Tsongkhapa's Dharmaraja Prayer

Konchog1

Tsongkhapa's Dharmaraja Prayer

Post by Konchog1 »

Anyone know where I can find this prayer? It's in The Splendor of an Autumn Moon: The Devotional Verse of Tsongkhapa but I don't want to buy a whole book for one prayer.

It's the prayer that starts with "Homage to blessed Vajrabhairava"
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
JKhedrup

Re: Tsongkhapa's Dharmaraja Prayer

Post by JKhedrup »

If you have a Yamantaka empowerment you should register for vajrabhairava.org. I am not sure you will find the "Praise to the Inner Dharmaraja" there (which if my memory serves me is probably the prayer you are looking for), but you will find various practices associated with Kalarupa (aka Dharmaraja) on the site, as he is the main protector for Yamantaka practitioners.
You will need to send your teacher's name and when you received the initiation along with your registration info, but the website is free.

Praise to the Inner Dharmaraja may also be found in Bob Thurman's "Essential Tibetan Buddhism".

I also like this prayer very much. My teachers told me to recite it it is better to have a Yamantaka empowerment and also receive the lung (oral transmission) if one wants to make a regular practice of reciting it. Though, as we can see from the books mentioned above, it is widely available.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

JKhedrup wrote:If you have a Yamantaka empowerment you should register for vajrabhairava.org. I am not sure you will find the "Praise to the Inner Dharmaraja" there (which if my memory serves me is probably the prayer you are looking for), but you will find various practices associated with Kalarupa (aka Dharmaraja) on the site, as he is the main protector for Yamantaka practitioners.
You will need to send your teacher's name and when you received the initiation along with your registration info, but the website is free.
I have the Empowerment and have registered but haven't gotten confirmed. After a month I emailed them and got no response.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

I've been waiting since around September, still no response. However, I believe that the prayers should be available through FPMT's store. Somewhere in those protector prayer files somewhere. And yes, it is the Praise to Inner Dharmaraja.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

jmlee369 wrote:I've been waiting since around September, still no response. However, I believe that the prayers should be available through FPMT's store. Somewhere in those protector prayer files somewhere. And yes, it is the Praise to Inner Dharmaraja.
http://shop.fpmt.org/Protector-Prayers- ... _1380.html This one? Thank you very much. :smile:

JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Yes that is it. It is very good to try and get the lung (reading transmission) for this if you can. It is very short, could be given in under 3 minutes. It is more powerful with the lung.

There is also a jenang associated with Dharmaraja- in fact a series of three for Outer, Inner and Secret Dharmaraja. But in my experience these are rarely given. When one of my teachers was giving empowerments in Sera we tried to request the Outer Dharmaraja jenang as well but there was no time.

The 64 Offerings to Kalarupa is one of the most important protector practices in the Gelug tradition and is often sponsored by people who want to get rid of obstacles. It is a very rich and beautiful practice that can be done within the Yamantaka sadhana, in a simple way or with very elaborate, multiple tormas.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

JKhedrup wrote:Yes that is it. It is very good to try and get the lung (reading transmission) for this if you can. It is very short, could be given in under 3 minutes. It is more powerful with the lung.

There is also a jenang associated with Dharmaraja- in fact a series of three for Outer, Inner and Secret Dharmaraja. But in my experience these are rarely given. When one of my teachers was giving empowerments in Sera we tried to request the Outer Dharmaraja jenang as well but there was no time.

The 64 Offerings to Kalarupa is one of the most important protector practices in the Gelug tradition and is often sponsored by people who want to get rid of obstacles. It is a very rich and beautiful practice that can be done within the Yamantaka sadhana, in a simple way or with very elaborate, multiple tormas.
I'll ask about these at temple. Thank you.

jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

Khensur Lobsang Tsephel Rinpoche's primary protector is Palden Lhamo, and he bestows the jenang every so often, which I think is rather rare in my experience.
Tom

Post by Tom »

JKhedrup wrote: There is also a jenang associated with Dharmaraja- in fact a series of three for Outer, Inner and Secret Dharmaraja. But in my experience these are rarely given. When one of my teachers was giving empowerments in Sera we tried to request the Outer Dharmaraja jenang as well but there was no time.
H.H. Dalai Lama gave the Jenang for Dharmaraja not so long ago - maybe he will do so again soon.
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Oh I very much hope so, and that I can make it :namaste:
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

So looks like the FPMT copied The Splendor of an Autumn Moon: The Devotional Verse of Tsongkhapa version with permission. And it's not very good. Anyone have a better translation? Or the prayer in Tibetan for when I ask for transmission. Sorry.

Also, does anyone know where this is from?: http://v7.tsemtulku.com/resources/praye ... -kalarupa/

JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

It looks like the standard verse from the Kalarupa offering that you can find in some Yamantaka sadhanas.

There is no translator credited- that's a bit naughty, though I suppose maybe Rinpoche translated it himself?

Return to “Gelug”