Twitching eye spasm

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
paulbear

Twitching eye spasm

Post by paulbear »

This might sound a little crazy but for the past 2 days when mediating my right eye continues to twitch and open. I try to center and focus on my breath but I must say this is quite a nuisance on my daily practice. The more I bring myself to the breath the thoughts on my twitching begin. If anyone has advice that would be great. :roll:
Knotty Veneer

Re: Twitching eye spasm

Post by Knotty Veneer »

I think the only thing here to do is to relax and observe the twitch. Do not try to stop it or worry about what means. It’s neither good or bad.

You get all sorts of body sensations in meditation. Nothing to worry about. They usually disappear on their own eventually.
This is not the wrong life.
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

This is just latent tension. Do a tension/relaxation exercise: Scrunch up your eyes as tightly as you can until you can't hold it any more and then let go and consciously relax. Do the same for your forehead, mouth (make a grimace), neck. The problem should disappear right away.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Oh, what an interesting thread! :smile: I have the same thing. Twitching on the right eye since some time, maybe one month.
I let it twitch, what else can I do?
So, because the right side is for the practical things and the left side for the spiritual, i thought maybe i have some tension about my practical life. I found out the twitch starts to be stronger when i think of some things i have to do: 'Don't forget to do...' and 'Maybe I should better do this or that....'.
If i relax mentally and let the things be, the twitch stopps gently.

For me it is an interesting indicator for my mental state.
paulbear

Post by paulbear »

Thank you all for the wonderful advice, Karma your advice with scrunching the eye worked beautifully. Bright blessings of peace to all
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Sometimes that is also a sign of something good coming your way. . .
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Adamantine wrote:Sometimes that is also a sign of something good coming your way. . .
Why do you say that?

To be honest, I think if you start interpreting every itch and twitch as " a sign of something" your meditation is likely to lead to more confusion than less.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Knotty Veneer wrote:
Adamantine wrote:Sometimes that is also a sign of something good coming your way. . .
Why do you say that?

To be honest, I think if you start interpreting every itch and twitch as " a sign of something" your meditation is likely to lead to more confusion than less.

I say it because I heard it from a Lama friend that knows about these things.. and after he had it happen we did get very good news. But maybe it does not carry that meaning for everyone. I don't think it is about having a menu of twitches. I think it is about reading events in life, both big and small, as having various levels of meaning and information. Some are obvious, some more hidden.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Adamantine wrote:
Knotty Veneer wrote:
Why do you say that?

I say it because I heard it from a Lama friend that knows about these things.. and after he had it happen we did get very good news. But maybe it does not carry that meaning for everyone. I don't think it is about having a menu of twitches. I think it is about reading events in life, both big and small, as having various levels of meaning and information. Some are obvious, some more hidden.
Sounds like the road to madness to me.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

If you don't take the things and phenomenons in a relaxed way, it easily leads to some kind of madness. :smile:
Sara H

Post by Sara H »

paulbear wrote:This might sound a little crazy but for the past 2 days when mediating my right eye continues to twitch and open. I try to center and focus on my breath but I must say this is quite a nuisance on my daily practice. The more I bring myself to the breath the thoughts on my twitching begin. If anyone has advice that would be great. :roll:
This sortof thing can actually be kindof normal with sitting.

Twitches and such can occasionally come up. It's usually related to tension relieving/releasing.

Sometimes it sortof "spasms" or twitches while it releases.

In Gassho,

Sara H.
Observing your mind is a good idea.

Return to “Meditation”