Dorje Drollo Practice

jay

Dorje Drollo Practice

Post by jay »

A little while back (cant remember which retreat), ChNN gave the lung for dorje drollo at the end of a retreat- I did not have time to write the mantra down. I would be grateful if someone could pm me how to do the practice and mantra. Is there an action mantra too?

I read on the forum here that in the short tun you can use dorje drollo instead of guru tragohur/ simhamukha. How does dorje drollo differ from guru dragphur?

Many thanks,

J
michaelb

Re: Dorje Drollo Practice

Post by michaelb »

I thought ChNN gave the Drollo empowerment, not just the lung.
there was a thread about it here: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6781
jay

Post by jay »

It was after that retreat- possibly the samantabhadra retreat in August 2012...
MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

michaelb wrote:I thought ChNN gave the Drollo empowerment, not just the lung.
there was a thread about it here: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6781
ChNN gave the don wang for Drollo, not exactly an empowerment but not different either. Someone with more background could explain the difference perhaps.

As far as I know, ChNN has only given don wang during webcasts, not empowerments. It's impractical to give an empowerment via webcast. But I am definitely not an "expert."
I am well aware of my idiocy. I am also very aware that you too are an idiot. Therein lies our mutuality.
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

Yes, in the thread I linked Malcolm said it was "a so called don dbang, a meaning empowerment" which is still more than a lung, isn't it? I'm not sure I understand the difference, though. Anyway, there is a short Adzom Drollo sadhana on TBRC also mentioned on the thread I linked. The mantra will be in that.
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

Donwang is indeed an empowerment. Not in the form of elaborate initiation though, since it is not necessary in the levels of Anu and Ati Yoga.
The Dorje Drolod mantra is uploaded in the "Files" section of the Webcast website.
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
jay

Post by jay »

I dont remember receiving the don wang for the practice- i didnt do the retreat in february 2012, from what i heard in one of the collective practices at the end of the webcast retreats since august 2012, it was a lung. Is it still ok to do the practice without having done the earlier retreat in feb 2012?
Pero

Post by Pero »

Yes it's fine to do it without the empowerment otherwise he wouldn't be giving it. But I think you should try to get it in the future if this practice is something important to you.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
jay

Post by jay »

Thankyou everyone for your help- much appreciated :smile:

I have to get better at writing down what lungs ChNN gives at the end of retreats, as sometimes he can drop an unexpected lung in and sometimes the pronouniation can sound v.different to whats written down.
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

All practices, including mantras, which ChNN Rinpoche is transmitting, are included in the books by SSI Publications.
A few of them are uploaded in the Webcast website, open or restricted sections of Files.
jay

Post by jay »

I just went back and listened to the webcast archive files and the lung is the root mantra. He did not give the action mantra. Does that mean that the action mantra wont work?
Pero

Post by Pero »

jay wrote:I just went back and listened to the webcast archive files and the lung is the root mantra. He did not give the action mantra. Does that mean that the action mantra wont work?
Yes (though even he did gave lung for, according to Rinpoche if you don't do the main mantra sufficiently the action mantra won't work anyway). I think you might need the empowerment for that. :shrug:
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
jay

Post by jay »

hmm...how would the practice work without the action mantra?
heart

Post by heart »

MalaBeads wrote:
ChNN gave the don wang for Drollo, not exactly an empowerment but not different either. Someone with more background could explain the difference perhaps.

As far as I know, ChNN has only given don wang during webcasts, not empowerments. It's impractical to give an empowerment via webcast. But I am definitely not an "expert."
A "don wang" is an empowerment, if you don't believe me ask Rinpoche yourself.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
heart

Post by heart »

jay wrote:hmm...how would the practice work without the action mantra?
You do the main mantra, main meaning the most important mantra.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

heart wrote:
jay wrote:hmm...how would the practice work without the action mantra?
You do the main mantra, main meaning the most important mantra.

/magnus
Exactly! :twothumbsup:
ChNN Rinpoche's advice is not to run behind the action mantras too much.
MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

heart wrote:
MalaBeads wrote:

A "don wang" is an empowerment, if you don't believe me ask Rinpoche yourself.

/magnus
I believe you, I believe you, Magnus!

I remembered that Rinpoche said the don wang was the essence of the empowerment. Dronma's distinction that it was not an elaborate initiation was helpful. All these terms!!

Cheers.
I am well aware of my idiocy. I am also very aware that you too are an idiot. Therein lies our mutuality.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Is the Dragphur empowerment HYT?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
heart

Post by heart »

Sherab Dorje wrote:Is the Dragphur empowerment HYT?
The one ChNNR gives is Anuyoga.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I think all the donwangs are Anu or higher--you can't really equate the yana schemes of Sarma and Nyingma, but Anu is high level.

Also--for most practices I know of, action mantras are auxiliary and there's often a requirement to complete a certain number of main mantras first--or a certain time requirement. But I don't know if this is the case in CNNR's system.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Return to “Dzogchen”