My observations about seeing HHDL

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Luke

My observations about seeing HHDL

Post by Luke »

I recently had the great opportunity to see His Holiness the Dalai Lama in Budapest, Hungary. Although I did not get to meet with His Holiness individually, at one point, I was sitting about 30 feet away from him.

This was the first time I had seen the Dalai Lama in person. In many ways, he seemed exactly the same as he does in YouTube videos. He is a very straightforward person. When he's happy and excited, you can tell. When he's tired and a bit bored, you can also tell. He doesn't hide behind the multiplicity of masks that most of us hide behind. He is such a good and serene person that he has nothing to hide.

His presence didn't feel the way I thought it would. I guess I had many fantasies, but he always acts in a very plain manner. I wouldn't say that I felt disappointed, because I was indeed very happy to see him, but the total effect of seeing him in person was different than what I had expected.

I guess this might parallel the texts I've read which often say that some people find the true nature of mind to be disappointingly ordinary as well when they first encounter it. I see His Holiness' whole being as pointing others towards the true nature of mind and dispelling all misconceptions and fantasies.

One person in the audience asked him about eating meat, and HHDL talked very strongly about the importance of being vegetarian in order to reduce the suffering of animals.

May His Holiness live a long and healthy life for the benefit of all beings, and may Tibet be free!
:buddha1:
swampflower

Re: My observations about seeing HHDL

Post by swampflower »

Having attended teachings by HH the 14th Dalai Lama several times I must comment that his humble and plain manner and wonderful sense of humor is a reflection of his vast training in and knowledge of the Dharma. As he always says, "I am just a simple monk".
However to be in the presence of HH is akin to being in the presence of Buddha. It is important to open one's heart as well as mind when receiving teachings on the Dharma. During his talks he is surrounded by a great refuge field. He speaks with the Lion's Roar.
:buddha1: :buddha1: :buddha1:
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Regarding the vegetarianism..the karmapa has similiarily made a decision in this matter.
This link from a verifyable Kagyu source identifies the specifics for monks and others behaviors as of 2007.....http://www.rokpafinland.org/talk.htm.

The link at the bottom of the link, sites the karmapa's public statement on the issue.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
neverdowell

Post by neverdowell »

Congratulations on seeing HHDL!

By the way, I also feel a lot better being vegetarian. I feel more energy, not less. I agree it is much more compassionate to the animals as well, especially considering factory farming methods used nowadays.

To develop bodhichitta, which is the actual practice, you need to develop such compassion that you simply cannot bear others being tormented by suffering. But in order to develop this compassion, you must know exactly how you yourself are plagued by suffering. And you must understand that the whole of samsara is by nature suffering. But first you must fear the lower realms, for without this you will have no repudiation of celestial and human happiness. You must therefore train your mind in the small- and medium- scope parts of the path. -- Pabongka Rinpoche
Luke

Post by Luke »

The other thing that was great about this event was being surrounded by over 20,000 people in a sports arena who were there because they loved His Holiness the Dalai Lama so much.

It's rare in the west (especially in Eastern Europe) to see so many people at a Buddhist event. People had come from all over. Some came from as far away as Canada and Chile to be there.

I should go to more international Buddhist events where I would meet other Buddhists outside my sangha.
Luke

Post by Luke »

swampflower wrote:It is important to open one's heart as well as mind when receiving teachings on the Dharma. During his talks he is surrounded by a great refuge field. He speaks with the Lion's Roar.
You're probably right. I have been quite frustrated for a while because I haven't been able to set up a certain meditation retreat with my sangha members. Perhaps my heart wasn't so open at that time.

I thought His Holiness was at his most radiant at the end of his talks when he stood up and alternately put his hands in the prayer position and waved to the audience members while smiling at everyone. He is so powerful that his happiness easily spreads to over 20,000 people.

Sitting close to him is a very good feeling. It's simply the way life should be.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”