Japanese Mantra for Overcoming Obstacles?

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
ylee111

Japanese Mantra for Overcoming Obstacles?

Post by ylee111 »

Folks, I am having difficulties while meditating. So I was thinking of repeating a mantra during meditation. However, I don't know much about them. Does anyone know of a short Japanese mantra (maybe of 6 syllables or so), which does not require transmission from a teacher (as I do not have one yet), that helps the overcoming of obstacles in one's path? Thanks in advance.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Japanese Mantra for Overcoming Obstacles?

Post by Queequeg »

Technically not a mantra, but chanted like a mantra:

NamMyoHoRenGeKyo - 6 beats/syllables

Works for me. Results may vary.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
ylee111

Post by ylee111 »

Not to derail my own thread, but I always thought "Nam(u) Myoho Renge Kyo" was in fact a mantra praising the power of the Lotus Sutra.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Mantras in the Japanese traditions are usually only practised by the ordained unless you've been given them under guidance by your teacher. There are, however a few that I believe the Shingon Shu deem ok for lay people, but why only use Japanese mantras? Om mani padme hum is a great mantra :smile:

I'm not aux fait with Shingon but I'm sure someone will be able to answer your question soon.

Gassho,
Seishin.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

ylee111 wrote:Folks, I am having difficulties while meditating.
What kind of difficulties are you having? (eg lots of active energy, or falling asleep, or distractions, or...?)
ylee111

Post by ylee111 »

I mostly have distractions but there are times I get sleepy.

I have chosen Japanese mantras mostly because of my affinity towards Chinese and Japanese culture. Sanskrit mantras are fine with me but I will usually interpret Kannon or Kuan Yin instead of Avalokitesvara (sp?).
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

I don't blame you, I prefer Japanese over sanskrit any day ;)
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

ylee111 wrote:a mantra praising the power of the Lotus Sutra.
Not a mantra. It is a subjective expression of devotion/veneration/worship of the Lotus Sutra: Namu (an expression of devotion derived from Sanskrit) appended to the Chinese title of the Lotus Sutra as translated by Kumarajiva, as read in Japanese. By reciting the title (Daimoku) of the Lotus Sutra (MyoHoRenGeKyo), one is reciting the entire Lotus Sutra. This is because the entire meaning is contained in the title. This is Nichiren's explanation based on Zhiyi's Fa Hua Hsuan-i (Profound Meaning of the Lotus Sutra) which explains that the entire meaning of the Lotus Sutra is contained in its title. Chanting the Daimoku is actually Sutra recitation, not mantra recitation. Adding Namu becomes the personal practice of the Lotus Sutra.

This should not be in a general thread. If you want to continue this line of discussion, please ask a question in the Nichren forum.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

ylee111 wrote:I mostly have distractions but there are times I get sleepy.
Try counting breaths during meditation. When you get to ten exhalations, start over at one.
ylee111

Post by ylee111 »

http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/k ... tenbu.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are the mantra on this page accurate? If so, are the esoteric ones inappropriate for laymen who do not receive transmission directly from teachers?
lobster

Post by lobster »

This is a Shingon mantra, which I am empowered to pass on.
Starting at the base:

Namu, Daishi, Kongo, Renghe, Hum

When you have a strip of coloured shapes
place them in front of you.
Sit and breath comfortably
Now we can use each coloured shape
as a focus.
Bring relaxed attention to the yellow
square and bring the awareness to the body.
Then bring attentive awareness to the blue circle
become aware of any emotional arisings.
Then attentive to the red triangle
become aware of any issues to do with identity.
Then attentive to the white crescent
bring the attention to the mind.
On the Gold now finally contemplate
any understanding of Spirit you may have.

It is a good idea to keep a journal
of what happens.
This is a very transformative meditation
excellent for overcoming obstacles.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

lobster wrote:This is a Shingon mantra, which I am empowered to pass on.
Now I'm curious. Care to elaborate?
infinitywaltz

Post by infinitywaltz »

I'm quite surprised no one has mentioned the mantra of Fudo Myo-O yet. Fudo Myo-o (or Acala Vidyaraja) is one of the wisdom kings, and chanting his mantra is a major part of Shingon practice, including by lay practitioners (in other words, you don't need a specific empowerment to chant this one). The mantra is a bit long: "Nomaku sanmanda bazaradan senda makaroshada sowataya un tarata kan man," but once you get the rhythm of it, it's pretty easy. The way we usually chant it is a bit like so:

NOmaku sanMANda
BAzaradan SENda
MAkaroSHAda
SOwataya UN
TAraTA KAN MAN.

More information on Fudo Myo-o here: http://www.shingon.org/deities/jusanbutsu/fudo.html

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”