Budddhism in Nepal

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Tenpa2010

Budddhism in Nepal

Post by Tenpa2010 »

here I propose to discuss about buddhism in Nepal, and to post some events.
Greg

Re: Budddhism in Nepal

Post by Greg »

Tenpa2010 wrote:here I propose to discuss about buddhism in Nepal, and to post some events.
Very interesting topic - the only surviving strand of Indian Buddhism.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

However, Nepal is not in East Asia by any stretch of the imagination (except for maybe some expansionist Chinese's).
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

tingdzin wrote:However, Nepal is not in East Asia by any stretch of the imagination (except for maybe some expansionist Chinese's).
Problem solved: I've relocated this thread to the General Mahayana sub-forum.

I look forward to learning more about Newari Buddhism & Buddhism in Nepal generally.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Buddhism in Nepal

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

This 'buddha boy', now known as Dharma Sangha, seems to practice Newari Buddhism:

http://www.dharmasangha.info/
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
mandala

Re: Buddhism in Nepal

Post by mandala »

Will wrote:This 'buddha boy', now known as Dharma Sangha, seems to practice Newari Buddhism:

http://www.dharmasangha.info/
Ahh, i wondered what happened to 'buddha boy'... haven't seen anything about him since he went 'missing' some years ago.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Here is a group in Ashburn, Virginia, USA that is practicing some form of Newar Buddhism.

http://www.meetup.com/Byoma-Kusuma-Meditation/

...and Dance Mandal (based in the US out of Portland, Oregon) practices traditional Nepali Buddhist dance:

http://www.dancemandal.com/

I bring this up because there may be some ways in which these practices (which are closely tied to geographic location in Nepal) may be possible to practice outside Nepal.
Bhusuku

Post by Bhusuku »

Hey... I'm too really interested in the Nepali Dharma tradition(s) - unfortunately, it seems there ain't many people who share this interest (at least not outside of Nepal). And most of the literature that is out there is either out of print or at least very difficult to find... anyway, here's some of the stuff I came across so far...

Alexander von Rospatt: The Survival of Mahayana Buddhism in Nepal

Allen, M.R.: "Buddhism without monks: the Vajrayana religion of the Newars of Kathmandhu valley." In: South Asia 2 (1973)

David Gellner: Monk, Householder, and Priest; What the Three Yānas Mean to Newar Buddhists

David N. Gellner: Monastic Initiation in Newar Buddhism

Hubert Decleer: "Master Atisa in Nepal: The Tham Bahil and Five Stupas' Foundations according to the 'Brom ston Itinerary", Journal of the Nepal Research Centre 10 (1996), S. 27-51

John Locke, Karunamaya: The Cult of Avalokitesvara-Matsyendranath in the Kathmandu Valley, Kathmandu, 1980

John Locke: “The Unique Features of Newar Buddhism” in T. Skorupski, ed., The Buddhist Heritage, Buddhica Britannica Series Continua I, Tring, Institute of Buddhist Studies, 1989

John Locke: Newar Buddhist Initiation Rites

Kazumi Yoshizaki: Abstracts of research papers on Newar Buddhism in Nepal

Min Bahadur Shakya: Monasticism in Newar Buddhism:A Historical Analysis

Nalinaksha Dutt: Buddhism in Nepal

Siegfried Lienhard: "Nepal: the Survival of Indian Buddhism in a Himalayan Kingdom." In: The World of Buddhism. Buddhist Monks and Nuns in Society and Culture, ed. H. Bechert and R.F. Gombrich, London: Thames and Hudson, 1984

Todd T. Lewis: Mahayana Vratas in Newar Buddhism

Todd T. Lewis: Popular Buddhist Texts from Nepal - Narratives and Rituals of Newar Buddhism
Tenpa2010

Post by Tenpa2010 »

Are there english translation of newar's buddhism sadhanas from sanskrit?
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Snellgrove's translation of the Hevajra tantra, and some other translated Hevajra commentaries were based partly on Nepalese Sanskrit manuscripts. I'm sure there are other works as well. Someone once posted on this forum somewhere that Sanskrit sadhanas just give the instructions while Tibetan sadhanas really structure everything into a liturgy.
yegyal

Post by yegyal »

I'm not sure what you mean by Buddhism in Nepal. It seems like you want to know about Newari Buddhism, which is essentially Vajrayana and traditionally only found in Kathmandu valley. Otherwise, most of the Buddhism you find in Nepal would fall under the, admittedly misleading, heading of Tibetan Buddhism.
Tenpa2010

Post by Tenpa2010 »

In my first post I mean any kind of dharma tradition in nepal/ in 5th post I asked about newari texts/

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”