Differencies about the theravab and the mayahanabu in person

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
villkorkarma

Differencies about the theravab and the mayahanabu in person

Post by villkorkarma »

What is the difference beetween the two practioners as a theravadabuddhist and a mayahanabuddhist in personality (behaviour, thinking)
villkorkarma

What makes one a mayahanabuddhist and not a thereavadabuddhi

Post by villkorkarma »

What makes one a mayahanabuddhist and not a thereavadabuddhist?
whats the difference in behaviour and thinking?
catmoon
Former staff member

Re: Differencies about the theravab and the mayahanabu in person

Post by catmoon »

Theravada works more from the earlier sutras and so does not refer to the the larger Mahayana "pantheon".

Mind you I'm hardly an expert on the topic.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Re: What makes one a mayahanabuddhist and not a thereavadabuddhi

Post by Admin_PC »

villkorkarma wrote:What makes one a mayahanabuddhist and not a thereavadabuddhist?
whats the difference in behaviour and thinking?
I think that depends on the Theravadan Buddhist(s) and the Mahayanan Buddhist(s) in question.
Catmoon's right in the difference being mostly doctrine (sutras) and the cast of characters each looks up to.
There are Theravadans who embrace the Boddhisattva ideal and there are Mahayanists that want nothing more than to renounce the world and eliminate their own suffering.
viniketa

Post by viniketa »

More on the same topic:

http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 82&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 50&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 68&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:namaste:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

Now I realize what my questions was. So here it is: What change the laws about the steadly reincarnation for the mayhanapractioner and the theravadapractioner that doesnt beeing reborn? Is it enought to take some wows?
joda

Post by joda »

Now I realize what my questions was. So here it is: What change the laws about the steadly reincarnation for the mayhanapractioner and the theravadapractioner that doesnt beeing reborn? Is it enought to take some wows?
You are asking why the Bodhisattvas can be reborn over and over again?
This is one of the questions stated in the Abhidharmasamuccaya and it answers as follows ->

Why does a bodhisatva who has entered into the commitment of a bodhisattva not become a stream-enterer?
Because the stream is imperfect with regard to practice of the Path.
Having attained the Truths by clear understanding, the bodhisattva cultivates the path counteracting the obstacles to the knowables by means of the ten-stage Path of cultivation; but he does not cultivate the path counteracting the obstacles of the defilements.

Usually Mahayana practicioners will also tell you that you have to resolve to Bodhicitta (which is a kind of vow) and that this Bodhicitta somehow will become a part of your mindstream. I have not read any text detailing / explaining this tho as far as I can remember nor can I tell you when this concept was first introduced in the history of Buddhist thought.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

villkorkarma wrote:Now I realize what my questions was. So here it is: What change the laws about the steadly reincarnation for the mayhanapractioner and the theravadapractioner that doesnt beeing reborn? Is it enought to take some wows?
That is easily tested. Go take some vows and report back to us if you suddenly become a Buddha.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

How is a bodhisattva feeling every life?
Is it like that that everyone will be a bodhisattva?
(dalai lama said that in the mahayanwiew right enlightenment is when it is for everyone just not for oneself)
floating_abu

Post by floating_abu »

If you are interested in Buddhism pick a practice and practice it.

The theoretical differences will fall by the wayside IF you choose to practice.

Well wishes
Abu
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

My mistake, iI wrote wrong, dalai lama said: its important to help other people. according to my own way It isnt right to not be helpfull to other beings
book is called my way to sucess.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”