Protect the Sable Island Seals.

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
muni

Protect the Sable Island Seals.

Post by muni »

Stop the Sable Island Seal Slaughter
Target: Gail Shea, Canadian Federal Fisheries Minister
Sponsored by: International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW)

A recent proposal prepared for the Government of Canada would see 220,000 grey seals killed and incinerated in their protected Sable Island nursery.

The proposal reads like a horror novel:
-- Hunters would storm the beaches at dawn and begin slaughtering baby seals by shooting them in the head with prohibited silencer-equipped rifles
-- The slaughtered seals would then be grabbed by a loader machine specially modified to carry the carcasses.
-- They'd be loaded onto dump trucks to be transported to portable incinerators where they'd be burned.
-- Each truck would be filled in 10 minutes, and would run 24/7 and for 25 days straight.

To reach the proposed number of 220,000 seals, the cull and disposal program would run at birthing time each year for about five years and cost Canadian taxpayers an estimated $35 million.

Please urge the Canadian government to categorically reject this outrageous proposal.

Sign our petition today to ensure that Sable Island's grey seal population is spared this sickening slaughter, and that the island remains a protected habitat for seals.

http://www.care2.com/go/z/e/AFY_s/zk68/bgm0v" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BFS

Re: Protect the Sable Island Seals.

Post by BFS »

Done
Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

Poor creatures.
Signed
Wherever you are, that is where the mind should be. Always be mindful, and be your own master. This is true freedom. - Grand Master Wei Chueh
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

HI muni

AS usual you humble me with your compassion and acts of compassion.
I remain your servant.
It is quite a pleasure for this consciousness to present in its present form when yours does as well in its present form.
A cold breeze on a windswept windy night in autumn it is....quite refreshing.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Done.

And the purpose of this "culling" is to reduce the seal population because fishers have claimed that seals are reducing the cod population. However until now I have only heard of overfishing as the primary reason that cod stocks have declined.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
muni

Post by muni »

ronnewmexico wrote:HI muni

AS usual you humble me with your compassion and acts of compassion.
I remain your servant.
It is quite a pleasure for this consciousness to present in its present form when yours does as well in its present form.
A cold breeze on a windswept windy night in autumn it is....quite refreshing.

There are those who paint the Buddha's meaning by words colored through painful afflictions.

And then fortunate ones, having pure karmic propensities, naturally appreciating protection and simple ones.

I bow down.

For these petitions to protect many beings is internet great! Easier to make it possible to help.

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”