Cult Leaders

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
plwk

Cult Leaders

Post by plwk »

phpBB [video]
Yudron

Re: Cult Leaders

Post by Yudron »

PLWK, you've just started two threads, one about "Teachers who give Tibetan Buddhism a Bad Name," and one about "Cult Leaders." Are you trying to send a message?
plwk

Post by plwk »

Is there anything you can contribute to this thread, related to the video? Thank you
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

I listened to the entire video from beginning to end, and could find nothing that related to my experience with lamas of Tibetan Buddhism. While one can make a case that any religion is a cult based on the typical qualities of a cult one can find on the Web, such as members being given new names, wearing a religious uniform, and so forth... these cases of mass-murdering sociopaths seem too extreme to be able to relate to. There have been a few figures in the history of Tibetan Buddhism who inspired their followers to wage war on other sects (e.g. Pabonka), but it doesn't have the same flavor as these cult leaders.

How about you?
plwk

Post by plwk »

It adds on to my experience of life, educating myself on yet another perspective of the dynamics of the human mind in general and myself in particular as well as how it manifests and affects in secular and religious environments...
ball-of-string

Post by ball-of-string »

The video focuses on the "most evil" cults, and I don't argue the existence of such organizations. But more commonly I encounter another kind of cult, the kind that overtly promotes peace and "happiness", but covertly are using highly advanced psychological manipulation to ensure rabid loyalty and large monetary donations. I've been a member of one group like that, and I watch in dismay as some of my friends are loyal members of another of those groups. By focussing on the most extreme examples of cults, I think it is easy for brainwashing groups to go unrecognized for what they are.

[Note: not wanting to be "guilty by association", I don't know anything about the interjected topic of Tibetan groups, and my comments are not related to that.]
ball-of-string

Post by ball-of-string »

PS- about three weeks ago I heard an interview about cults infiltrating businesses and corporations, marketing "team building" and "communications" workshops to major Fortune 500 companies. I was not able to listen to this interview at the time, but hoped to find it on the website later. The interview was on OPB (Oregon Public Broadcasting), and I am certain it was in cindication from NPR (Nation Public Radio), but when I search for key words at both of those sites I can't find the story. Anyone know where I can find this?

Return to “Lounge”