Request for Help: Identification of a Statue

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Roland

Request for Help: Identification of a Statue

Post by Roland »

Sometime last year, a person I was working with at the time said he found this statue at a store that sells items that have been donated and antiques (thrift store?). The statue had been on sale for maybe 5 years, or somewhere around that amount of time, and had been moved into the back of the store because no one wanted to buy it. I think, if I recall correctly, it was dropped off by someone. This person that I worked with ended up buying it and taking it home. Vaguely knowing some of my interests, I was asked if I could help try to figure out the origins of the statue, if it is anything significant or just an artistic creation not based on anything in particular.

I tried to research it, but came up with nothing, and more importantly I don't even know where to start with this thing. It is about 6 feet tall or so, has red eyes gazing downward, holds a golden ball in the right hand between thumb, index and middle fingers with palm facing up. The left hand faces downward as you can see. It also has a symbol in between the eyes which I am familiar with but do not know what it is called.

I did not get a look at the feet, but I was told that underneath the feet there are some markings. Maybe just an artist's signature, but I was never sent the pictures of the markings.

I'm sure there are people here that possibly have some clues or outright know what this is as I have zero experience with this sort of thing in general. Any suggestions of what or where to research? What are the origins of this statue? The "skull and crossbones" necklace is not a part of the statue.

Please excuse my very limited picture editing skills and for the obnoxious sizing. :tongue:
StatueHead.JPG
StatueHead.JPG (447.32 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
StatueEdit.jpg
StatueEdit.jpg (470.06 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
"Seek truth in meditation, not moldy books. Look in the sky to find the moon, not in the pond."
- Persian proverb
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Request for Help: Identification of a Statue

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

This is a standing Buddha from Thailand. The thing on the forehead is called an urna
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urna
the ball in the hand has a lot of interpretations, but it generally refers to infinity, the universe, etc.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I dunno, the crown is a feature normally absent from Thai Buddhas (well the ones I have seen, that is) . Thais really get into the whole Ramayana thing so it might be related to that, though Rama is normally shown carrying a bow. Could be another Hindu deity though.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

gregkavarnos wrote:I dunno, the crown is a feature normally absent from Thai Buddhas (well the ones I have seen, that is) . Thais really get into the whole Ramayana thing so it might be related to that, though Rama is normally shown carrying a bow. Could be another Hindu deity though.
Well, the crowns are frequently seen on various celestial beings. What this looks like is something knocked off for unsuspecting tourists, incorporating a bunch of stuff thrown in together. I'll give you a dollar for the skull & crossbones necklace.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
plwk

Post by plwk »

I think this is a replica of the famous and highly revered image of the Mahamuni (Great Sage) Buddha found in Mandalay, Myanmar. Google on it.
GrahamR

Post by GrahamR »

Dear all

The hat, mouth, spot on head, clothes do not look Thai. (so my resident expert wife says)

An urna is the red dot, more common in some Chinese statues. The pointed hat doesn't look Chinese, not to me does the Buddha

Graham
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

plwk wrote:I think this is a replica of the famous and highly revered image of the Mahamuni (Great Sage) Buddha found in Mandalay, Myanmar. Google on it.
It is definitely inspired by the Mahamuni statue.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
plwk

Post by plwk »

As a correction to my earlier posting, I found a site that can help explain some of the features of the picture, Mandalay influence like the right hand holding a round ball is the myrobalan fruit signifying the Buddha as a healer, the left hand normally exposing the various one to three layers of the monastic robes, the high crown on the head that looks like the Bagan style and also reminiscient of the highly revered Mahamuni Buddha...
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Here he is:

http://www.burmese-art.com/old-standing ... rma-708-42
crowned burmese buddha.jpg
crowned burmese buddha.jpg (51.71 KiB) Viewed 1946 times

Roland

Post by Roland »

Thank you all for your responses. They are very helpful. :twothumbsup:
PadmaVonSamba wrote:I'll give you a dollar for the skull & crossbones necklace.
Please, you are offering too much.

"Seek truth in meditation, not moldy books. Look in the sky to find the moon, not in the pond."
- Persian proverb

Return to “Lounge”