Mūlamadhyamaka Kārikā translation

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
Jayarava

Mūlamadhyamaka Kārikā translation

Post by Jayarava »

If anyone is interested I am posting my translation and notes of the MMK as I go as a blog: http://middleway-verses.blogspot.co.uk/ The aim is to read the whole text over the summer - thus keeping me interested and reading Sanskrit until classes start in September.

My aim is to practice my (newly acquired) Sanskrit and learn a little. I only know Madhyamaka in outline and this is a chance to get to know Nāgārjuna. If people just wanted to follow along that's fine, but it might be good if you know this text in Sanskrit to chip in with comments and ideas. Particularly on the grammar front.

My point of view is rooted in a close study of the Kaccānagotta Sutta (in Pāli, Sanskrit and Chinese) in the light of Sue Hamilton's work (Especially as found in her book Early Buddhism: A New Approach). Thus I share some (but not all) assumptions with David Kalupahana. I won't be getting into the arguments of later exegesis if I can help it. I want to try to take the text on face value, and to explore the idea that thinking of Buddhism in terms of experience rather than ontology is a useful hermeneutic principle.

Chapter 1 is complete, and I'm starting chapter 2. This year's classes finish this week and I aim to focus on MMK after that.
Azidonis

Re: Mūlamadhyamaka Kārikā translation

Post by Azidonis »

Looks good, so far. One thing to add: When looking at it, the beginning of the book is at the bottom of the page. This is anti-intuitive, and makes reading it a little more task-y.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Thanks - interesting. I have found your translations page and comments. I have studied many of the standard English texts and translations of these materials and will follow along. Might make the occasional comment also.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

I know this hasn't been published yet:
http://www.amazon.com/Nagarjunas-Middle ... 1614290504
but I thought I would bring it to your attention, since it looks promising.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Jayarava

Post by Jayarava »

dzogchungpa wrote:I know this hasn't been published yet:
http://www.amazon.com/Nagarjunas-Middle ... 1614290504
but I thought I would bring it to your attention, since it looks promising.
It's available in the UK. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nagarjunas-Midd ... 1614290504
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Interesting, I wonder why it's not available in the States yet.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Greg

Post by Greg »

Jayarava wrote:If anyone is interested I am posting my translation and notes of the MMK as I go as a blog: http://middleway-verses.blogspot.co.uk/ The aim is to read the whole text over the summer - thus keeping me interested and reading Sanskrit until classes start in September.

My aim is to practice my (newly acquired) Sanskrit and learn a little. I only know Madhyamaka in outline and this is a chance to get to know Nāgārjuna. If people just wanted to follow along that's fine, but it might be good if you know this text in Sanskrit to chip in with comments and ideas. Particularly on the grammar front.

My point of view is rooted in a close study of the Kaccānagotta Sutta (in Pāli, Sanskrit and Chinese) in the light of Sue Hamilton's work (Especially as found in her book Early Buddhism: A New Approach). Thus I share some (but not all) assumptions with David Kalupahana. I won't be getting into the arguments of later exegesis if I can help it. I want to try to take the text on face value, and to explore the idea that thinking of Buddhism in terms of experience rather than ontology is a useful hermeneutic principle.

Chapter 1 is complete, and I'm starting chapter 2. This year's classes finish this week and I aim to focus on MMK after that.
Thanks, perhaps I will follow along although I will be of no help with language issues.

You may be aware of this title already, but if your interest is primarily Nāgārjuna vis-à-vis śrāvaka teachings, I'd highly recommend Nāgārjuna in Context: Mahāyāna Buddhism and Early Indian Culture by Joseph Walser.

Return to “Academic Discussion”