Potala

zamotcr

Potala

Post by zamotcr »

Hello, I have read that Guanyin has a Pure Land. I can't find any information available about her Pure Land, also, I thought that she was with Amitabha in Sukhavati. Can Amitabha be in several places?
I think her Pure Land is called Mount Potala, is that a place in this wordly Earth, isn't it?

Namgyal

Re: Potala

Post by Namgyal »

Avalokiteshvara (Guan-yin) is a disciple of Amitabha who has both male and female forms. Sukhavati is his Pure Land but he resides on Mount Potalaka, after which the Potala Palace is named. Amitabha's abilities are nearly limitless.
:namaste:
zamotcr

Post by zamotcr »

But where is Potalaka? It is supposed to be a mountain here in earth where Guanyin dwell.
Also it is possible to Guanyin to be at any place at the same time?
sinweiy

Post by sinweiy »

Mount Potalaka (traditional Chinese: 補陀落山; simplified Chinese: 补陀落山; pinyin: Bǔtuóluò shān, Japanese: Fudaraku-san), which means "Brilliance",[1] is the mythical dwelling of the Buddhist bodhisattva Avalokitesvara, said to exist in the seas south of India. The mountain is first mentioned in the final chapter of the Flower Garland Sutra, the Gandavyuha Sutra, where the chapter's protagonist journeys to seek the advice of the Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara. Later Buddhists, such as the Japanese Yogacara monk, Jōkei (monk) espoused aspiring rebirth on Mount Potalaka as an easier way to attain progress on the Buddhist path than the more well-known Pure Land of Amitabha Buddha. Mount Putuo in Zhejiang, Putuo Zongcheng Temple in Hebei and the Potala Palace in Tibet are named after Mount Potalaka.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Potalaka
_/\_
Amituofo!

"Enlightenment is to turn around and see MY own mistake, Other's mistake is also my mistake. Others are right even if they are wrong. i'm wrong even if i'm right. " - Master Chin Kung
zamotcr

Post by zamotcr »

Yes that's what I read. But is there any explanation? I mean, if that Pure Land is near India, why we didn't found there Guanshiyin or why we should expect to reborn there if its a Earthly mountain, better if I take a boat and go there... Or is invisible for us?

Also, why if Guanshiyin has a Pure Land, she dwells in Sukhavati or is at both?
WuMing

Post by WuMing »

May I suggest: seek the pure land in your mind. they can't be found in this world of dust.
Life is great and death has to be just as great as life.
- Mike Tyson
People not only don't know what's happening to them, they don't even know that they don't know.
- Noam Chomsky
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Namgyal wrote:Avalokiteshvara (Guan-yin) is a disciple of Amitabha who has both male and female forms. Sukhavati is his Pure Land but he resides on Mount Potalaka, after which the Potala Palace is named. Amitabha's abilities are nearly limitless.
:namaste:

Amitabha powers are great, but not as a "All-Mighty-God", because he is not able, for instance, to stop famine on countrys, stop wars, cure cancers, etc.
sinweiy

Post by sinweiy »

zamotcr wrote:Yes that's what I read. But is there any explanation? I mean, if that Pure Land is near India, why we didn't found there Guanshiyin or why we should expect to reborn there if its a Earthly mountain, better if I take a boat and go there... Or is invisible for us?

^ 《華嚴經》說:「於此南方有山,名補怛洛伽山,彼有菩薩名觀世音自在。」又云:「海上有山多聖賢,聚寶所成極清淨,華果樹林香遍滿,眾流池沼悉具足,勇猛丈夫觀自在,為利眾生住此山,汝應往問諸功德,彼當示汝大方便。」善財童子受教向南而行,漸至此山:「見其山巖谷之中,泉流縈映,樹林翡鬱,香草柔軟右旋布地,觀自在菩薩,於金剛寶石上,結伽趺坐,無量菩薩,皆坐寶石,恭敬圍繞,而為宣說大慈悲法。」

At the kingdom Vast and Great, seeking Dharma from the Elder Utpala. Traveling south to meet Good Knowing Advisors, until he sees the Bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara on Potalaka Mountain. He is expounding the Teaching of Great Kindness and Compassion, and surrounded by innumerable Bodhisattvas. He says to Good Wealth,
‘Good Man, I have accomplished a Bodhisattva’s Liberation Door of the Conduct of Great Compassion… ‘I vow that all living beings who are mindful of me, or recite my name, or see my person, will be completely spared and removed from all apprehension and terror.’
http://www.buddhistbooks.info/avatam/chapt39d.html

Avatamsaka sutra didn't state that it's Avalokiteshvara's PL, it just says that it's a dwelling place only.
just a location where Avalokiteshvara was staying then.
perhaps people use it to create a PL out of it, so that they can be reborn there. though PL shouldn't be a place or not a place. it should be when "the mind is pure the land is pure."
_/\_
Amituofo!

"Enlightenment is to turn around and see MY own mistake, Other's mistake is also my mistake. Others are right even if they are wrong. i'm wrong even if i'm right. " - Master Chin Kung
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

I suggest that Potalaka is or was Maldives, a group of 1 192 islands and atolls south of India. On the Islands there has been Srauta school of Hinduism, Mahayana, Vajrayana and Theravada buddhism, before conversion to Islam.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maldives#Buddhist_period
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

zamotcr wrote:Yes that's what I read. But is there any explanation? I mean, if that Pure Land is near India, why we didn't found there Guanshiyin or why we should expect to reborn there if its a Earthly mountain, better if I take a boat and go there... Or is invisible for us?

I would think that Guanyin dwells on Potala Mountain in much the same way that Manjushri is said to be always abiding on Wutaishan. Also, Bodhisattvas on their level have uncountable emanations, appearing where ever they are needed.
zamotcr

Post by zamotcr »

jmlee369 wrote:
zamotcr wrote:I would think that Guanyin dwells on Potala Mountain in much the same way that Manjushri is said to be always abiding on Wutaishan. Also, Bodhisattvas on their level have uncountable emanations, appearing where ever they are needed.
I don't know in which way is Majushri abiding on Wutaishan. Haven't read about that.

And I'm with you, the "Pure Land" of Guanyin is anywhere, since she is everywhere, in any mountain, in any place, she will come when we call his name. I don't think is a correct view want to rebirth in her Pure Land like some masters did, I don't think is a real place, but more like a metaphor of his presence.
sinweiy

Post by sinweiy »

I don't know in which way is Majushri abiding on Wutaishan. Haven't read about that.
yeah, it's a "cultural" thingy in China.
Mount Wǔtái is one of the Four Sacred Mountains in Chinese Buddhism. Each of the four mountains are viewed as the abode or place of practice (dàocháng; 道場) of one of the four great bodhisattvas. Wǔtái is the home of the Bodhisattva of wisdom, Manjusri or Wénshū (文殊) in Chinese.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Wutai
_/\_
Amituofo!

zamotcr

Post by zamotcr »

Then, what is the traditional approach to this? And the possible exegesis or view of actual/modern Buddhism?
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

There are lots of stories of people who have made the pilgrimage to Wutai Shan and who have met or seen Mañjushri in one form or another. This includes tibetans, europeans and other non-chinese persons, John Blofeld writes that he saw there in the night sky glowing colours of orange-red. Some have met Mañjushri as an unknown beggar...

There grows a special bush on Wutai Shan that has grey seeds and on these seeds there are five black spots in a circle, they stand for A Ra Pa Ca Na, syllables in Mañjushri's mantra. I have seen a mala, a rosary, made of these seeds.

Possible exegesis: Bodhicitta or mind of enlightenment exists, Bodhisattvas exist, and their activities also exist.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)

Return to “Pure Land”