Music time

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Mr. G

Re: Music time

Post by Mr. G »

mr. gordo wrote:
ronnewmexico wrote:..a muslim from Somalia...is my favorite
I really like this song...thanks for introducing him to me!
I did find flobots and rondo played together at the same time however quite interesting :smile: .
LOL..that couldn't have sounded too good!
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

No actually it reminded me of some songs I have heard that combine the two types of music intentionally. The driving rap style contrasting to the instrumental.

All music I enjoy has to have spiritual meaning, of a sort. Though I do indeed read into songs some things undoubtably not put there with that purpose. Spiritual meaning of a sort could be read into both those songs provided it seems. Many artists intentionally leave things wide enough to allow differing interpretations.

I have seen videos of people that speak only in song. And in some parts of the world songs are used as introductions from afar and a method of comparison. Some people in parts of the world spend their entire lives disciplining their voices to match the sounds of running brooks and streams. And when they go to city their craft is considered quite mundane and noone knows of what they sing(it is so sad).
The gods in their god realms speak only in song is the rumor.
A place with only superficial personal love songs is considered by some to be a inferior place, spiritually some state.

Though some love songs speak beyond personal love it seems.
Could we look back at our lives and find them as one song states.... as coins tossed into a fountain and wishes that turned out well....seems so....such is music, personal it seems, always, in the greater context.
Some perhaps rember in bits and pieces their godly past is my guess.

[video]http://
phpBB [video]
[/video]
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Another song by the same group just released called Neda..about a young girl killed by Iranian paramilitaries at a peaceful demonstration about the elections in Iran...

All proceeds from the release are going to amnesty international.....

phpBB [video]
[/video]

Makes me cry.....not just the video....the whole thing, and this response.

It's true the americans are trying any excuse to justify war, but its also true this regime in Iran..plainly sucks. One to my view depends upon the other to exist as surely as rain is wet, in both circumstances of government. Both requireing enemies for sustanance.

Can we go up to them, grab them by their shoulders and shake them from their ignorance....(both of them)

no we cannot.

On a lighter note..for you 60's affectionadoes....another LA band...Red Cortez..

phpBB [video]
[/video]

You know if you go fast enough...really fast enough, 130MPH fast..the passing stripes on the road become solid stripes and when you pass a truck a semi at twice their speed, for a split second there is a vacume effect when there is no wind sound...and it appears to the senses perhaps you are flying through air. This video reminds me of that.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Toe is a Japanese music group. The vast majority of the music is instrumental and features the swift and acute drumming of Kashikura Takashi. The band is also known for its melodic, clean guitar settings. Additionally, the compositions have repetition from typical rock motifs, but use very subtle changes in beat and rhythm to form a unique sound. The band has changed their sound over their musical tenure by incorporating acoustic guitars, rhodes piano, and vibraphones in their most recent releases.

phpBB [video]
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Ah
very nice

Here is a song one of very very few at the time in national rock music seeing Iraq and those things in a different light. I still remember at least one rock song being pro war so to speak at the time....
This shook me when I first heard it saying repeatedly.....finally. Someone at least one telling the truth of things....

phpBB [video]
[/video]

backs up against the wall(those were very bad times)...help comes often from totally unexpected venues it seems. Truth like water cannot be stamped out.

But the money to do such monstrosities is seemingly luckily running out.... So as bad as things may be for the unemployed and such there is a good side to this depression and stagnation. No money to attack others. Hence Afghanistan cannot last. Renditions and drone attacks on civilian without trial eventually will go away as well....strictly a matter of money. As is the cause of the fall of all empires. All of course eventually, all social programs being sacrificed for the corporate war machine....but in the end even with that sacrifice there will not be enough....and it will fail. The final failure perhaps but doomed to failure it is.

A marching tune to march away from the madness which was that war...
Luke

Post by Luke »

I've always loved the song "Gimme Shelter" by the Rolling Stones. "Gimme Shelter" makes me think about the phrase "taking refuge," although I'm sure McJagger's idea of "refuge" was probably a summer home full of whiskey and women and not a Buddhist temple. The lyrics are about the pain of samsara and the fragility of human existence. Rock on!

phpBB [video]

Here's a song by the heavy metal band Testament called "Trail of Tears" which is a tribute to Native Americans (the lead singer is Native American). It makes me feel love for the indigenous peoples of the world and fills me with sorrow as I think about how much suffering they've endured. Native Americans are often the first people to be forgotten in America, even though they are some of the Americans whom I respect the most.

May people of all ethnicites be treated with compassion and respect.

The title "Trail of Tears" also makes me think about the part of the Pali Canon where Buddha is talking about all the tears we've shed in past lives being enough to fill a great river.

phpBB [video]

"Trail of Tears" - Testament

See the sun as the day is done
Life is of the broken ones
Some will stray as time will come
All their lives, they live it well
Red man proud and giving hell
Some stand and shining tall

Can you hear them call?

See the sun as it's setting still
Tears fall from a warrior
Damn those who I feel

Set a trail to the promised land
Mother and child holding hand in hand
Through the snow or through the sands

All across the land...

Full moon's rising from the sky, a warrior's riding
Ride with the wind
So far away, the spirits will guide you
No more sorrow
Don't look back, your freedom will follow
Flying so free
Can't you see... on the trail of tears
Last edited by Luke on Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Here's the first RS samsara song :smile: ....
phpBB [video]

MJ rumor I have heard..... has him more like a competitive athlete than a partier. Quite a social consciousness as well. Richards...sure. Lucky to be aiive.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Here's a song by Rush with some Buddhist-sounding lyrics. It makes me think about enlightenment being impossible without the necessary causes and conditions. Most people just waste time thinking that something perfect will eventually find them without putting in the hard work to purify and develop their minds.

phpBB [video]

"Something for Nothing" - Rush

Waiting for the winds of change
To sweep the clouds away
Waiting for the rainbow's end
To cast its gold your way
Countless ways
You pass the days

Waiting for someone to call
And turn your world around
Looking for an answer
To the question you have found
Looking for
An open door

You don't get something for nothing
You can't have freedom for free
You won't get wise
With the sleep still in your eyes
No matter what your dreams might be

What you own is your own kingdom
What you do is your own glory
What you love is your own power
What you live is your own story
In your head is the answer
Let it guide you along
Let your heart be the anchor
And the beat of your own song

You don't get something for nothing
You can't have freedom for free
You won't get wise
With the sleep still in your eyes
No matter what your dreams might be
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

John Butler - One of the best instrumental guitar pieces ever.

phpBB [video]
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

excellent. Around 4:30 or so it really sounds impossibly like two instruments playing.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

yeah, amazing...it's a 12 string guitar :twothumbsup:
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Mr. Gordo,

I actually came across the band toe when I was looking for instrumental music (calming). I haven't really listened to them though and am wondering if they play relaxing music or if it's more upbeat? I downloaded som Keiko Matsui albums and really like them. If you know of any artists like that please let me know :smile:

~Sangyey
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Toe is classified by music nerds as "math rock". They can vary from light to upbeat. I think they're amazing. I'll check out Keiko Matsui.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
plwk

Post by plwk »

phpBB [video]

Go now, don't look back, we've drawn the line...Move on, it's no good to go back in time

Sigh...how nostalgic... :cry:
Basho

Post by Basho »

phpBB [video]

This band (Mono) is consistently releasing amazing instrumental music in my opinion. My other two favorite bands who are also instrumental (for the most part) are Godspeed! You Black Emperor and (the band most of the members from GYBE went on to form) A Silver Mt. Zion (aka Thee Silver Mt. Zion and Tra la la Orchestra). Just about anything from these bands is going to be a beautiful piece.
An Autumn night---
Dont think your life
didnt matter
-Basho
Basho

Post by Basho »

mr. gordo wrote:Toe is classified by music nerds as "math rock". They can vary from light to upbeat. I think they're amazing. I'll check out Keiko Matsui.
Check out math rock kings NomeansNo and Don Caballero
An Autumn night---
Dont think your life
didnt matter
-Basho
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Basho wrote:http://youtu.be/zAleQ79UlT8

This band (Mono) is consistently releasing amazing instrumental music in my opinion. My other two favorite bands who are also instrumental (for the most part) are Godspeed! You Black Emperor and (the band most of the members from GYBE went on to form) A Silver Mt. Zion (aka Thee Silver Mt. Zion and Tra la la Orchestra). Just about anything from these bands is going to be a beautiful piece.
Good stuff! Thanks for that Basho.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Basho

Post by Basho »

you're very welcome!
glad you enjoyed :)
An Autumn night---
Dont think your life
didnt matter
-Basho
Virgo