Hey guys! (I don't necessarily hate clowns)

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Clownhater112

Hey guys! (I don't necessarily hate clowns)

Post by Clownhater112 »

Hello, my name is Frank Guo and I am a high school senior who is currently studying World Religion as part of the International Baccalaureate program. I been a Buddhist since birth because of my parents. However, it wasn't until last year that I started practicing Buddhism. Seeing that it has alleviated a lot of my internal troubles, I started to embrace my being a Buddhist.
I hope to use website to not only strengthen my devotion to Buddhism but also to seek answers to my questions. If I happen to quote anyone's response in this forum on my Religious Investigation paper, I will be sure to ask for your permission first and cite you on my paper. Thanks for reading!
Beauty comes in a price but happiness is always free
plwk

Re: Hey guys! (I don't necessarily hate clowns)

Post by plwk »

欢迎 huān yíng :hi:
I been a Buddhist since birth because of my parents
I didn't know that an infant can take or understand Refuge and Precepts! You must be a prodigy! :lol: :mrgreen:
If I happen to quote anyone's response in this forum on my Religious Investigation paper, I will be sure to ask for your permission first and cite you on my paper.
As always, the caveat on quotable quotes, no guarantees on accuracy or reliability, especially mine! :tongue:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Welcome (back to Buddhism) Frank! I hope you find what you want/need here. Image

Don't be shy about asking questions and starting topics of discussion. Before doing so it is always a good idea to first use the search function at the top right of the page and see what comes. ;)
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Hi, welcome to the board!

I have to confess I'm a bit unsure about clowns myself...
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hi:

:juggling:
shel

Post by shel »

Welcome.

I don't necessarily hate clowns either, join the club. :group:
LittleCat

Post by LittleCat »

Hello Frank :) Welcome to DW!

Having been baptized a Catholic when I was only a few weeks old, I do know that after baptism, one is considered a Catholic forever, even if they are an infant when that baptism takes place. The Catholic Church thinks of it as "Baptism of Desire", because according to them, only a fool or willfully evil person would choose to NOT be a part of the Catholic community.

This also holds true with many other faiths, and even though they don't have the 'official mechanism' of Baptism as a ritual to bind you into that faith. So I understand what you mean when you say you've been Buddhist from birth.

LC
plwk

Post by plwk »

This also holds true with many other faiths, and even though they don't have the 'official mechanism' of Baptism as a ritual to bind you into that faith.
And your source of reference on this assertion within the context of Buddhism is...
Having been baptized a Catholic when I was only a few weeks old, I do know that after baptism, one is considered a Catholic forever, even if they are an infant when that baptism takes place. The Catholic Church thinks of it as "Baptism of Desire", because according to them, only a fool or willfully evil person would choose to NOT be a part of the Catholic community.
Perhaps, this is what the official version of 'Baptism of Desire' is...as I recall my catechism previously...
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/a ... s2c1a1.htm
For catechumens who die before their Baptism, their explicit desire to receive it, together with repentance for their sins, and charity, assures them the salvation that they were not able to receive through the sacrament.
Those who die for the faith, those who are catechumens, and all those who, without knowing of the Church but acting under the inspiration of grace, seek God sincerely and strive to fulfill his will, can be saved even if they have not been baptized (cf. LG 16).
The OP has not indicated if his family or parents are formal Buddhists in the first place.
In many Asian families (assuming from his name), such are these dynamics:
a. it's a common phenomena for them to have some kind of perfunctory respect for 'Buddhism' and would not mind calling themselves 'Buddhists' because an older generation member in the family has an altar to the Buddha or Guan YIn but when pressed further, they may not really want to accept the Buddha Dharma wholesale.
The younger generation are generally taught to respect the 'family tradition' although they may not understand anything or are brought up with a distorted version of the Buddha Dharma and would probably just tag along to temples as a family trip/outing, grudgingly or willingly. Going to a Buddhist temple or holding three sticks of incense or showing up for the annual Vesak Day celebration or eating vegetarian food on the New and Full Moon Days makes one an Upasaka/Upasika?
I dunno about some people but here's what the Buddha told Jivaka...
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Then Jivaka Komarabhacca went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down, sat to one side. As he was sitting there he said to the Blessed One:
"Lord, to what extent is one a lay follower?"

"Jivaka, when one has gone to the Buddha for refuge, has gone to the Dhamma for refuge, and has gone to the Sangha for refuge, then to that extent is one a lay follower."

b. many Asian families do mix up the propitiation pantheon of local deities, ancestors honoring and the Buddha and still call themselves 'Buddhists' without even having any affiliation/understanding with/on the Buddha Dharma. This is a result of cultural pan religious attitudes, not a bad thing in my personal view but insufficient from a serious Buddhist POV. it's just like many families call themselves Taoist but do not subscribe to actual and official Taoist teaching and practice and many end up conflating the folk religion practices with proper Taoism (and Buddhism).

c. Like my own dad, back in the years when he wasn't a committed Christian, when pressed for what to fill in the blanks on the official documentation section on religion, he would just say 'Buddhist' for the heck of it, because that's what many Chinese families in my country do. But in actual reality, he's an atheist.

Hence, I made a lighthearted post to highlight a fact that one's birth is not tied up with any religion or irreligion as opposed to biological/genetical factors like gender (even so, this too can be changed) and ethnic background. But I will concede that one is born into a religious or irreligious household.

And religions or religious communities that bind one's birth to their ideology may be creating unnecessary suffering for the person. For instance, in some countries, one's biological ethnicity is tied up with a particular religion, now what happens if that person changes to another religion? Does the person's ethnicity cease as well?
And there are actual cases that I have known where some of my Chinese friends who come from purported Buddhist households and who embrace Christianity would be threatened by their own families with expulsion and remarks like 'You are betraying your culture and family'. I was like what the :rolleye:
Do these people even remember that Buddhism have its roots from India?
Or how oft in the early Chinese Buddhist history in China, Buddhism is oft thought of being a barbarian's religion?

Just some thoughts...
Clownhater112

Post by Clownhater112 »

Thanks for the warm-hearted welcomes!
I think I should have made it more clear when I say that I was born a Buddhist.Well to clarify,much like what some of you have said is that I was born into a family that considered themselves Buddhist. My parents often tell me that when I was born they donated money to the Buddhist temple to have my name craved onto the wall so that I maybe blessed. Growing up, I always thought Buddha grants wishes because my mom would always pray to Buddha for better luck and health. It wasn't until I learnt about Buddhism and practiced for myslef that I realized I had the wrong idea of Buddha this whole time and so had my parents. I realized the real meaning of Buddhism is unique to the practioner him or herself. Buddha passes down the Four Noble Truth and 8 Fold Path knowing perfectly well that no human is able to just simply follow these rules for life. One does not learn what is right until he do wrong.
I really hope what I am saying does not get too involved into this whole Mahayana and Theravada catgorically issue. I believe that the true meaning of a Buddhist is to learn from experiences that upholds Buddha's teaching to escape suffering. If I am wrong, I am more than willing to listen respectfully and take your opinions to shape my own belief in Buddhism. I am still young and ignorant. =)
Beauty comes in a price but happiness is always free
Vajratantrika

Post by Vajratantrika »

Clownhater112 wrote:Hello, my name is Frank Guo and I am a high school senior who is currently studying World Religion as part of the International Baccalaureate program. I been a Buddhist since birth because of my parents. However, it wasn't until last year that I started practicing Buddhism. Seeing that it has alleviated a lot of my internal troubles, I started to embrace my being a Buddhist.
I hope to use website to not only strengthen my devotion to Buddhism but also to seek answers to my questions. If I happen to quote anyone's response in this forum on my Religious Investigation paper, I will be sure to ask for your permission first and cite you on my paper. Thanks for reading!
Welcome to Dharma Wheel Frank. I'm fairly new here myself, having only joined in December. I've found there to be some great dialog on the forum, and lots of helpful Dharma friends.
May all sentient beings have happiness and its causes,
May all sentient beings be free of suffering and its causes,
May all sentient beings never be separated from bliss without suffering,
May all sentient beings be in equanimity, free of ignorance, attachment and aversion.

Return to “Introductions”