Dzogchen Community Secondary Practices

DGA
Former staff member

Dzogchen Community Secondary Practices

Post by DGA »

Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche transmits a number of secondary practices each retreat; each of these has a particular function. Rather than muddying up the current DC omnibus thread, here's one on secondary practices and their particular function.

I'd like to know what the fruit of the Vajrapani practice is, for starters. How does it help, and what does it help?
treehuggingoctopus

Re: Dzogchen Community Secondary Practices

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

A very good thread idea. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
underthetree

Post by underthetree »

I'd like to know who out there is doing the Chod practice. I'm looking forward to Rinpoche's upcoming teachings on this, but I don't know much about his tradition.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

I would like to know about Night practice, is there a lung for this or are the directions Rinpoche gives considered an oral transmission?
thanks
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Jikan wrote:Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche transmits a number of secondary practices each retreat; each of these has a particular function. Rather than muddying up the current DC omnibus thread, here's one on secondary practices and their particular function.

I'd like to know what the fruit of the Vajrapani practice is, for starters. How does it help, and what does it help?
:namaste: curious Jikan.

Homage to the Dzogchen Masters!

The fruit of Vajrapani practice is that though this practice (as with any transformation / absorption practice using a wrathful deity) you can transform the heavy emotion of anger into wisdom. This is discussed, by ChNNR, on pages 8 and 9 of the first edition of the very precious little practice book, "The 21 Semzin of Dzog-chen Upadesa. This is one of the restricted books for which you have to have transmission of the natural state, before being able to order. I could not find the book on the US, or Italian SSI site.

From the UK SSI site.

http://ssits.org/v1/index.php?page=shop ... &Itemid=44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 21 Semdzins of the Upadesha series of Dzogchen Teachings are one of the main practices for obtaining a precise understanding of the state of contemplation in non-dual presence of Rigpa. The great Dzogchen master Longchenpa gave a detailed explanation of the 21 Semdzins in the Theg mchod mdzod. It was on the basis of this text that Chögyal Namkhai Norbu taught and gave a commentary on the Semdzins during the retreat held at Merigar West over Easter 1989.

In order to be able to receive this book one must have received the transmission of the Master.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The SSI Austria site:

http://www.ssi-austria.at/shop/shopframee.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vajrapani was one of the transformation practices that I first learned in a most precious Yeshe Lama retreat in 1980.

This semzin is taught in the first edition of the SSI publication on page 37 and 38.
The visualization can be used in the third Semzin of the first series of 7: "Longchenpa's text: The semzin of the "laughter of the wrathful and joyous manifestations"."

The purpose of the semzin is to allow a state of natural clarity without thought to arise.

Please (anyone) feel free to ask further questions about the secondary practices. Please old-timers feel free to jump in if I leave something out or get something wrong.

For myself, I think it is really important to have a large collection of secondary practices to draw from as circumstances permit. Then my practice stays alive. :smile:

Best,

ob

PS "The Sadhana Practice of Wrathful Deities in Tibetan Buddhist Tantra,"' is a truly excellent book by Lama Vajranatha (one of the earlier students of ChNNR).

http://vajranatha.com/books/wrathful-deities.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by oldbob on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

underthetree wrote:I'd like to know who out there is doing the Chod practice. I'm looking forward to Rinpoche's upcoming teachings on this, but I don't know much about his tradition.
:namaste: curious underthetree.

I first learned the Chod practice from the Kazi's in NYC in 1970 or so. I learned the ChNNR Chod in 1984.

ChNNR's Chod tradition is discussed in the SSI book "Chod".

http://ssits.org/v1/index.php?page=shop ... &Itemid=44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=349" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is also a DVD.

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are several other Chod presentations in print and on CD from SSI that you may search for.

Remember to search the USA, UK, Austrian and SSI International sites to find everything.

Our tradition includes the Laughter of the Dakini, gongter, Chod of the Master Jigmed Lingpa, and a Guru Yoga linked to Machig Labdron.

In the DC there are many accomplished Chodpas and Chodmas. Lama Tsultrim Alione, Costantino Albini, and Nina Robinson stand out as exceptional teachers of Chod.

I am sure there are many other excellent teachers, too.

It is very impressive to be in the middle of several hundred of the DC practicing together.

I highly recommend Chod practice for overcoming attachment to hope and fear (and everything else too). :smile:

Best, ob
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Lhasa wrote:I would like to know about Night practice, is there a lung for this or are the directions Rinpoche gives considered an oral transmission?
thanks
:namaste:

Hi Lhasa,

No specific lung that I am aware of, but there may be texts that he might read from which could then be called a lung. Anything that ChNNR says is an oral transmission from a Dzogchen Master.

Search Amazon, and the 4 SSI sites, under "Dream Yoga" and "Practice of the Night" and "Mi-Lam, The Dream Practice."

"Mi-Lam" is a transcription of the dream practice transmission from the retreat of Subiaco in 1976. Highly recommended. I think you might be able to get this from the Austria SSI if you write to them.

Sweet dreams, :smile:

ob
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Thanks Oldbob!
underthetree

Post by underthetree »

Cheers, OldBob! That's marvelous!
pawel

Post by pawel »

oldbob wrote:
Lhasa wrote:I would like to know about Night practice, is there a lung for this or are the directions Rinpoche gives considered an oral transmission?
thanks
:namaste:

Hi Lhasa,

No specific lung that I am aware of, but there may be texts that he might read from which could then be called a lung. Anything that ChNNR says is an oral transmission from a Dzogchen Master.

Search Amazon, and the 4 SSI sites, under "Dream Yoga" and "Practice of the Night" and "Mi-Lam, The Dream Practice."

"Mi-Lam" is a transcription of the dream practice transmission from the retreat of Subiaco in 1976. Highly recommended. I think you might be able to get this from the Austria SSI if you write to them.

Sweet dreams, :smile:

ob
Hi!
Yes, there is this small book on the dream practice, but according to how Rinpoche always explains, the night practice is related to Guruyoga: one does the principal Ati Guruyoga and does the night practice this way. Thus it is, of course, not a secondary practice but the main practice, as one is dealing with being in the state of Guruyoga.
Also there is more explanation about hot to proceed if one finds particular difficulties, usually Rinpoche explains this things on the last day but it is not a rule (sometimes the explanation is given in the middle of the retreats).
Sweet dreams and best of rest and relax :)
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

question on Guru Yoga of white AH, described & performed in this CD:

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=296" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

where might one find the text for this practice? thanks
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Jikan wrote:question on Guru Yoga of white AH, described & performed in this CD:

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=296" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

where might one find the text for this practice? thanks
http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=539

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

It's also in the Shitro and Yangti book.
Russell

Post by Russell »

There is also two texts for the anniversary of Garab Dorje, available free to download from the webcast site, http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This part:
Guruyoga Practice and explanation:
Download the practice - Download the explanation
pawel

Post by pawel »

And it's also in the book of DC collective practices http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=247" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I've been advised to learn some practices for increasing energy, and for dispelling negativities. Any advice on this will be warmly welcomed. Thank you.
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

Jikan wrote:I've been advised to learn some practices for increasing energy, and for dispelling negativities. Any advice on this will be warmly welcomed. Thank you.
All practices work in many different levels and also towards the supreme siddhi, which is total realization.
That means whichever practice you choose to do is perfect.
Especially for increasing energy: purification of the 5 elements, Green and White Tara, Mandarava, Yantra Yoga.
For dispelling negativities: Guru Tragphur, Sinhamukha, Sang Offering, Guardians through any Tun or Ganapuja.
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Thanks for the guidance, Dronma!
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Anyone have a list of the secondary practices?

ob
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

oldbob wrote:Anyone have a list of the secondary practices?

ob
All non primary practice (Guru Yoga) is a secondary practice ... should we order secondary practices ?

Serge
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -

Return to “Dzogchen”