Any1 practising Cundi mantra here?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
wizardlow

Any1 practising Cundi mantra here?

Post by wizardlow »

Cundi mantra is a well known mantra in chinese community.... but rarely appear in Tibet and Nepal..just wan to know, any1 here practising it?

Regard..

Namo Amitabha Buddhaya
Namo Aryavalokitesvaraya Bodhisattva
Namo Sapta Koti Cundi Bhagavati
Bodhi

Re: Any1 practising Cundi mantra here?

Post by Bodhi »

I did chant Cundi Bodhisattva mantra but not very often nor do I see many people do from my experience only of course. Maybe Cundi Bodhisattva doesn't have asa much affinity with saha world as other great bodhisattvas.

Peace in Chan
Wherever you are, that is where the mind should be. Always be mindful, and be your own master. This is true freedom. - Grand Master Wei Chueh
remm

Post by remm »

Cundi Bodhisattva is one of the manifestations of Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva who a long side with Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva have the most affinities with living beings.

Also note that most Ch`an monasteries recite her mantra every morning after the Shurangama Mantra for her mantra is included in "The Ten Small Mantras" section right after the shurangama mantra.

On a side note my grandfather recites her mantra everyday 108 times for years now and has achieved great benefits from it. There is also an esoteric side to her mantra which I wont get into too much detail besides the fact that it's extremely powerful for healing the sick.
Devotee

Post by Devotee »

Bodhi wrote:I did chant Cundi Bodhisattva mantra but not very often nor do I see many people do from my experience only of course. Maybe Cundi Bodhisattva doesn't have asa much affinity with saha world as other great bodhisattvas.

Peace in Chan
Bodhi, are you by any chance a disciple of Chung Tai Chan? Because your profile pic is a clue :p

The Chan nuns at our local Chung Tai branch recite the Cundi Mantra everyday, and they advise me to do so as well. It's very useful in pacifying/correcting obstacles.

You may not always experience the "magical" effects listed in the Cundi Mantra Sutra, but I still know it to be very effective.
Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

Devotee wrote:
Bodhi wrote:I did chant Cundi Bodhisattva mantra but not very often nor do I see many people do from my experience only of course. Maybe Cundi Bodhisattva doesn't have asa much affinity with saha world as other great bodhisattvas.

Peace in Chan
Bodhi, are you by any chance a disciple of Chung Tai Chan? Because your profile pic is a clue :p

The Chan nuns at our local Chung Tai branch recite the Cundi Mantra everyday, and they advise me to do so as well. It's very useful in pacifying/correcting obstacles.

You may not always experience the "magical" effects listed in the Cundi Mantra Sutra, but I still know it to be very effective.
:D yes I am, which affiliate are you attending? I usually attend Chung Tai for meditation classes only. I had been in several ceremony services and I don't believe we chant the cundi mantra, atleast to what I know. Since most of the chanting are done in Chinese, and I really do not understand chinese because I chant in vietnamese so therefore I am not sure.

I know they often have chanting ceremony on Sunday mainly to chant the Medicine Buddha sutra and mantra.

But I had been in a daily evening chanting by Shifu and I believe all she chant was the the Great Compassion Mantra, several different praises including the praise to the Sangharama, I'm pretty sure there is Heart Sutra, recitation of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, the offering outside, refuge in triple jewels and then dedication. But there might be more that I might have not notice.

I think you are right, I have no doubt for the Cundi mantra.

Peace in Chan
Wherever you are, that is where the mind should be. Always be mindful, and be your own master. This is true freedom. - Grand Master Wei Chueh
Devotee

Post by Devotee »

Woohoo! Chung Tai! Hahahaha.... Seriously, you're the first Chung Tai Dharma-brother that I've seen in a forum :p

I'm attending the branch in Manila. :-)

They chant the Cundi Mantra everyday for their evening recitation, at 4 pm. Usually, they chant the Diamond Sutra, the Great Compassion Mantra, and then the Cundi Mantra, in that sequence. Then, they have a one-hour dinner break, then recite the Medicine Buddha sutra. (This is their daily routine.)

Hmmm, I guess the Shifus have the liberty to change or to add what practices they might need? Maybe our Shifus here in Manila have a particular affinity with the Cundi practice.

I've been to the Taoyuan (Taiwan) branch, and their afternoon recitations are different: just the Diamond Sutra followed by the Medicine Buddha Sutra.
Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

Devotee wrote:Woohoo! Chung Tai! Hahahaha.... Seriously, you're the first Chung Tai Dharma-brother that I've seen in a forum :p

I'm attending the branch in Manila. :-)

They chant the Cundi Mantra everyday for their evening recitation, at 4 pm. Usually, they chant the Diamond Sutra, the Great Compassion Mantra, and then the Cundi Mantra, in that sequence. Then, they have a one-hour dinner break, then recite the Medicine Buddha sutra. (This is their daily routine.)

Hmmm, I guess the Shifus have the liberty to change or to add what practices they might need? Maybe our Shifus here in Manila have a particular affinity with the Cundi practice.

I've been to the Taoyuan (Taiwan) branch, and their afternoon recitations are different: just the Diamond Sutra followed by the Medicine Buddha Sutra.

YUP! It is really nice knowing a Dharma brother who is also attending Chung Tai because I don't seem to know anyone who is the disciple at Chung Tai online at all so you will be the first too! :]

so you are attending Ocean Sky Chan Monastery in Manila? How is it? I attend Buddha Mind Monastery in Oklahoma :]

And I think you might be right that each shifu can change up or adding practices if necessary, because I think I might had remember Shifu said that each Abbess/Abbot of each affiliate of Chung Tai have different ways of doing things. Like Even classes and events are different. At Buddha Mind, there is actually Chinese Madarine Class taught by Shifu! And we even have many different classes and events that other affiliate doesn't, while other affiliate have events and classes we don't. :] So I think you might be right. Maybe Shifus at your place have more affinity with Cundi Bodhisattva Mantra :].

Do you also attend meditation classes?

Peace in Chan
Devotee

Post by Devotee »

Cool! I've been a volunteer for 5 years now. Most English translations that we use come from Buddha Gate and/or Buddha Mind, and also a few files from Ven. Huifeng of FGS. I volunteer as an acolyte, and occasionally, a cook. :P

The Shifus here are also very busy, we used to have a Chinese Mandarin class too, but it stopped bec there were too many students who showed up... The small room couldn't manage to hold everyone :p

The Shifus here are very big on kids, though. They hold regular summer camps for kids, and Sunday school too :p

(I know, we're going off topic :p)

So... going back to Cundi, well, her mantra was mentioned in Liao Fan's Four Lessons, as an aid to Chan meditation. It seems that it's one of the few mantras that are frequently used in Chan.

Could anyone clarify?
Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

Most of the translation came from Buddha Gate including some of the Chan magazine I think :] because it isnt Buddha Mind.

It is nice to know that Ocean Sky Monastery is very active :]

I am not sure, I will ask the Shifu tomorrow about cundi Mantra, it could be that I haven't been in alot of chanting ceremony. I usually attend for meditation and all we really chant was the Heart Sutra because it expresses the essence of Chan, then just dedication and refuge.

Peace In Chan
Last edited by Bodhi on Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
muni

Post by muni »

:namaste: I humbly rejoice.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

I have used it off on on - but that is not the fault of this excellent mantra - just my feeble practice.

Here is the mantra & sutra: http://www.sutrasmantras.info/sutra02.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a site dedicated to Cundi Mantra: http://cundimantra.weebly.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”