Hurricane Sandy: Message from Lama Tharchin Rinpoche

Requesting and offering prayers and aspirations for those in need.
dakini_boi

Hurricane Sandy: Message from Lama Tharchin Rinpoche

Post by dakini_boi »

In Rinpoche’s words:

“We are truly taking Hurricane Sandy seriously at Pema Osel Ling and I am requesting everyone to pray with us.
If we all make the same prayers together, wherever we are, then they will have more power.
Please do the following practices whenever you can during this time ---

Sa Chu Me Lung
Green Tara
Seven Line Prayer
Vajra Guru Mantra

Please make these prayers for the weather elements’ problems."

The prayers have also been posted on the website’s homepage (http://www.vajrayana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) for easy access.
Yudron

Re: Hurricane Sandy: Message from Lama Tharchin Rinpoche

Post by Yudron »

dakini_boi wrote:In Rinpoche’s words:

“We are truly taking Hurricane Sandy seriously at Pema Osel Ling and I am requesting everyone to pray with us.
If we all make the same prayers together, wherever we are, then they will have more power.
Please do the following practices whenever you can during this time ---

Sa Chu Me Lung
Green Tara
Seven Line Prayer
Vajra Guru Mantra

Please make these prayers for the weather elements’ problems."

The prayers have also been posted on the website’s homepage (http://www.vajrayana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) for easy access.
Today [Tuesday] Rinpoche followed up by saying:

"We are all thinking of and praying for the people, animals and environment on the East Coast that have been harmed by Hurricane Sandy. I have great appreciation for everyone stepping in to help, for their loving intention and efforts and bodhisattva activity towards those beings who are suffering and need help. Buddha's teachings of wisdom and compassion guide us to benefit other beings as the source of our own and others' true happiness that will last forever. We can offer our strong prayers of aspiration to relieve beings' suffering, and can also make offerings of our time and help or material offerings of any amount. For instance, the Red Cross is doing a wonderful job of helping and can use our support. When we contribute to other people helping those in need, whatever the size, we do it along with our prayers and dedication of merit and rejoicing for the merit of those who are helping. In this way it is like putting our own little drop of water in the vast ocean. Until the ocean itself is exhausted, that little drop will never dry up. In this way, we add to the positive actions of others, increasing our own merit forever, until all beings are liberated into the state of ultimate enlightenment." - Lama Tharchin Rinpoche
Anandavajri

Post by Anandavajri »

May we all respond to these requests and send metta/Maitri to all who are suffering and also to all who are helping out on the East coast.
Thrasymachus

Post by Thrasymachus »

The time for prayers is over.

I live in Northern New Jersey about 1 hour by car from NYC. I had several days of blackout from Hurricane Sandy. What needs to happen is people need to change their ways, not feel good by praying and do the same old. In the 30 years I have lived in this area, I have never noticed as many adverse weather events likely created by human activity due to global climate change as in the last 18 months. Too many people depend on complex technologies, public utilities to live and we need to transition to simpler solutions or eventually a big enough collapse will occur that will cause millions of heedless deaths. I live in the suburbs and for a time it took people five hours to get gasoline from the few gas stations that sill had power. The police were micro-managing every open gas station to direct traffic and prevent conflicts! This was just a category 1 hurricane, if it was category 2, things would have been much worse, maybe leading to total infrastructure collapse and thousands of deaths from the cold, violence and starvation. Alot of supermarkets had no power and threw out all their refrigerated and frozen stock.

People assume these complex systems will be there, and that will not be the case in the future as the ocean and atmospheric temperature rises and causes more adverse weather events. Praying is a distraction from what needs to be done, something that allows you to feel good without effort. Today/Wednesday and into Thursday we are gonna be battered by another Northeaster.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Both needed.

Return to “Prayers and Aspirations”