Standard Mahayana

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
oushi

Standard Mahayana

Post by oushi »

As we have so many wise and educated people in this topic, I will ask a question regarding tradition development. During this process new ideas are introduces and the volume of teachings increase. What if a faulty idea is introduced, or an ideas that can be easily misinterpreted later on? Is there a way of cleaning the standard Mahayana content? Because it is inevitable that some faults will/was introduced, and later structures were build upon them.
Say what you think about me here.
Astus
Former staff member

Re: Dealing With Desire

Post by Astus »

oushi wrote:What if a faulty idea is introduced, or an ideas that can be easily misinterpreted later on? Is there a way of cleaning the standard Mahayana content? Because it is inevitable that some faults will/was introduced, and later structures were build upon them.
Doesn't really work like that. Mahayana contains a wide range of teachings, and then specific traditions and teachers select some they prefer and emphasise those. When someone starts talking about "cleaning the standard Mahayana" (or something similar), it is just a prelude to a new idea under the cover of "restoring the original".
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
oushi

Post by oushi »

Astus wrote:
oushi wrote:What if a faulty idea is introduced, or an ideas that can be easily misinterpreted later on? Is there a way of cleaning the standard Mahayana content? Because it is inevitable that some faults will/was introduced, and later structures were build upon them.
Doesn't really work like that. Mahayana contains a wide range of teachings, and then specific traditions and teachers select some they prefer and emphasise those. When someone starts talking about "cleaning the standard Mahayana" (or something similar), it is just a prelude to a new idea under the cover of "restoring the original".
Ok,
So, what standard Mahayana is?
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

oushi wrote:what standard Mahayana is?
There is no such thing. It simply means the general features that most of the Mahayana schools have.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
oushi

Post by oushi »

Astus wrote:
oushi wrote:what standard Mahayana is?
There is no such thing. It simply means the general features that most of the Mahayana schools have.
Are those general features "written in stone", unchanging? When where those established?
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

This really is a tough one, and I am inclined to agree with Astus.

But I wonder, if we had to propose a template for standard Mahayana, how would we do that (perhaps it requires another thread).

I used the term Mahayana Paramitayana because I think that generally all Mahayana Schools would uphold the the Paramitas/Perfection of generosity, ethics, patience, effort, concentration and wisdom.

I would also propose that all the Mahayana schools (as well as Theravada for that matter) uphold the 4 Dharma Seals:

All that is conditioned is impermanent,
All that is tainted is suffering,
Nirvana is peace,
All phenomena are empty and devoid of self.
༈ འདུ་བྱེད་ཐམས་ཅད་མི་རྟག་ཅིང༌།
ཟག་བཅས་ཐམས་ཅད་སྡུག་བསྔལ་བ།
ཆོས་རྣམས་སྟོང་ཞིང་བདག་མེད་པ།
མྱང་ངན་འདས་པ་ཞི་བའོ། །

Also, there is the idea of Bodhicitta, the mind or spirit of enlightenment, wishing to become a Buddha for the benefit of all sentient beings. The methods to achieve that aim, however, are widely variable as well as the philosophies behind those methods. The vastness of the Mahayana corpus makes this discussion a very difficult one because, as Astus mentioned, certain practice traditions within Mahayana emphasize different Sutras and Shastras.
oushi

Post by oushi »

JKhedrup wrote:The vastness of the Mahayana corpus makes this discussion a very difficult one [..]
I would say impossible, that's why I started to ask those questions. There are many teachings inside Mahayana that contradicts each other. We can easily find masters teaching something that will contradict even those general features you mentioned.
If I bring a teaching that does not fit the big picture, how will you refute it? Statistically? This only shows that any discussion and interpretation is futile.
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Difficult, yes, but futile no.

Some of the greatest Mahayana philosophical works by great masters such as Nagarjuna, Chandrakirti, Shantideva arose because of these debates about different views. Having to think about a view different than our own forces us to think, research and come to our own conclusions. I think it is a valuable pursuit.
oushi

Post by oushi »

JKhedrup wrote:Difficult, yes, but futile no.

Some of the greatest Mahayana philosophical works by great masters such as Nagarjuna, Chandrakirti, Shantideva arose because of these debates about different views. Having to think about a view different than our own forces us to think, research and come to our own conclusions. I think it is a valuable pursuit.
No doubt it is, I was rather referring to arguing about what is the right approach/view. If there is no revision, there are no limits. If there are no limits, everyone is right. Two people may argue about something, have opposite views, and both will be right. On what basis can you say: "No, it's not Mahayana" ?
Astus
Former staff member

Re: Standard Mahayana

Post by Astus »

I prefer to distinguish Tibetan/Northern and East Asian/Eastern Mahayana. We may also talk about different eras of Mahayana in India. In Tibetan Buddhism what is called common Mahayana is based mainly on specific shastras and it is very structured and mostly left as it is because it has little relevance to their actual daily practice that is primarily Tantra. In East Asia there is different situation, because Chinese Buddhism gradually developed its own systems based mostly on sutras.

While Madhyamaka is the main form of Mahayana philosophy in Tibet, in East Asia it has long been forgotten. The Abhisamayalamkara is used in Tibet to interpret the Prajnaparamita works, in China it was initially the Dazhidulun (大智度論; Mahaprajnaparamita-upadesha by Nagarjuna) but that was somewhat superseded by indigenous schools. Yogacara played a somewhat stronger role in East Asia than in Tibet, but while in Tibet they have it now as "Shentong Madhyamaka", in East Asia it is still a marginal thing.

In East Asia the ruling teachings are Tiantai, Huayan, Jingtu and Chan, in Tibet it is Madhyamaka and Vajrayana. To say that at least the paramitas and bodhicitta is common probably misses the point how such terms are used in the two Mahayana groups. For instance, saying that bodhicitta is separated to conventional and ultimate, that's a Tibetan thing. In East Asian Mahayana it is a given that a bodhisattva wants to liberate all beings, the 4 vows are regularly recited, but there is no special training for that like tonglen. The paramitas are known of course, but they are not emphasised and they are considered to belong to a gradual path while teachings like Chan are the sudden path.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

JKhedrup wrote:Difficult, yes, but futile no.
Not so difficult. In fact you already did it.

A teaching is Buddhist or not if it adheres to the Three/Four Seals.

A teaching is Mahayana if its ultimate goal is to support attaining enlightenment for the benefit of all beings, in order to bring all beings at least to liberation but Buddhahood at best (so relative and ultimate Bodhicitta).

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
oushi

Post by oushi »

It looks like a great tree with many branches. Can two leafs be compared? Can one take precedence over the other? Since there are no strict criteria, it is not possible. Tomorrow somebody may add another leaf, or just try to do it. What can succeed here? What can fail? Is it based on authority, or popularity?
muni

Post by muni »

Understanding of emptiness ego and all phenomena with universal compassion, wishing ALL to be free in that way.

:soapbox:

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”