Torma

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Dharmaswede

Re: Torma

Post by Dharmaswede »

Great thread, and absolutely wonderful pictures! Any suggestions on books on the topic?

Best Regards,

Jens
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I think a lot of confusion also arises because dudsti refer sometimes to the men and sometimes to water sanctified by the amritakundali mantra.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
dzinamitra

Post by dzinamitra »

Hello,

I have found your topic on torma and wanted to share you some of my work done alone for the 29th day of tibetan month in my home (medium mahakala puja). I have do some other style of torma in the Kagyu and Nyingma (Dudjom Tersar, Namcho, Chokling) tradition too.

In this fact I am actively searching a book called "Mindroling Torma", I anybody have it and or know how can I purchase it, I'm really interessted... Thank you.

Ngakpa Choying Dorje
Attachments
Torma done for Tsendring (medium mahakala bernagchen puja), ready to be arranged on the shrine
Torma done for Tsendring (medium mahakala bernagchen puja), ready to be arranged on the shrine
IMG_1264.JPG (210.79 KiB) Viewed 6315 times
Mahakala Bernagchen permanent Torma
Mahakala Bernagchen permanent Torma
IMG_1259-2.jpg (86.71 KiB) Viewed 6313 times
6 armed Mahakala permanent torma
6 armed Mahakala permanent torma
IMG_1253-2.jpg (210.29 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Good work, Dzinamitra! Do you do the Tsendring at your house regularly? That's pretty cool!
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Nice gotram! What's it for?
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

That gotram is on top of the Chagdrupa central torma, I think? Shangpa Mahakala.....

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
dzinamitra

Post by dzinamitra »

Hello,

Yes I try to do Tsendring regularly, but doing all this alone it's sometime hard because I must prepare all the tormas alone and I must concil with my professionnal activity. And then doing the puja alone too, because people in our sangha don't read/speak tibetan and I think there is no phonetic version of tsendring. I do sometime too the long puja of Mahakala chadrupa for this reason you have seen his permanent torma. And some 29th day I do the 2... Tsendring and the long Chadrugpa the same day. Sometime other puja like Dorje Drolod or other special practices.

And yes this is the Shangpa tradition of the 6 armed Mahakala torma. My master have made his formation since very young in Sonada and he did his 3 years retreat there too, he is Karma/Shangpa Kagyu, but he is too a Nyingma master receiving many teachings from his father who was a master, Dudjom Rinpoche, Khenpo Nyoshul Rinpoche and some other important master. For this reason I'm in these 2 "courants" Karma Kagyu and Dudjom Tersar :)

You can see all the torma aranged in the altar on this picture. And thank you for your encouragement :twothumbsup:

Ngakpa Choying Dorje
Attachments
Mahakala altar
Mahakala altar
IMG_1281.JPG (284.58 KiB) Viewed 6260 times
Altar for Mahakala
Altar for Mahakala
IMG_1282-2.jpg (227.79 KiB) Viewed 6253 times
Last edited by dzinamitra on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dzinamitra

Post by dzinamitra »

and I wanted to share you an intersting material for making tormas : petit beurre (see the picture).

In this biscuit you have : flour, butter, milk (the 3 white) and sugar. I crush them with a mixer making a flour and I put some water and/or the other 3 sweet and this a really pretty good materiel very easy to work for making tormas. 100% tastefull for the Tsoktor and in my country you can find these coockies in all supermarket very easilly. All my tormas you are seeing the last picture are made with this.

Best wishes.

Ngakpa Choying Dorje
Attachments
petit beurre
petit beurre
biscuits_petits_beurres.jpg (92.86 KiB) Viewed 6259 times
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Love the Crushed Biscuit method! Never heard of that, will try it sometime!

dzinamitra

Post by dzinamitra »

Yes try and tell me :) before I was making myself my own tsampa, this was long and lost of time without making other practice. And one day I have had this idea :smile: I showed at my master who approved my method enjoyed.

Like all things I do like making tormas I show at my master. All of my tormas works are 100% autodidact fortunately and unfortunately because sometime I think I can do more if an expert chopon showed me, but when I make a Lhator from picture or tibetan manual I show later at my master who approve or correct me if necessary.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Hey, Dzinamitra, check your personal messages....thanks! :smile:

VajraLion

Post by VajraLion »

Hey everyone, saw a few mentions of people having trouble obtaining tsampa in the west. I get mine from this site www.tibetantsampa.com and it works great.
ཨོཾ Through blood, sweat and tears the solution appears: The pride needs defended by a Lion! ཨོཾ
Tsultrim T.

Post by Tsultrim T. »

Dzinamitra, Here is the Mindroling Torma Manual: http://www.khenchenrinpoche.org/text.htm
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Looks cool, but that page has nothing to click..no links, etc.

It's just an illustration of the covers of three books plus a pecha...???

Tsultrim T.

Post by Tsultrim T. »

You can contact [email protected] to order any of the books. They are printed in in India.
haha

Post by haha »

this link might be useful.

Tsurphu Tradition offering Tormas (TSURLUG TORMAS) drawn by Ven. Lama Tenzin Gyurmed.

http://www.dharmadownload.net/download/ ... kTorma.zip

The text is in Tibetan.
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Wow!
Now, who can read cursive?
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Ku Yik? I can guess...but I have an edition of this with UChen, and actually an English Translation of the Tsurphu torma manual is available from KTD.

I have it. If you need to identify a given torma, in the Kamtsang or Tsurphu tradition, I can tell ya...

Word was, they were going to do a Shangpa version--Bokar Rinpoche had apparently comissioned the work, but we're still waiting...

tomfelt

Post by tomfelt »

This is a fascinating and useful thread. I appreciate the knowledge that you share.

Three questions: 1. I am practicing Vajrkilaya right now, and the sadhana makes a big deal of the torma offering (Tsasum Lingpa's "Dark Red Amulet of Unsurpassable Yang-Phur"). My teacher, Khenpo Tsewang Dongyal Rinpoche, made a beautiful, complicated torma for the communal practice, but at home I'd like to offer something much simpler. Unfortunately, he did not give any instructions on torma offerings, and he's such a busy man that there is little opportunity to approach him about something so mundane. Any thoughts of color, shape, and decorations for this deity practice?

2. I saw mention in this thread of the kapalas on the shrine and the rakta and mentor that are kept therein. What is the actual substance of each? Like, what do I buy at the store for this?

Finally, I change my mandala offering every 14 days on the new and full moons. Would I also change the torma and the kapala substances at that time, or are they disposed of sooner or later?

Thanks for any help you can offer a raging nube.
tomfelt

Post by tomfelt »

how does one add an image?

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”