Why do some religions try to convert others?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Gautama

Why do some religions try to convert others?

Post by Gautama »

Like why does religion that is based on judaism try to convince others that their way is true. If god exist-which im sure he does not,he would take care of the sinners. If you are a true believer you would care that you alone are living by "gods words" and dont mind for others?

-Its pretty simple to step on other people,but its really hard to fix your self
plwk

Re: Why do some religions try to convert others?

Post by plwk »

Well, if you want an accurate answer, try the Judaism or theism based forums...

Btw... 'Buddhism' is also a 'missionary' religion, only that we don't go with a Dharmacakra in one hand and a sword in the other... see this
Gautama

Post by Gautama »

plwk wrote:Well, if you want an accurate answer, try the Judaism or theism based forums...

Btw... 'Buddhism' is also a 'missionary' religion, only that we don't go with a Dharmacakra in one hand and a sword in the other... see this
yea but we dont kill, in the name of the "lord" we dont insult gays or lesbians,we are pacifistic we arent building any nukes for global destruction,.... you know where im pointing at right. As far as i see christianity,islam,israel this people are mad

p.s: tried the forum got banned :shrug:
viniketa

Post by viniketa »

Most proselytizing is done because the adherents truly believe they hold the key to "the truth" and wish to help others. Some, such as some Christians, believe they have been commanded by their Lord to "convert" (though, in the case of Christians, they have only been commanded to teach).

Since Buddhists believe one must arrive at truth for themselves, proselytizing is not done. If we follow the example of Guatama Buddha, however, we try to teach, but only if we are qualified to do so.

Hope this helps.

:namaste:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
Gautama

Post by Gautama »

viniketa wrote:Most proselytizing is done because the adherents truly believe they hold the key to "the truth" and wish to help others. Some, such as some Christians, believe they have been commanded by their Lord to "convert" (though, in the case of Christians, they have only been commanded to teach).

Since Buddhists believe one must arrive at truth for themselves, proselytizing is not done. If we follow the example of Guatama Buddha, however, we try to teach, but only if we are qualified to do so.

Hope this helps.

:namaste:
thanks
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Gautama wrote:
plwk wrote:Well, if you want an accurate answer, try the Judaism or theism based forums...

yea but we dont kill, in the name of the "lord" we dont insult gays or lesbians,we are pacifistic we arent building any nukes for global destruction,.... you know where im pointing at right. As far as i see christianity,islam,israel this people are mad

p.s: tried the forum got banned :shrug:
Judaism is not a missionary faith. Paul tried to bring the goyim into the Covenant. He had to go and start his own religion. (A Rabbi once said to me, "Christianity is a Jewish outreach program." LOL)

For Jews, you're born into it, and technically, only if your mother is Jewish. Of course there's examples like Sammy Davis, Jr., but those people are few and far between.

As far as Buddhists being paradigms of good behavior - I'm not so sure the Muslim Tamils in Sri Lanka, or the Muslims in Myanmar, or Muslims in Thailand, or Kurishtans in Japan, etc. etc. would agree. And we have homophobes in our midst to be sure.

My point, lets not be complacent that Buddhists are categorically paradigms of good behavior.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
greentara

Post by greentara »

gautama, As far as I know only Christianity and islam have a strong history of proselytizing. In Christianity it appears to be inbuilt in 'spreading the good news' and in the past there have been well documented barbaric acts to convert people agsainst their will. Islam has a very ugly past in India where it converted by the sword! There's alot of fighting in Africa right now with Islam pitted against the spread of Christianity.
As yet I've never heard of Jews proselytizing.
No religion is untainted by violence. Look at what happened in Sri Lanka between the Buddhists and the Tamil Hindus. It's cruel what they did to one another and it went on for years.
Quiet Heart

Post by Quiet Heart »

Gautama wrote:Like why does religion that is based on judaism try to convince others that their way is true. If god exist-which im sure he does not,he would take care of the sinners. If you are a true believer you would care that you alone are living by "gods words" and dont mind for others?

---------------------
:smile:
People try to convert other people to their religion or philosophy
Religions are just "things" and things don't try to convert anyone or anything.
It's the People who follow those religions....usually without really understanding those religions well enough....that are the Zealots who try to force other People to follow their religious views.
Unfortunately there is no religion that is immune from this error of judgement, including Buddhism.
Your last line is the crux of the matter.
It's far easier to find a "fault" in another person than to look at yourself to find a flaw in your own nature.
:smile:
Shame on you Shakyamuni for setting the precedent of leaving home.
Did you think it was not there--
in your wife's lovely face
in your baby's laughter?
Did you think you had to go elsewhere (simply) to find it?
from - Judyth Collin
The Layman's Lament
From What Book, 1998, p. 52
Edited by Gary Gach
Son of Buddha

Post by Son of Buddha »

Gautama wrote:Like why does religion that is based on judaism try to convince others that their way is true. If god exist-which im sure he does not,he would take care of the sinners. If you are a true believer you would care that you alone are living by "gods words" and dont mind for others?

I think its all about the manner in which missionary work is carried out.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

I want to convert people... from harming sentient beings.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Why is it we are just so much better than other people?
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
plwk

Post by plwk »

...we dont insult gays or lesbians...
'We' don't? Hmm...maybe a kind Mod here will show you some samples of homophobia and condescending remarks on the GLBTI community by some here in past threads ...or just wait for a few more postings here and you'll find out...
(A Rabbi once said to me, "Christianity is a Jewish outreach program." LOL)

Yudron

Post by Yudron »

plwk wrote:
'We' don't? Hmm...maybe a kind Mod here will show you some samples of homophobia and condescending remarks on the GLBTI community by some here in past threads ...or just wait for a few more postings here and you'll find out...
When I took refuge with the Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche in the early 90's in a group ceremony he surprised me by warning us not to be naive about people who call them selves Buddhist. He said we should all go to a Buddhist country at least once, where both the cops and the robbers are Buddhists. I took his advice to heart.

That doesn't mean I won't speak up when people say ignorant, disrespectful or hateful things. You know, some countries in this world still have harsh criminal penalties for homosexuality (see http://allafrica.com/stories/201212071099.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as an example), and this is a global forum. That being said, the homophobic comments here recently come from Americans and Europeans.
Gautama

Post by Gautama »

plwk wrote:
(A Rabbi once said to me, "Christianity is a Jewish outreach program." LOL)

internet can me a cruel place. People can say that they are what ever they want here,even it isn't true.This also includes me

Return to “Lounge”