche would want you to do Chenrezig Sadhana. Almost all published Chenrezig Sadhana are okay to do but you should get the empowerment later and visualize Chenrezig in front of you or on your head. 21 Taras also has an empowerment but you can do the 21 Tara sadhana and esp. the Tara mantra no problem.
do i need a mala?
i have a tulasi mala from india i used for my mahamantra chanting, can this be used or...
You don't need a mala. If you have a mala or any kind of rosary you can count on it.

Kirt
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Kris

Post by Kris »

okay great thanks.
i also have the double rosary mala the purelanders use, so ill incorporte that as well
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Kris

Post by Kris »

does the sadhana have to be in tibetan?
i have a nice way of chanting english since i couldnt chant in sanskrit some of the hindu texts .
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

RikudouSennin wrote:does the sadhana have to be in tibetan?
i have a nice way of chanting english since i couldnt chant in sanskrit some of the hindu texts .
Not unless you understand the Tibetan although many groups do chant in Tibetan.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Kris

Post by Kris »

kirtu wrote:
RikudouSennin wrote:does the sadhana have to be in tibetan?
Not unless you understand the Tibetan although many groups do chant in Tibetan.

Kirt
i can see how the tibetan would have a certian ancient ritual sound
but i would just be confused, i think ill try english and then tibetan just to see how the tibetan feels.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
krodha

Post by krodha »

Jyoti wrote:RikudouSennin, looking at your age and economic situation, I would recommend you find a part time job while continue your academic study. You will regret when you are older and find yourself without any qualification needed to work in society. Forget about retreat or dzogchen (for a while) since these are beyond your means, if you are serious about dharma, the scriptures are free at any buddhist libraries (this is where I have used to study to gain the knowledge of dharma).
Bullshit.

Rikudou, follow your heart and seize the day, don't wait for anything! Not even the next minute is guaranteed. Your strong interest and affinity for the teachings means you're ready. Never pass up an opportunity to learn/practice the dharma. And dzogchen is beyond no ones means, it is your authentic condition, always has been and always will be. It is innate and cannot be lost or acquired, you only need to recognize it.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

asunthatneversets wrote:
Jyoti wrote:RikudouSennin, looking at your age and economic situation, I would recommend you find a part time job while continue your academic study. You will regret when you are older and find yourself without any qualification needed to work in society. Forget about retreat or dzogchen (for a while) since these are beyond your means, if you are serious about dharma, the scriptures are free at any buddhist libraries (this is where I have used to study to gain the knowledge of dharma).
Bullshit.
Not BS even though your observations are correct - we have no guarantee about any future time. We also have no guarantee about future circumstances and unfortunately Rikudou is caught in very bad circumstances that he has adapted to so far. Rikudou, it might be a good thing to see if you could work in a Dharma Center in exchange for room and board. Do short term retreats.

In the US and much of the First World, although the societies are rich enough to provide all the basic needs of it's citizenry, the society is set up to ration resources on the basis of money. This is because the societies are still officially wedded to the idea that a scarcity of resources exists and therefore rationing on the basis of money is necessary. The major difference between the US and advanced nations is that most advanced nations provide substantial resources for people who have fallen between the cracks. The US does not and the society assumes that a person who has fallen between the cracks is mentally ill, or wishes to live the homeless life, or is a drug or alcohol abuser. Part of the reason for this attitude is Americans have been conditioned to think this and then just ignore people in need.

We live in a world bounded by real practicalities. In the US, missteps are often unrecoverable. It's a very harsh society although it also has some compassionate people. The very best thing would be for Rikudou to come into contact with one of these compassionate people who can help him get on his feet. If you have about $10,000 and can't find work within 1 month, then the best thing would be to move to India and Nepal for at least a year because employment recovery will continue to be a failure for at least another year. Another option is to create a business - that is difficult and most businesses fail.

There are apparently lots of part-time jobs but they may not be where one lives and they are not usually enough to survive on. A part-time job in the US may still force you to become a wandering yogi (or at least live in the woods).

Becoming a wandering yogi is really for people who have totally abandoned needing the normal necessities of life. This isn't supported in the US. It was supported in Tibet and India. People therefore had some degree of assurance that the society would support their decision and they could practice and not die immediately. In the US (or anywhere this isn't supported) one could starve to death in a short time.

So Rikudou please decide well. It might be a good thing to see if you could work in a Dharma Center in exchange for room and board. There aren't that many that offer this but some do.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
florin

Post by florin »

you need to have a certain degree of stability to be able to go wandering otherwise everything you will encounter on your path will increase your suffering tenfold.

fantasy ,solidifying and concepts will proliferate if you dont have the knowledge of how to integrate the apparent lack of certain luxuries.
Thrasymachus

Post by Thrasymachus »

There are actually people who refuse to use money. One example in the United States is Daniel Suelo who stopped using money since about 2000. Here is his zero currency blog, his webpage and here is an audio interview he did. He has a great argument for why he lives like that. One day he realized when you take an apple from a tree, the tree doesn't demand, "What will you give me before I release this apple?" The whole world operates on a natural gift economy. This socially evolved incarnation of humanity is just sick and demented, so we build false social orders and institutions to suit greed, ignorance and selfishness.

I am not so sure you will be a successful yogi with what you plan on doing, but imho, the type of symbolic actions Suelo is doing is more important than just expecting people to take steps toward alleged self-enlightenment.
username

Post by username »

Those that say this is not ancient India are wrong. Firstly there are wandering Vajrayana yogis in India now as in Tibet, Nepal & even Bhutan. Secondly there are western wandering Vajrayana yogis too. However since you are a newcomer I would say take at least a couple of years to build up your base in Dzogchen & Vajrayana. Otherwise there is no point. Also when they want to send you to some center's work camp I would think twice. There have been seasoned practitioners who did not have nice experiences in some of those though most seem to be OK. I would say try to learn the basics of dharma, Vajrayana (Tantric) & Dzogchen for at least a couple of years where you are and not associate dharma with labor for roof/food as a beginner. After a couple of years of building a good base, then you can ask a high lama for a divination too whether you should do it if you still want to. The great yogi Lama Dawa might resume giving divinations by then. In the meantime you can integrate your daily routines with trying to get into the nature of mind. Wandering yogis (yogi means already well trained) are on a fast track and should not be condemned as irrelevant in the west by some. Even ChNN when he was young spent a couple of years wandering as a Chodpa with almost nothing with a friend in Tibet & IIRC even Bhutan. But first you need a solid base in learning & developing practice, otherwise no point. All the best to you & your noble aspirations.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
Kris

Post by Kris »

username wrote:Those that say this is not ancient India are wrong. Firstly there are wandering Vajrayana yogis in India now as in Tibet, Nepal & even Bhutan. Secondly there are western wandering Vajrayana yogis too. However since you are a newcomer I would say take at least a couple of years to build up your base in Dzogchen & Vajrayana. Otherwise there is no point. Also when they want to send you to some center's work camp I would think twice. There have been seasoned practitioners who did not have nice experiences in some of those though most seem to be OK. I would say try to learn the basics of dharma, Vajrayana (Tantric) & Dzogchen for at least a couple of years where you are and not associate dharma with labor for roof/food as a beginner. After a couple of years of building a good base, then you can ask a high lama for a divination too whether you should do it if you still want to. The great yogi Lama Dawa might resume giving divinations by then. In the meantime you can integrate your daily routines with trying to get into the nature of mind. Wandering yogis (yogi means already well trained) are on a fast track and should not be condemned as irrelevant in the west by some. Even ChNN when he was young spent a couple of years wandering as a Chodpa with almost nothing with a friend in Tibet & IIRC even Bhutan. But first you need a solid base in learning & developing practice, otherwise no point. All the best to you & your noble aspirations.
Ah thank you, I have decided to learn more before leaving like you stated, i need to really be grounded first.
i dont know where i get this urge from, but it is there and i will become a wandering yogi when the time is right, but for now i will attend webcast and meet with dzogchen practicioners in my area (there are some dc members in my area and im meeting up with them tomorrow).

I dont want to be a monk but the yogi lifestyle is just for me, when i was young( like 9 or 10) i used to get my mom to make me a robe out of laundry sheet. of course she thought it was weird.....but she knew i was curious.I have been learning about the yogis since i could read from national geographic to autobiography of a yogi, babaji ...the bengali yogis and vrindavan babaji tradition, but what has really touched me the most in the most profund way is the dzogchen teachings and lineage. I feel truly blessed to have come across these teachings because its based on direct experince itsself :meditate:

Om Ah Hum
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”