Patrons

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
bunny

Patrons

Post by bunny »

Hi all :)

I have mentioned before that I have a patron god. I am not a Buddhist but I am considering taking on Buddhism as an extension of my current path. I know I have mentioned this before. Apologies for repeating.

I am just curious if anyone else here who is non-Buddhist (if anyone else here is) also has a patron god/goddess. Also some of you who are Buddhists might be curious as to what I mean. If either is the case feel free to comment or ask questions and I will answer as best as I can.

I have meditated about posting this and I consider it is the correct thing to do.

P.S. I was so close to not posting this, of fear that you may think I am attention-seeking. That is not the case. Also if it is the will of the 'powers that be' to remove this thread then I have no issue with that. I can and do get paranoid when going somewhere new, until I find my bearings/feet. This is something I am working on.
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Patrons

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

bunny wrote:Hi all :)

I have mentioned before that I have a patron god. I am not a Buddhist but I am considering taking on Buddhism as an extension of my current path.
Do you mean "taking on" to mean:
1. "challenging" (as an opponent)
or
2. adding more baggage to what you are already lugging around

? ? ?
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
underthetree

Post by underthetree »

Perhaps if you consider changing 'extension' for 'integration'...

Buddhism can be very simple but it tends to be all-involving. You can practice it in a quite 'religious' way with a lot of accessories and complexity or you can strip it down to almost nothing. I understand - I think - your impulse but at its essence, the Buddhist path is purely experiential and if you commit yourself to it you might find that your need for 'spiritual accessories' (this is how I describe them to myself, anyway) starts to fade. I'm not talking about deliberate renunciation or rejection: things move on. Things fall into place. And out of place. And then 'place' itself becomes debatable.

I suppose it all depends on how much you require your spiritual practice to be an interaction with something other.
bunny

Post by bunny »

PadmaVonSamba: I mean understanding and learning more about Buddhism and considering taking it as an extention of my current path.

PadmaVonSamba & underthetree: what I mean by "extension" is this, imagine my path is like a tree with branches, is branch is an extension of the tree. The trunk of the tree is the core of my path, with each branch being an extension of my path.

I hope I have answered this okay. If not I'll try again later or in a few days. I'm currently post-migraine and my head is still a bit groggy.
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
SSJ3Gogeta

Post by SSJ3Gogeta »

A god is merely another sentient being.

If he helps you out, great. More power to you.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Hi Bunny,

Very brave of you. I also have a few friends. :smile:

There are many practices (like Diety yoga) that are incorporated in to Buddhism. But, ultimately there is a "letting go" of the Diety.

:smile:
bunny

Post by bunny »

I did not seek out my patron god, he sought me out. Before I committed myself to this path, a few days before, he appeared to me and claimed me when I committed myself to my path. What I mean by claim his, that he sought to aid me and guide me during my path and throughout my life. All that are pagan have a patron god/goddess. Not all are aware of him/her. Not all can converse with them. Not all can see them.

As well as my patron god I am protected by Hecate. She is the goddess of witches.
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

bunny wrote:I did not seek out my patron god, he sought me out. Before I committed myself to this path, a few days before, he appeared to me and claimed me when I committed myself to my path. What I mean by claim his, that he sought to aid me and guide me during my path and throughout my life. All that are pagan have a patron god/goddess. Not all are aware of him/her. Not all can converse with them. Not all can see them.

As well as my patron god I am protected by Hecate. She is the goddess of witches.
What kind of interaction do you have with your patron god? Or Hecate?

bunny

Post by bunny »

Jeff that's a big question! So please bare with me.

I perform two rituals daily, no matter what the day is. One in the morning and one at night-time. These rituals also contain mediation. All my rituals honour & respect my patron god, Hecate & the Lord and Lady. Depending on the ritual and the day, others might be honoured as well.

If I require assistance throughout the day, I can ask my patron god for assistance. During the days of observance, I perfom two extra rituals. On other special days of my path, I pay respects and give an offering to both my patron god & Hecate.

During the New Moon, Full Moon & Blue Moons I perform rituals.

Basically my patron god & Hecate are there for me, if I ever need them. Generally speaking they just linger in the background, letting me get on with things. If there is something I should be made aware of they tell me. They guide me in my everyday life.

Hope that answers your question Jeff :)
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

bunny wrote:... imagine my path is like a tree with branches, is branch is an extension of the tree. The trunk of the tree is the core of my path, with each branch being an extension of my path.
Hmmm... How can you follow a branching path?
SSJ3Gogeta

Post by SSJ3Gogeta »

I don't understand this "path".

Ok, so you make friends with a couple of nonphysical beings.

Then what?
SSJ3Gogeta

Post by SSJ3Gogeta »

bunny wrote:I did not seek out my patron god, he sought me out. Before I committed myself to this path, a few days before, he appeared to me and claimed me when I committed myself to my path. What I mean by claim his, that he sought to aid me and guide me during my path and throughout my life.
I'm sure he did.

This is typical negative entity behavior.

I wouldn't believe a word he says.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

To me, it all sounds like a manifestation of mental clinging.
The whole wicca thing is fine for those who are into that,
but it doesn't cut through attachment to "me" and "mine"
and this attachment, according to The Buddha,
is the ground from which a suffering and dissatisfaction grows.
I hope you will explore the dharma teachings more and benefit from them what you can
but don't be surprised if they don't line up with your "branches".
EMPTIFUL.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

bunny wrote:Jeff that's a big question! So please bare with me.

I perform two rituals daily, no matter what the day is. One in the morning and one at night-time. These rituals also contain mediation. All my rituals honour & respect my patron god, Hecate & the Lord and Lady. Depending on the ritual and the day, others might be honoured as well.

If I require assistance throughout the day, I can ask my patron god for assistance. During the days of observance, I perfom two extra rituals. On other special days of my path, I pay respects and give an offering to both my patron god & Hecate.

During the New Moon, Full Moon & Blue Moons I perform rituals.

Basically my patron god & Hecate are there for me, if I ever need them. Generally speaking they just linger in the background, letting me get on with things. If there is something I should be made aware of they tell me. They guide me in my everyday life.

Hope that answers your question Jeff :)
Thank you for the information.

Do you ever receive "energetic transmissions" from them? Help with healing?

Ever experience union (or merging) with them?

Thanks again.

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Buddhism (Dharma) is, to a very great extent, the study of human motivation.
So, if you want to explore ways of applying it to your path,
you might wan to examine your motivation for having what you refer to as a "patron".
EMPTIFUL.

Return to “Lounge”