The Gokito Ritual

ananda

The Gokito Ritual

Post by ananda »

I once came upon a video on YouTube depicting monks (Is that the appropriate term ?) of the Nichiren Shu school doing a ritual blessing called "Gokito". I later learned that before this blessing is dispensed on the laity the monks undergo strenuous training called "Dai Aragyo" to purify themselves and prepare them to learn how the ritual is done. Does Nichiren Shoshu's rituals include the gokito ceremony or is it something that only Nichiren Shu practices ?
Does the Kempon Hokke school also practice the ritual ?
And my biggest question what does it mean ?
The clicking of those instruments they have in their hands and the motion they click them in; what does it symbolize and what are the instruments called ?
What is the religious ornament hung around the priests neck ? What does it symbolize ?
Sorry if I ask too many questions but I'm really curious and want to learn

The videos that I referred to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-MI4JRABTA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4LTbQ0HBus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmssBzTj ... ure=relmfu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
rory

Re: The Gokito Ritual

Post by rory »

Dear Ananda;
We at Kempon Hokke never do any of those theatrical shows you mentioned.

This practice is not for overcoming health problems, getting money or any other type of wish-fulfillment. As a result of correct practice these things may or may not be experienced by a practitioner, but this is very dependent on individual karma. To try to attribute these type of mundane occurrences to our practice is rather lame. if one were enlightened then the individual would know, but since we aren't, how are we supposed to determine such things?
gassho
rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
ananda

Post by ananda »

rory wrote:Dear Ananda;
We at Kempon Hokke never do any of those theatrical shows you mentioned.

This practice is not for overcoming health problems, getting money or any other type of wish-fulfillment. As a result of correct practice these things may or may not be experienced by a practitioner, but this is very dependent on individual karma. To try to attribute these type of mundane occurrences to our practice is rather lame. if one were enlightened then the individual would know, but since we aren't, how are we supposed to determine such things?
gassho
rory
Thank you for providing me with the perspective of your school. I can agree with you that spiritual practices are meant for overcoming suffering and reaching enlightenment.
If there are any Nichiren Shu members of Nichiren Shoshu members that happen across this thread I would like your explanation of this ceremony. The meaning of the gestures and the instruments used.
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
ananda

Post by ananda »

Correction:
Thank you for providing me with the perspective of your school. I can agree with you that spiritual practices are meant for overcoming suffering and reaching enlightenment.
If there are any Nichiren Shu members or Nichiren Shoshu members that happen across this thread I would like your explanation of this ceremony. The meaning of the gestures and the instruments used.[/quote]
noisemonkey

Post by noisemonkey »

hi. I've never seen this sort of ritual in Nichiren Shoshu, in terms of exorcism we don't need to as we can request a Toba for a deceased person or chant for their happiness and future enlightenment.

Return to “Nichiren”