Vimalamitra cycle

Nicholas Weeks

Vimalamitra cycle

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Malcolm once mentioned a tradition that every 100 years Vimalamitra sends a disciple or comes himself (I forget) to bless & help humanity.

Does anyone know where, on our calendar, the 100 year cycle ends & begins? For example, at the 27th year of our centuries - or when?
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Yudron

Re: Vimalamitra cycle

Post by Yudron »

Will wrote:Malcolm once mentioned a tradition that every 100 years Vimalamitra sends a disciple or comes himself (I forget) to bless & help humanity.

Does anyone know where, on our calendar, the 100 year cycle ends & begins? For example, at the 27th year of our centuries - or when?
Well the last one was Khenpo Ngaga (Khenpo Ngawang Palzang) 1879 to 1941, so I would imagine we have a ways to go.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Not at all. If the last one hit his majority around 1900, that suggests that around 2000 the present one (who?) became active and will continue so for 30,40, 50 years. So I will posit that the Vimalamitra century turns at the beginning of a new one. So 2100, 2200 etc.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Will wrote:Not at all. If the last one hit his majority around 1900, that suggests that around 2000 the present one (who?) became active and will continue so for 30,40, 50 years. So I will posit that the Vimalamitra century turns at the beginning of a new one. So 2100, 2200 etc.
I hadn't thought of it that way. Sounds good!
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Yeah he's probably active now we just need to recognize him.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Yangthang Tulku Rinpoche
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

ngodrup wrote:Yangthang Tulku Rinpoche
Really? I hadn't made note of that. I really hope he lives til at least 100.
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Yudron wrote:
ngodrup wrote:Yangthang Tulku Rinpoche
Really? I hadn't made note of that. I really hope he lives til at least 100.
It's mentioned on ODD's website's page for the Kama empowerments. And Gyatrul Rinpoche has mentioned it in the past. I too hope he lives that long. He really does seem to me to be an inconceivable Dzogchen master.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

I have also heard, from sources I trust in these matters, that both HH Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche and HH Penor Rinpoche were such emanations of Vimalamitra.
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

All the teachers mentioned above seem to be excellent. Really, though, one should not put much stock in someone's having been declared an emanation of an illustrious person, any more than one should accept a "tulku" as a teacher without examining him. Listen carefully to such declarations and you can often hear the sound of an axe being ground in the background.
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

tingdzin wrote:Listen carefully to such declarations and you can often hear the sound of an axe being ground in the background.
In the cases that I have heard such proclamations this is definitely not so. And it's not done for any gain either. I can only gather it is said to engender greater connection and devotion to the Teacher and teachings being given. And I don't think it was just made up out of thin air.
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications

Return to “Dzogchen”