hi ya'll from SF

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Myogen

hi ya'll from SF

Post by Myogen »

Hello,

I poke around Dharma Wheel sometimes, interesting to articles and issues that are of concern to other traditions and practices. Reminds me of the limits of my own SF bubble and how much vast the dharma world is than what I've known.

Predominately my study has been through Gelugpa (via the FPMT) and Tendai (via Mt.Cobb). My practice over about 16 years has mostly just been plodding slowly through various ups and down of life with 'Bodhisattva's way of life', the Lam Rim and the Lotus Sutra as my references and inspiration.

My secular background is that I am a master's degree seeking student in 'Traditional Chinese Medicine' and Qi Gong.

I am very interested in healthcare/health practices as a method of self-cultivation and using the experience of illness/health as a way to transform our mind and open our hearts.

gassho,
lance
gasshō, myōgen
~Homage to the most compassionate, most kind Bodhisattva Mahasattva Ksitigarbha of the Six Paths of Rebirth~
lowlydog

Re: hi ya'll from SF

Post by lowlydog »

Welcome coldwater :hi:
Sara H

Post by Sara H »

Hello, Welcome!

I hope you find the place warm, and enjoy your stay!

*smiles warmly*

In Gassho,

Sara H
Observing your mind is a good idea.
lobster

Post by lobster »

:twothumbsup: Stay well.
I like doing Qi-ong. Mostly been doing yoga of late. Probably will do more qi-ong when older. Wonderful system. :namaste:
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Hi Coldwater. I'm from across the Bay. I've taken classes at Tse Chen Ling, but I'm a Nyingma girl at heart. Thank you for practicing for all sentient beings!
floating_abu

Post by floating_abu »

Welcome Lance, you forgot to inform the audience about your association with Mondo, but I guess they can see your posts for that.

Best wishes,
Abu
Myogen

Post by Myogen »

Hello,

Thanks all!

Yudron- Tse Chen Ling is where I first began, when they were located in Glen Park. Then they moved into that Victorian and now I don't know. Impermanence at work! One of the yoga teacher's at my work was a resident at the Nyingma Institute (I believe it was called?) for some years. Never been there but I don't make it out to the east bay much really. Did you participate in that Dharmapalooza (or was it is Sanghapalooza) event in the East Bay? I just heard about after but it sounded interesting.

Lobster-Qi-ong is basically Chinese cooked yoga! Or maybe yoga is Indian cooked Qi-ong...? but I think there was a lot of recipe sharing throughout Asia via pilgrims, traders and the silk road trades. Wasn't there though, so I am just guessing. All breathing mindfully and gentle movement. Same same?

Abu- Yes, I do associate with people in Mondo. I also have practiced with at some point, associate with and have friends who are Hindus, Muslims, SGI, Kagyu, Soto, Rinzai, Hare Krishna, Scientologists, Jews, Sikhs, Cha'n, Jodo Shinshu, Baptists and Catholics.

-lance
gasshō, myōgen
~Homage to the most compassionate, most kind Bodhisattva Mahasattva Ksitigarbha of the Six Paths of Rebirth~
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

coldwater wrote:Hello,

Thanks all!

Yudron- Tse Chen Ling is where I first began, when they were located in Glen Park. Then they moved into that Victorian and now I don't know. Impermanence at work! One of the yoga teacher's at my work was a resident at the Nyingma Institute (I believe it was called?) for some years. Never been there but I don't make it out to the east bay much really. Did you participate in that Dharmapalooza (or was it is Sanghapalooza) event in the East Bay? I just heard about after but it sounded interesting.

-lance
I haven't heard about Dharmapalooza. I'll look it up. I've taken a couple of Tibetan language classes at the Nyingma institute, but I'm afraid it's not my scene.

Are you affiliated mainly with the Tendai at this point?
Myogen

Post by Myogen »

Hi Yudron,

It is called Sangha-palooza! I just looked it up...

I remembered...I went to Tsewong Sitar Rinpoche's ngondro talk recently. He is Nyingma from Bhutan, first Nyingma event I've been to. Much more lay and yogi focused than Gelugpa by contrast. It was interesting. Do you know of him? I guess I do get to the East Bay a little!

Yes my affiliation and practice is Tendai-Shugendo primarily. I do owe a lot to the FPMT though. Dharma organizations weren't my scene I discovered but the FPMT gave me a lot of support during my time with. Mostly my path has sorta been 2 steps forward 1 step back with some turns I suppose.

And if you are curious about Tendai at all... Keisho, the Tendai monk in Nothern California, is giving a dharma talk Sunday Dec.9th in SF. The topic is "Hinayana, Mahayana and Mantrayana" I could send you the info if you like.

-lance
gasshō, myōgen
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hi:
Welcome to Dharma Wheel!
waimengwan

Post by waimengwan »

Welcome!
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Hi, Welcome to Dharmawheel...
relay

Post by relay »

Welcome from New York, US.

peace,
relay
"We do not have to be ashamed of what we are. As sentient beings we have wonderful backgrounds. These backgrounds may not be particularly enlightened or peaceful or intelligent. Nevertheless, we have soil good enough to cultivate; we can plant anything in it.”
~Chögyam Trungpa

Return to “Introductions”