Skype - the way forward to practice together?

thewhiterussia

Skype - the way forward to practice together?

Post by thewhiterussia »

Dear Dzogchen practitioners who live "in the galaxy far far away" has anyone of you tried to use Skype to do Ganapujas and other collective practices together? Please share your experience..
Dronma

Re: Skype - the way forward to practice together?

Post by Dronma »

Skype has many interruptions and delays in both video and voice.
Not good for practicing together!
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
Zenda

Post by Zenda »

I've used it and it's worked fine. :)
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

People are quite happy with "Google Hangouts." It's free, and good for groups up to 8 to all see each other. I haven't tried it yet for tsog, but it sounds like a good thing.
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

Also Google Chat gives interruptions and delays.
Maybe it is good idea only for explaining practices to new people.

PS. It might works fine when we use them for a few minutes, but connection does not remain stable for long time.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Maybe it is your location, Dronma... Skype is working fine for me.
justin.hudgins

Post by justin.hudgins »

Both work great for me, the only issues I've ever had have been with another user's hardware or internet connection, not the service itself.

I've heard that DC members in China regularly do tshogs online, but I don't know if it's through either of these services or something else.
thewhiterussia

Post by thewhiterussia »

thanks for sharing..
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

I connect with people from very different places of the planet, Yudron.
And we all have the same problems with both Skype and Google Chat.
You can check it by searching in relative forums. A lot of people complaining there...
That's why both programs develop new upgrades all the time, while trying to resolve these problems. ;)
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Dronma wrote:I connect with people from very different places of the planet, Yudron.
And we all have the same problems with both Skype and Google Chat.
You can check it by searching in relative forums. A lot of people complaining there...
That's why both programs develop new upgrades all the time, while trying to resolve these problems. ;)
Good to know.
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Yeah same here, I hardly ever have a problem with Skype or Google chat Dronma, so maybe it is your area. Sometimes universal updates are put out to deal with regional issues.
s.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Our small group in Boulder studying with Tulku Sherdor Rinpoche (who lives in upstate NY) has been using Go To Meeting to practice together and receive teachings in real time. Our Go To Meeting sangha also includes a group in Lisbon, Portugal (headed by Lama Gyurme), and other individuals around the States and even in Scotland. Works really well. Everyone can see and hear each other (if you go with that option), and people can ask questions either by writing them or speaking out loud (as long as they have a mic attached to their computer). It helps that people in Portugal are used to staying up late. We start on one Sunday each month around 1 PM Boulder time and in Portugal it's 9 PM (I think).

:anjali:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

pemachophel wrote:Our small group in Boulder studying with Tulku Sherdor Rinpoche (who lives in upstate NY) has been using Go To Meeting to practice together and receive teachings in real time. Our Go To Meeting sangha also includes a group in Lisbon, Portugal (headed by Lama Gyurme), and other individuals around the States and even in Scotland. Works really well. Everyone can see and hear each other (if you go with that option), and people can ask questions either by writing them or speaking out loud (as long as they have a mic attached to their computer). It helps that people in Portugal are used to staying up late. We start on one Sunday each month around 1 PM Boulder time and in Portugal it's 9 PM (I think).

Sounds excellent! :twothumbsup:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
mandala

Post by mandala »

pemachophel wrote:Our small group in Boulder studying with Tulku Sherdor Rinpoche (who lives in upstate NY) has been using Go To Meeting to practice together and receive teachings in real time. Our Go To Meeting sangha also includes a group in Lisbon, Portugal (headed by Lama Gyurme), and other individuals around the States and even in Scotland. Works really well. Everyone can see and hear each other (if you go with that option), and people can ask questions either by writing them or speaking out loud (as long as they have a mic attached to their computer). It helps that people in Portugal are used to staying up late. We start on one Sunday each month around 1 PM Boulder time and in Portugal it's 9 PM (I think).

Wow, that's fantastic! Wonderful to be able to share with your sangha around the world, in real time, especially to be able to interact.
:twothumbsup:
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

:namaste:

Put your hands on your computer folks and feel the warmth of Dharma comin to ya! :smile:

So then the practical issue of making the connections between Dharma teachers and Dharma students all over the world.

Maybe a "new" DW can have a multiplicity of vetted chat rooms where teachers and students, or students and students, can get together and study and practice.

Maybe there can be a permanent thread on DW that posts on-line interactive, and non-interactive, teaching offerings.

Maybe there can be a 501C3 charitable NGO, to collect (as permitted) all of the recordings of the on-line teachings and make them available, for free, on the web.

Maybe there can be a world peace protector practice, handed off to different time zones, to keep it going 24/7.

Maybe there can be a Dharma Dewey Decimal System and hyperlinked, multi media, and multi dimensional data base of all teachers, lineages, spiritual transmissions and practices (and scanned in print media) to enable easy access to Dharma sources for seekers.

Here are 3 old ads from the DC. I think you could write to the references and see what is coming up.

Time: 9:00 PM
Category: Yantra Yoga
Online via WebEx
Open to Dzogchen Community Members who have received Transmission and are a current member of the Dzogchen Community.

There is a 25 participant limit. If you plan on joining, Please RSVP Nancy Paris at [email protected]. We will then send you an invitation from Chodak Dorje, with a link to the Webex session.

If it's your first time using WebEx Online Meetings Click here for Webex Information.

Dear Vajra Family,

On May 20th at 19:00h (GMT+2) there will be an open webcast (http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast/together.php) from Kunkyabling (Prague) of the Mandarava Ganapuja specially dedicated to the health of our beloved Master and all practitioners who also need this practice.

We will do the practice without Namkha, Lungta neither Dance.

We hope that all of you can follow it, wherever you are, so that we can do the practice together, increasing its potentiality and our capacity for the benefit of all sentient beings.

Long Life to our Master!!!

The Team.
[email protected]

Querida Familia Vajra,

Este 20 de Mayo a las 19:00h (+2GMT) habrá una webcast abierta (http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast/together.php)desde Kunkyabling (Prague) de la Ganapuja de Mandarava, especialmente dedicada a la salud de nuestro amado Maestro y a todos los practicantes que lo necesiten.

Haremos la práctica sin Namkha, Lungta, ni Danza.

Esperamos que desde donde os encontréis podáis organizaros para seguir la práctica juntos y así podamos entre todos incrementar nuestra capacidad, desarrollando nuestro potencial en beneficio de todos los seres sintientes!

Larga Vida al Maestro!!!

El Equipo.
[email protected]

and yes, Skype / Go to Meeting is a way forward now, up and running.
MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

Cyberdhatu
I am well aware of my idiocy. I am also very aware that you too are an idiot. Therein lies our mutuality.
thewhiterussia

Post by thewhiterussia »

Many thanks for such an informative answer I feel that I need to catch up with modern technology...
:namaste:

Return to “Dzogchen”