Words of My Perfect Teacher

Nikolay

Words of My Perfect Teacher

Post by Nikolay »

Hi everyone,

I am considering buying "Words of My Perfect Teacher" by Patrul Rinpoche. The book is a bit expensive for me, so I decided to ask for advice first.

My problem: as far as I know, most of the book is devoted to explanation of Longchen Nyingthig ngondro. But when I (hopefully) will begin my ngondro, it will be Chokling Tersar ngondro, since that's my tradition. Will "Words of My Perfect Teacher" still be helpful for me?

Essentially, I was looking for a definitive Lamrim-level book for my tradition, kinda like Lamrim Chenmo is for Gelug school (I own it and liked it a lot). WoMPT always turns up first in any recommendations I find, but since it is heavily centred around ngondro of a different lineage, I am not sure if it is the right one for me.
Please consider donating to help find a cure for Degenerative Vitreous Syndrome:
http://www.gofundme.com/floaters
heart

Re: Words of My Perfect Teacher

Post by heart »

mirage wrote:Hi everyone,

I am considering buying "Words of My Perfect Teacher" by Patrul Rinpoche. The book is a bit expensive for me, so I decided to ask for advice first.

My problem: as far as I know, most of the book is devoted to explanation of Longchen Nyingthig ngondro. But when I (hopefully) will begin my ngondro, it will be Chokling Tersar ngondro, since that's my tradition. Will "Words of My Perfect Teacher" still be helpful for me?

Essentially, I was looking for a definitive Lamrim-level book for my tradition, kinda like Lamrim Chenmo is for Gelug school (I own it and liked it a lot). WoMPT always turns up first in any recommendations I find, but since it is heavily centred around ngondro of a different lineage, I am not sure if it is the right one for me.
The biggest part of "Words of My Perfect Teacher" is about the four thoughts that turn the mind. The Longchen Nyingthig Ngondro is very similar to the Lamey Tukdrup Barche Kunsel Ngondro that is normally called the Chokling Tersar Ngondro. So even most part of the Ngondro instructions are very similar. "Words of My Perfect Teacher" is considered a masterpiece, you don't have to have any doubts about it.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

WOMPT is great. It is commentary on LN ngondro but is general enough to provide plenty of useful advice to anyone. You could also try Light of Wisdom, Jamgon Kongtrul's commentary on Chokgyur Lingpa's Lamrim Yeshe Nyingpo http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=22157 It is in 2 volumes (or is there a 3rd that's restricted?) so, as money seems to be a consideration, it isn't cheap, but it is a Chokling Tersar Lamrim text which is what you want.

Edit: I just noticed there are apparently 4 volumes to Light of Wisdom. I've only read 2 and am guessing 3and 4 are restricted. On the cheaper side there's always the Great Gate.
Nikolay

Post by Nikolay »

heart wrote: The biggest part of "Words of My Perfect Teacher" is about the four thoughts that turn the mind. The Longchen Nyingthig Ngondro is very similar to the Lamey Tukdrup Barche Kunsel Ngondro that is normally called the Chokling Tersar Ngondro. So even most part of the Ngondro instructions are very similar. "Words of My Perfect Teacher" is considered a masterpiece, you don't have to have any doubts about it.
/magnus
Thank you, if Ngondro instructions are also relevant to a degree, then it is decided.
michaelb wrote:WOMPT is great. It is commentary on LN ngondro but is general enough to provide plenty of useful advice to anyone. You could also try Light of Wisdom, Jamgon Kongtrul's commentary on Chokgyur Lingpa's Lamrim Yeshe Nyingpo http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=22157 It is in 2 volumes (or is there a 3rd that's restricted?) so, as money seems to be a consideration, it isn't cheap, but it is a Chokling Tersar Lamrim text which is what you want.

Edit: I just noticed there are apparently 4 volumes to Light of Wisdom. I've only read 2 and am guessing 3and 4 are restricted. On the cheaper side there's always the Great Gate.
I own the first volume of Light of Wisdom, but I still have to read it thoroughly. For some reason I found it less easily understandable than Lamrim Chenmo: it often feels like Nyingma authors just tend to assume that reader had a far greater level of realization/understanding than I actually do. So I was hoping for something a bit more basic.
Please consider donating to help find a cure for Degenerative Vitreous Syndrome:
http://www.gofundme.com/floaters
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

WOMPT is written in an easy colloquial style, apparently. Also, Padmakara Translations are always very readable, even if this is at the expense of accuracy of the translation.
Great Gate is also pretty basic and readable, if I remember correctly.
futerko

Post by futerko »

Yeti

Post by Yeti »

mirage wrote:I own the first volume of Light of Wisdom, but I still have to read it thoroughly. For some reason I found it less easily understandable than Lamrim Chenmo: it often feels like Nyingma authors just tend to assume that reader had a far greater level of realization/understanding than I actually do. So I was hoping for something a bit more basic.
My Dharma background was Gelugpa, Kagyu, then Nyingma. It's interesting in the Kagyu that the Jewel Ornament of Liberation begins with the chapter on Tathāgatagarbha (buddha nature) as the starting premise. What I find in the Nyingma is that the prayers of aspiration and confession seem to be based on the failure and short comings of one not realising primal purity or kadak. This is just my personal observation and it might be off the mark. But that has a power effect on myself as an ordinary practitioner on the path and makes me sit up trying to implement that awareness when doing those prayers and practices.

So I think it can be a matter of perspective of the path in how the path is manifest in the different traditions. Like many great masters, they can appreciate all these perspectives, helps serve the diversity of sentient beings.
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
Tsultrim T.

Post by Tsultrim T. »

I just wanted to add that WOMPT should be required reading for any Nyingma (or any lineage really) practitioner. It is very inspiring and for me really helped to encourage and inspire me to complete ngondro. I actually read it while doing Chokling Tersar ngondro and all the main points apply flawlessly. I have gone back to this text time and again for clarification and it is truly one book in my Dharma library I could not do without. There is a version printed in India that costs about US $8, if you can access it through a friend or a teacher do not hesitate to buy it. Also I highly recommend Lotus Ocean by Chokling Rinpoche as it is the best modern commentary with a Q&A section on the Chokling Tersar Ngondro. http://shop.gomde.us/Books/Lotus_Ocean
byamspa

Post by byamspa »

And if you get through WOMPT, there's a commentary on it too!

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Words-My-Pe ... 1590300734
Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

byamspa wrote:And if you get through WOMPT, there's a commentary on it too!

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Words-My-Pe ... 1590300734
I recommend this text for anyone interested.
hieutrinh85

Post by hieutrinh85 »

Hello and Tashi Delek to my fellow Nyingmapa brothers and sisters
I am quite confident that WoMPT is a very required text book from 1st grader to High level course :) but written in a way which is easy to understand. :) Not only for Nyingmapa disciple but also for anyone who want to walk on the Varjayana path
etinin

Post by etinin »

About Ngondro, there are some other highly praised books within the Nyingma tradition if you want more resources:

A Torch Lighting the Way to Freedom - Dudjom Rinpoche
Enlightened Courage - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Not for Happiness, A Guide to the So-Called Preliminary Practises - Dzongsar Rinpoche

Words of my Perfect Teacher is always recommended as a classic. Don't forget to check that online link if you can't purchase it. Also, don't worry about the particular Ngondro sadhana. In Chagdud Gonpa, we practice mostly the Dudjom Tersar, but Chagdud Khadro still recommended these books. The principles behind the Ngondro are the same in all sadhanas, even from other traditions.
--Karma Rigpe Wangchuk

"Meditation brings wisdom. Lack of meditation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what holds you back."
Shakyamuni

Return to “Nyingma”